Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #161
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kokanee and the kootenay ice? I'd move there.

Can't get Kokanee gold in Ottawa.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #162
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Things change in 30 years, but my parents reasoning was that very few people in Cranbrook at that time seemed to aspire to leave, or go to school.
I think this is huge. I never grew up in a small town, but from observing my extended family it seems like many of my cousins fell into the trap of having a small town mindset. A minority actually managed get out and educate themselves. Many of them were married with kids working service jobs in their early 20s (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not would I envision for my eventual children).

It also seems like there is a surprising amount of trouble for teens to get into in smaller towns - lots of drugs going around and lots of kids with time on their hands.

I think growing up in a small town would be great for younger kids, but once they become teenagers it's probably better to be in a city. There's something to be said for surrounding your kids with high achievers and a wide variety of educational opportunities.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #163
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I think this is huge. I never grew up in a small town, but from observing my extended family it seems like many of my cousins fell into the trap of having a small town mindset. A minority actually managed get out and educate themselves. Many of them were married with kids working service jobs in their early 20s (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not would I envision for my eventual children).

It also seems like there is a surprising amount of trouble for teens to get into in smaller towns - lots of drugs going around and lots of kids with time on their hands.

I think growing up in a small town would be great for younger kids, but once they become teenagers it's probably better to be in a city. There's something to be said for surrounding your kids with high achievers and a wide variety of educational opportunities.
My parents were also both from farms near another small town in Saskatchewan. Granted me old man had things far tougher than my Mom did. But I think he remembered his own up bringing and all the things he didn't like about it when he decided to take a financial hit and move to Kamloops.

Although in the long run I think the move eventually paid off when my Mom sold here house in Kamloops.

I have cousins still around that same small town in Saskatchewan. They don't lead a bad life by any stretch. In fact they're very happy. But the ones who migrated to larger cities do tend to be better educated and a be building more wealth.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #164
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Sylvan Lake is the Airdrie of Red Deer.

Which has nothing to do with moving to BC, but the truth must be free.
V
Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #165
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Sylvan Lake is the Airdrie of Red Deer.

Which has nothing to do with moving to BC, but the truth must be free.
I've done my share of small town living.

When I first moved to Sylvan Lake in 2001, it was more of a town. Now it's an inconvenient suburb of Red Deer with a Lake that gets more visitors than it should.

I haven't lived there since 2005 but that place really changed.

I also did two years in Osyoos, and like Sylvan Lake was a place that once it closed down on Labour day became a ghost town...except there the ghosts were the seniors that lived there year round. At least in Osoyoos you could enjoy the Lake from March into October.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #166
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Let me guess, "just 15 minutes to get to downtown Vancouver"?
That was a use of hyperbole and sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #167
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I'm a big fan of Christina Lake, but man, I don't know if I could LIVE there.
Trail is small. Christina Lake is tiny. There's zero chance I'd want to live there. The place she bought is much nicer, and twice the size, but it's not near anything. I'll visit in the summer for some cycling, golfing, and swimming, but I have no idea what to do in the winter.

My mom and her husband both have elderly mothers still in Trail. Their mothers are both extremely upset over the move, as they are losing people that help them out on an almost daily basis. Well not losing, but it's a 90 minute drive, when roads are bare, if they need help.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2017, 03:59 AM   #168
J3FFR3Y
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Loved reading about all the comments about higher insurance rates. My insurance rates are much better living in BC now. I'm not sure if Vancouver Island is cheaper than the mainland(heard from numerous people) but I find it much more affordable. Even beer prices aren't too much different from Calgary, at least from my experience so far. Can anyone else living in Vic or anywhere on the island attest to this?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #169
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3FFR3Y View Post
Loved reading about all the comments about higher insurance rates. My insurance rates are much better living in BC now. I'm not sure if Vancouver Island is cheaper than the mainland(heard from numerous people) but I find it much more affordable. Even beer prices aren't too much different from Calgary, at least from my experience so far. Can anyone else living in Vic or anywhere on the island attest to this?
My car insurance tripled when I moved from Calgary to Vancouver for the same coverage. I raised the deductibles and the final bill was double what I paid in Alberta.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #170
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe insurance is a lot more expensive in bigger cities, so there's that advantage to moving to a small town, I guess.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #171
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3FFR3Y View Post
Yeah Vancouver insurance is nuts, for good reason. I was told the lower mainland has the worst insurance in BC because of the high accident rate. If I'm not mistaken Vancouver has the highest rates while the island has the lowest BC rates. When I moved from Vancouver to Victoria a few years ago mine dropped by ~1/2.

When I moved to BC from Calgary 15 years ago everything in BC was much more expensive than what I was used to. Having recently visited Calgary I was surprised that pretty much everything except gas is now on par or more expensive. I think alcohol has seen the biggest swing where I was paying up to double for most of my go to beers although we probably weren't hitting up the best liquor stores for pricing.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote