Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #61
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I believe what Telus is offering as a retention deal is $43 for 50Mbps if you yell at them enough.
Which is funny, because not 2 days before, I was fighting Telus on a $50 a month for a year plan that a manager promised me but didn't actually apply, and they straight up refused to honor for more than 6 months.

When I called to cancel after I arranged my new install, the lady was really helpful and tried to offer me better plans to stay. I told her there was no chance I was staying on now that this offer from Shaw was on the table.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #62
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Sorry to detail this thread everyone.

So if I have this right, I can leave everything the same, but turn wireless off on the modem and plug a higher end Asus into the Ethernet and use it as my wireless access point? That would be way easier.

Thanks so much FlameOn!
I know that Telus won't allow bridging their modem, so you'll have to setup a new router in bridged mode.

I've posted this before in other threads, but the best router out there right now is Google's OnHub, especially for ease of setup/optimization.

https://on.google.com/intl/en_ca/hub/

Also, that wireless repeater you have is likely causing more interference than anything. Creating multiple wireless access points in a multi level home is a great idea, but they need to be wired.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #63
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I've posted this before in other threads, but the best router out there right now is Google's OnHub, especially for ease of setup/optimization.

https://on.google.com/intl/en_ca/hub/
100% Agree, Google array of antennas is a trick that high-end commercial wireless manufacturers to get far superior signals. In my house, I can get a usable signal for at least 100ft in any direction with the On-Hub.

There is a slight difference between the ASUS and TP-Link, the ASUS, has a wave functionality where it strengthens the signal when it detects motion in that direction. The TP-Link has an extra high-powered antenna that points forward. For my needs, the TP-Link was the better choice.

Also if you are in a house with a lot of interference, supposedly OnHub supports radio handoff between multiple OnHubs which will allow you to seamlessly transition between access points. Not sure how they would force the switches to expire the ARP cache though without plugging into managed switches, so I not sure how effective this feature would be.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #64
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn you all. Looks like this deal is a great fit for me (faster speeds and cheaper). So I'll be signing up. Especially now that Telus announced that they are increasing internet service by $5/month starting this month. Poor timing on their part.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-18-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #65
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just signed up. Will be switching from Telus. My next bill for Telus 50 will be just over $90. 3 times the speed for less is a no brainer. Plus Telus enforces their data caps and I have gone over and had to pay extra a couple of times.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #66
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Just a side note, but the "Advanced" modem wifi modem they give you is actually garbage.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #67
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Question for the uber geniuises here.

I'm getting this at my new house. It's about 3400 sq ft across 3 floors (2 story plus basement).

Will the built in wifi be good enough or should I keep the TP-LINK AC1750 I bought on Prime Day? (Bought it when I was going to go with Teksavvy) and bridge the shaw modem?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #68
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I just signed up. Will be switching from Telus. My next bill for Telus 50 will be just over $90. 3 times the speed for less is a no brainer. Plus Telus enforces their data caps and I have gone over and had to pay extra a couple of times.
That's exactly what I'm paying now. Also I traded in my Telus modem last week after a power surge hit my house, and my 50mbps speed that I pay for is suddenly now only 35mbps. I tried to get Telus 100 when I first switched over, but there is no fibre my neighbourhood. There is literally no reason for me not to switch. Telus cannot possibly offer me a better deal, they physically cannot match the speed.

It's also really annoying how they make you cancel through their stupid retention department. I'm not looking forward to waiting on the line for 30 minutes, then having to listen to another 30 minute speech about staying when I know for certain I am going to switch.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #69
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
That's exactly what I'm paying now. Also I traded in my Telus modem last week after a power surge hit my house, and my 50mbps speed that I pay for is suddenly now only 35mbps. I tried to get Telus 100 when I first switched over, but there is no fibre my neighbourhood. There is literally no reason for me not to switch. Telus cannot possibly offer me a better deal, they physically cannot match the speed.

It's also really annoying how they make you cancel through their stupid retention department. I'm not looking forward to waiting on the line for 30 minutes, then having to listen to another 30 minute speech about staying when I know for certain I am going to switch.
When I signed up with Shaw they took care of cancelling my Telus internet for me.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #70
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I believe what Telus is offering as a retention deal is $43 for 50Mbps if you yell at them enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I got 150 for the price of 50 and it wasn't for a limited time. It's forever
Just finished talking with Telus retentions. They gave me $15/mo off home phone indefinitely, and internet 100 for $45 for one year with unlimited downloads. 150 was not available in our neighborhood. That should save us about $500 this year while tripling our download speed.

She said it was impossible to offer any deal over 12 months, but left me her name and also placed a note in our account to match the $80/mo for the second year, however I will have to call in after the first year ends. We will see.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #71
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
When I signed up with Shaw they took care of cancelling my Telus internet for me.
Really? That would be great. I'll ask them about that when I talk to the Shaw rep.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #72
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just signed up for this, might be a good time to short Telus stock, this is going to take a huge chunk of business from them.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #73
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just got my modem set up in bridge mode and am using my old dlink dir655. My speeds are averaging about 50mbps wired and about 20mbps wireless. Is this because of my crappy router? Does anyone know if the Shaw router is better than this? If so, I'll just use it instead of mine. Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #74
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got them to mail my new router to me. Come on Canada Post employees, you don't want to strike, right?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #75
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #76
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I split this into it's own thread- didn't want anybody to miss the deal.
Thanks as I'm switching and wouldn't have found this out without this thread.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #77
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just called Telus to cancel and they game me an offer which I am now debating. My savings would be $60 a month.

Hmmmm I really don't need the speed and would have to pay $150 in cancellation fees. Might just stay with them but that was a quick $700 savings a year for one 15 minute call. Thanks CP.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #78
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor kid was just soliciting door to door for Telus, and had no idea about the new Shaw plan. I had to pull it up on my phone to show him the offer and pricing (he wouldn't call up the Shaw site on his Telus iPad). His job just got a lot tougher.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #79
GWSurvey
Draft Pick

@calgaryblood there are other things to think about. Price guarantee in this economy is a good thing to have, especially when both companies raise their rates often. Second with all the lost revenue that Telus is incurring from customers switching, or matching the shaw deal or giving discounts to retain, they will have to make that up some how. I imagine price increases may be coming. If shaw puts a dent in revenue, I imagine fiber deployments may slow down. This is my opinion, it could be completely wrong so take it for whatever it is.
GWSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GWSurvey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #80
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm only getting about 100 Mbps after installing the modem and having it switched to bridge. Am I going to have to call Shaw and ask why?
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150