Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #41
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cranbrook? Jealous. Great area for mountain biking and hiking. Additionally, not far from the U.S.

Regarding the pay cut: you'll save a lot of money living in a small town. It's been my experience that there just isn't that much to spend money on vs living in a city like constantly going to restaurants.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #42
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a friend who moved there and loves it. He had a beautiful place out by west bragg creek, but was tired of living here. He mountain bikes and skis a bunch at Mustang. He also has a place in Whitefish, so it makes it really convenient for him. He doesn't regret it one bit.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #43
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

If you are from Calgary and the wife is from Trail then Cranbrook is at least kinda sorta central. My best advice is to go there for a weekend and tour around and see how you like it. The outdoor choices are obvious but go and see what kind of feel or vibe you get from spending time there.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #44
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
She's in town in time for the fair? Lucky gal.

Fwiw I know a couple living on the Gold Coast who are born and bred Trailer Trash.
The Gold Coast is a blight on an otherwise amazing country. I would rather live in Trail.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #45
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I remember when my wife went on mat leave and we suddenly had to deal with a few thousand less per month. On paper it made zero sense. There was no feasible way we were going to be able to afford it all, and yet everything worked out just fine. Happened again with the second kid, and it happened again when they were both in daycare. I don't understand the alchemy, but Dr. Ian Malcolm was right: life finds a way.

If you have to cut back you'll cut back, but my guess is town living is going to do that cutting for you. Swim lessons, gym memberships etc are all dirt cheap compared to here. I would take the enthusiasm of those who have lived there as a massive vote of confidence.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #46
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I remember when my wife went on mat leave and we suddenly had to deal with a few thousand less per month. On paper it made zero sense. There was no feasible way we were going to be able to afford it all, and yet everything worked out just fine. Happened again with the second kid, and it happened again when they were both in daycare. I don't understand the alchemy, but Dr. Ian Malcolm was right: life finds a way.

If you have to cut back you'll cut back, but my guess is town living is going to do that cutting for you. Swim lessons, gym memberships etc are all dirt cheap compared to here. I would take the enthusiasm of those who have lived there as a massive vote of confidence.
This thread has definitely made me appreciate how great this fan community is and it's members! Moving in into a new locale will definitely take some adjusting to especially since I have lived in Calgary most of my life. I guess I'm lucky and fortunate enough that I can move around the country with my job. I personally like small town and I feel relaxed when I visit my wife's place of birth but Im not so sure living there full time.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #47
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I just accepted an offer in Vancouver. Even got a small pay raise out of it. Also my wife, being a UBC student, qualifies us for nice campus housing for couples. Our expenses will actually go down by moving to Vancouver.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, at least until you find out how much better the shoe selection is. Then you'll be broke.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #49
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
This thread has definitely made me appreciate how great this fan community is and it's members! Moving in into a new locale will definitely take some adjusting to especially since I have lived in Calgary most of my life. I guess I'm lucky and fortunate enough that I can move around the country with my job. I personally like small town and I feel relaxed when I visit my wife's place of birth but Im not so sure living there full time.
Cranbrook is much nicer than trail...not saying much
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #50
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What are the personal tax implications , if any, when you hold a job in BC but maintain Alberta residency? Thanks in advance.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #51
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Cranbrook is a wicked town, especially if you like outdoors stuff.
And you're 20 minutes from Kimberley, which is awesome as well.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #52
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, at least until you find out how much better the shoe selection is. Then you'll be broke.
Yes but the cost of the shoes are balanced out by how much money he saves on the cheaper weed.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #53
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
What are the personal tax implications , if any, when you hold a job in BC but maintain Alberta residency? Thanks in advance.
Provincial income tax is dictated by which province you reside in on December 31 if I am not mistaken. And I suppose this would also help determine which Provincial programs you may or may not qualify for, and possibly your EI benefits should something happen to your job. Other than that I think things would be the same regardless of where you live.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #54
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well, I just accepted an offer in Vancouver. Even got a small pay raise out of it. Also my wife, being a UBC student, qualifies us for nice campus housing for couples. Our expenses will actually go down by moving to Vancouver.
Doubtful.... Not only are income taxes higher, but you also have PST, carbon tax on gas, extra liquor taxes, etc...

On top of that, the cost of everything is more. They even have laws limiting how cheap beer can be. This is from someone who lives in Vancouver.

That being said, UBC is a place with beaches and is also located in a rain forest. You'll realize pretty quickly what you're paying for.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #55
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta also has minimum booze price.

Stupid law ruined my $0.25 hiballs.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #56
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Doubtful.... Not only are income taxes higher, but you also have PST, carbon tax on gas, extra liquor taxes, etc...
This isn't correct, depending on your income level. I don't have the latest exact rates in front of me, but previously if you earned up to $95,000, you would pay less income taxes in BC compared to Alberta. Above $95,000 (estimated) you would pay less in Alberta. With the new rates for 2016 looks to be close to that figure again. After that you'd pay a little more in BC. Any income above $300,000 will pay less taxes in BC than AB. I don't have charts or break even points on my phone, but there are many income levels in BC that pay less taxes than in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
This isn't correct, depending on your income level. I don't have the latest exact rates in front of me, but previously if you earned up to $95,000, you would pay less income taxes in BC compared to Alberta. Above $95,000 (estimated) you would pay less in Alberta. With the new rates for 2016 looks to be close to that figure again. After that you'd pay a little more in BC. Any income above $300,000 will pay less taxes in BC than AB. I don't have charts or break even points on my phone, but there are many income levels in BC that pay less taxes than in Alberta.
Either way, BC has a lot of ways to tax you. Car insurance will be about double. It's a state run insurance that the government takes funds out of.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #58
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I would warn that you get your kids out of Cranbrook before they get high school age. Good place for young kids, but very few of the kids I knew did much after high school. Whereas in a place like Calgary theres plenty to keep a teenager interested, and post secondary options.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #59
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Either way, BC has a lot of ways to tax you. Car insurance will be about double. It's a state run insurance that the government takes funds out of.
My car insurance actually went down by $100 when I was living in Vancouver last year. Zero speeding tickets (at the time) and accidents
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #60
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone is interested here is a link showing the taxes in the different provinces. At a taxable income of $75,000 the taxes are higher in Alberta than BC. http://www.ey.com/CA/en/Services/Tax...6-Personal-Tax
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post: