Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #81
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting, if true. San Jose was reviled by many in MLS under his watch (primarily due to player actions, and their crappy supporters, but they were very successful last season. Started out slow this year, which led to his firing.

Tyler Green ‏@tylergreenFC 8m
In "here's what we're hearing" news... I've been told by a couple sources that Frank Yallop will take over the #CanMNT in August #NotSure
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #82
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If true, that is a load of crap. We already had Yallop for a period. No thank you.

Get some new blood in there...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #83
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agreed. Preemptive to the probable firing of Rennie in Vancouver?
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #84
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are to look locally, I think Jason de Vos would be a great choice. He's currently undergoing his UEFA Class A license this week and has been blogging about the experience. de Vos is also a huge proponent of Long Term Player Development, which is the driving force between score no longer being kept at certain age groups.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/jason_de_vos/?id=425791

Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #85
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I personally think Yallop is a good manager and the Canadian job is pretty low profile/pay, so I'm not hugely disappointed though certainly a retread isn't ideal.

I think this next cycle will be a tough ask for the Reds no matter who is at the helm but in 6 years we will be a favorite to qualify, with 3 pro academies in the country and a huge selection pool teams like Jamaica and Trinidad are going to be in the rear view mirror very quickly.

Also Rennie needs to go yesterday, he is just a terrible manager. Poor tactician and player manager along with the nepotism he has demonstrated towards former Railhawks and Scottish players has taken a team that was right in the mix a couple steps backwards.

It's a real shame what has happened in Vancouver. 5 or 6 years ago they looked like they would have their own first class stadium and academy and really be at the forefront of developing MNT players. Flash forward a few years and they are a mediocre team with one Canadian who plays for them, irregularly, playing in a huge concrete football stadium with astroturf and basically renovating a couple fields at UBC to be their home base.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #86
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colin Miller will again be interim coach for the Gold Cup. With FC Edmonton not playing in July, it makes sense.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=425783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
It's a real shame what has happened in Vancouver. 5 or 6 years ago they looked like they would have their own first class stadium and academy and really be at the forefront of developing MNT players. Flash forward a few years and they are a mediocre team with one Canadian who plays for them, irregularly, playing in a huge concrete football stadium with astroturf and basically renovating a couple fields at UBC to be their home base.
While it's disappointing that Vancouver is not fielding more Canadians, Russell Teibert has pretty much locked down a spot in the starting 11, and is quickly becoming a very talented midfielder. I would say that he, and Jonathon Osorio at TFC, are the best young Canadian players in MLS right now.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #87
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I personally think Yallop is a good manager and the Canadian job is pretty low profile/pay, so I'm not hugely disappointed though certainly a retread isn't ideal.

I think this next cycle will be a tough ask for the Reds no matter who is at the helm but in 6 years we will be a favorite to qualify, with 3 pro academies in the country and a huge selection pool teams like Jamaica and Trinidad are going to be in the rear view mirror very quickly.

Also Rennie needs to go yesterday, he is just a terrible manager. Poor tactician and player manager along with the nepotism he has demonstrated towards former Railhawks and Scottish players has taken a team that was right in the mix a couple steps backwards.

I think Rennie is a decent manager, he got the caps into the playoffs last year and was very unlucky not to go through against LA. Vancouver are picking it up again this year they look great going forward but he needs to sort out that defence and goalkeeper
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #88
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
While it's disappointing that Vancouver is not fielding more Canadians, Russell Teibert has pretty much locked down a spot in the starting 11, and is quickly becoming a very talented midfielder. I would say that he, and Jonathon Osorio at TFC, are the best young Canadian players in MLS right now.
Teibert has been phenominal. I know we have debated it before, I truly believe that it is unrealistic for Vancouver and Montreal to field a lot of Canadians because the clubs are relatively new to the MLS. In a few years we will start to see the results of the academies, but certainly not yet.

Interestingly, Toronto has always fielded a number of Canadians and their on-field record has been nothing short of abysmal over the years. A once-enthusiastic fan base has waned over the years and they are running out of patience. Obviously the club is in no danger of folding due to the deep pockets of MLSE, but they are starting to lose the public's attention. "But we play lots of Canadians" isn't going to help ticket sales, TV viewers, or the overall health of the franchise. Meanwhile, both the Impact's (Bernier) and the Whitecaps' (Teibert) top Canadians have each played more minutes than any of the Canadians on Toronto. Obviously this is a massive oversimplification, but it does beg the questions: in the current environment, is favouring players based on nationality over ability detrimental to on-field success? And will on-field success result in higher profile for pro soccer in Canada and eventually a more successful culture of development with the help of the academies? I answer yes and yes, and I think that the Canadian MLS clubs need to focus on winning now, investing in player development, and then start signing the next generation of Canadian players.

Handing out a patronage appointment to a Canadian isn't helping the national program - if that player can't cut it based on his own abilities, the we've already failed. I'd love to see more Canadians playing professionally in Canada, and the resulting benefits to the national team, but it all starts with development. A third-year MLS club simply hasn't had enough time to develop anyone.

All of that aside, I do think that the MLS needs to fix the inequality of domestic/foreign regulations between the Canadian and American clubs. A Canadian on an American team counts as a foreigner, whereas an American on a Canadian team counts as a domestic. If Canadians were to be treated as domestics on the American-based teams, there would be more opportunities for them to play professionally on this continent.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #89
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry to hijack the thread there... Vancouver is loaded with some of the best young Canadian talent in their PDL team and reserves, and Thomas and Alderson who have already turned pro are going to feature in the MNT before long, just getting an opportunity at first team level for young players has been tough. Their network is huge as well with all their Whitecaps academies across western Canada too, hopefully the Canadian situation improves and i think it wil in time, maybe we even steal Koffie as has been suggested.

I think I still have a bone to pick over waterfront stadium getting denied despite Kerfoot offering to pay for it, then having to foot the ridiculous bill in BC to retrofit BC Place when a private citizen would have paid for a nicer stadium. Would be happy to see them thrive and win some silverwear, even a Casacadia Cup or Canadian Cup would be nice.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #90
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jimmy I agree on the domestic player status item... I think that developing Canadian players is about balance. You're right that the team needs to thrive and the players need to earn their spots, however I think you need to present opportunities too. Its not about handing Canadians jobs but when players like Edwini Bonsu and Kyle Porter can handle a substitute appearance or two, they need to get that or their development gets stunted, or worse, they leave as they have.

Instead they have stocked their reserve bench with some mid career journeymen americans who don't have an upside and ultimately they might get a little short term gain, minimal as it is, but in the long run both they and the MNT are worse off.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #91
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I party agree that it would be nice to provide some opportunities, and I do think that will come with time. The unique thing about soccer is that there are so many professional clubs all over the world - opportunity is pretty much everywhere. The problem that Canadian soccer has always had is that our players often aren't of the calibre to seize those opportunities - at home or abroad. Or, cynically, they hold a passport because one of their parents was born elsewhere.

I just don't think that three clubs in a pro league is the ticket for success for the national team and its players. If a Canadian player is good enough, he'll be able to crack the lineup of dozens of clubs all around the world. It's getting the player to that point where I believe that the focus should be. The MLS clubs are starting to plant the seeds. The great Canadian soccer harvest won't be coming for a few years yet. Worst analogy ever.

But I will concede this: having a young Canadian like Teibert doing really well does capture the imagination of the fans. I'd like to think that young Whitecaps fans are inspired by a good Canadian player like that, and it will also help transfer interest from club soccer to the national team when they've got a local guy to cheer on.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #92
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roster for the Gold Cup was announced. Has a few too many holdovers from the WCQ cycle for my liking, but still a good mix of youth and vets. I hope we cap Aleman against Mexico

GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor
GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
GK- Simon Thomas | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
D- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg
D- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC
D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Adam Straith | Unattached / sans club
D/M- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll
M- Keven Aleman | ESP / Real Valladolid
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
M - Julian de Guzman | Unattached / sans club
M- Will Johnson | USA / Portland Timbers
M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / Alki Larnaca
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / C.D. Santa Clara
M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M/F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | Unattached / sans club
F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC
F- Simeon Jackson | Unattached / sans club
F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #93
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think leaving out De Ro is a big mistake but I'm not the coach. Feels like Mexico without Chicharito, just has a feeling of nonsense to me.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #94
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
I think leaving out De Ro is a big mistake but I'm not the coach. Feels like Mexico without Chicharito, just has a feeling of nonsense to me.
I like De Rosario - he's a legendary Canadian who has always answered the call for his country. Not to mention being a good mentor for the younger players.

But I do understand why they elected to look past De Ro this time - he'll likely be retired from soccer by the time the next World Cup comes around, and at the very least, certainly past his prime. If the ultimate goal is qualifying for a World Cup that he likely won't even be in, the CSA probably wants to give as much time and attention to the next wave of Canadian players.

That being said, having him play the role of a super sub/mentor wouldn't have been a bad thing either. De Ro or DC being OK with having him leaving the league for that type of role is unlikely, however. He's in a funny situation where he's still playing well enough currently, but the CSA is looking a few years down the road.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #95
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time de Rosario scored a goal that was not a penalty kick was June 2008. 5 years since he's scored a goal during the course of play, and those goals were against the soccer power of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. The last goal he scored of any consequence was the 2007 Gold Cup.

I'm okay with not having de Rosario on the team. Would rather his spot be filled by a newcomer like Teibert or Aleman.

Last edited by shermanator; 06-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #96
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I'm surprised Cavallini isn't on the list. I understand he wants to concentrate on his club, but I figured this would be a good development tool for him.

At least he's been capped.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #97
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

is it difficult for the Canadian team to train and organise when there are many playing around the world?
I think the rugby team has this issue, but I guess having Canadians play in better leagues is the way to improve.

I noticed there was no Junior Hoilett on that list, is he still playing for Canada?
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #98
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Hoillett has yet to declare which senior program he is going to play for.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #99
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cavallini turning us down is too bad but as Mango mentioned, at least he's cap tied. Aird apparently wouldn't even come to the camp, looks like he might be another guy who is born and raised in Canada and makes his home here but plays for his parents nation. Door is still open anyway and he's made no decision but clearly with the senior team calling him he's waiting for Scotland.

Love the youth on the roster, the future looks great in the midfield although it will be weird not seeing tiba out there.

On the flip side, forward and goal depth, ouch. Simon Thomas is the 4th stringer for the caps and they are burying him, he's no youth player at 23 anymore either, pretty bad that he's on our senior roster. Forward's the same, two unattached guys in Haber and Edwini and Ricketts was really poor in WCQs.

Cap tying Aleman is a real positive going forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #100
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm excited to see what Ossorio can do. He's looked fantastic this season and could be a big piece going forward.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote