Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #561
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
So realistically what's everyone's expectations of the Heat this year for the playoffs?

I say they make it to the third round and lose in 7. They're a much deeper team this year than they were in their inaugural season and they were able to make it to game 6 of the second round before losing to Hamilton.

Lately they've been scoring in bunches and Kolanos is looking all-AHL. Taylor and Irving are looking unstoppable. And Ward will have these guys prepared for the playoffs big time.

What's everyone's thoughts?
I think they either get knocked out in the first round here or make it to the Calder Cup. I don't like this best of 5 business for the first round, especially with the first 2 games on the road. They need to split those first 2 games to have a chance, they can't go down 2-0 to the Admirals and expect to win this series.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #562
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

To make it to the Calder Cup they'll probably have to beat OKC, which is unlikely given their record against them this season. I wouldn't rule the Heat out, but I think OKC is the better team.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #563
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
I think they either get knocked out in the first round here or make it to the Calder Cup. I don't like this best of 5 business for the first round, especially with the first 2 games on the road. They need to split those first 2 games to have a chance, they can't go down 2-0 to the Admirals and expect to win this series.

I believe the Heat had the choice to either start 2 on the road or 2 at home. They chose 2 on the road. Guess Ward really likes his chances of winning at least one on the road to start.

I might be mixing the above 2 on road and 2 at home with different league.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #564
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I believe the Heat had the choice to either start 2 on the road or 2 at home. They chose 2 on the road. Guess Ward really likes his chances of winning at least one on the road to start.
Yeah, I like the Heat's chances on the road. They were the best regular season road team for whatever reasons. All the best Admirals players are up with the Preds right now (like Ellis, Bourque, Klein, and Josi), whereas no Heat are up with the Flames. I like their chances.

I think this series will come down to goaltending.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #565
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I like the Heat's chances on the road. They were the best regular season road team for whatever reasons. All the best Admirals players are up with the Preds right now (like Ellis, Bourque, Klein, and Josi), whereas no Heat are up with the Flames. I like their chances.

I think this series will come down to goaltending.
Never thought about the Admirals players being with the Preds. Good news for heat fans.

Do you know of anyway to watch the games? I remember asking during regular season and you said something about a high cost. Wonder if it is cheaper now that they are in playoffs?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #566
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I might be mixing the above 2 on road and 2 at home with different league.
Yes, they had the choice.

It's either start at home and give up home ice advantage in Game 5, or start on the road and have three straight at home to end the series (if necessary).

With the Heat's success on the road this year, keeping home ice advantage, if you need it, seems like the smart move. Now, if they lose both games in Milwaukee, the decision won't seem so smart anymore.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #567
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting to see that there are three series, Rochester vs. Toronto, Connecticut vs. Bridgeport and Hershey vs. W-B/Scranton were they play 2-2-1. Did they have a choice, or is it the cities are close enough together they don't mind traveling for the 5th game, if necessary

Of the remaining 5 series, the higher ranked team choose to start on the road in 4 of the 5 series. Only Norfolk gave up home ice in game 5 to get the first two games at home
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #568
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
interesting to see that there are three series, Rochester vs. Toronto, Connecticut vs. Bridgeport and Hershey vs. W-B/Scranton were they play 2-2-1. Did they have a choice, or is it the cities are close enough together they don't mind traveling for the 5th game, if necessary

Of the remaining 5 series, the higher ranked team choose to start on the road in 4 of the 5 series. Only Norfolk gave up home ice in game 5 to get the first two games at home
I assume it would be a distance issue. Rochester is just across Lake Ontario from Toronto (170 miles); Hartford and Bridgeport are both in Connecticut (60 miles); and Hershey and Wilkes-Barre are both in Pennsylvania (100 miles).
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #569
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My expectations are conference finals. Two good goalies, 3 scoring lines, and a simple off the boards and out defensive system. I don't know enough about some of the other teams in the West, but I know that the Heat were a first place team for a while this season, and they ended the season like they deserved home ice advantage.

I have seen certain offensive players pick apart the Heat with shocking regularity. I'm hoping we've got enough depth to have harder matchups for players like that.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #570
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So realistically what's everyone's expectations of the Heat this year for the playoffs?

I say they make it to the third round and lose in 7. They're a much deeper team this year than they were in their inaugural season and they were able to make it to game 6 of the second round before losing to Hamilton.

Lately they've been scoring in bunches and Kolanos is looking all-AHL. Taylor and Irving are looking unstoppable. And Ward will have these guys prepared for the playoffs big time.

Win their last playoff game

Hopefully, players see a big club that needs improving and could have openings so they see an opportunity for team and individual success.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #571
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never thought about the Admirals players being with the Preds. Good news for heat fans.

Do you know of anyway to watch the games? I remember asking during regular season and you said something about a high cost. Wonder if it is cheaper now that they are in playoffs?
Actually, the playoff package at AHL Live is very reasonable. For $40 you can get all of the Heat's home and away games in the first two rounds of the playoffs (if they get to the second round).

Or you can buy each game separately for $10.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #572
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Win their last playoff game

Hopefully, players see a big club that needs improving and could have openings so they see an opportunity for team and individual success.
I think they do and if there's any time in the past 10 years of Flames history that requires/needs young players to step up, it's now.

If that's not motivation enough, I don't know what is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #573
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danny Taylor gets the start in game 1
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #574
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Danny Taylor gets the start in game 1
That's a surprise, not that Taylor hasn't been good but to bypass our supposed heir apparent for the Flames. I wonder how this is going to shake out?

It could be Taylor is playing for an NHL contract, so this is a test.

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-20-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #575
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
That's a surprise, not that Taylor hasn't been good but to bypass our supposed heir apparent for the Flames. I wonder how this is going to shake out?

Wouldn't be surprised if Irving is still adjusting to having a new baby in the family (I'm thinking sleep related). Probably a good choice to go with Taylor who's been both good and focused.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #576
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

Troy Ward said it had to do with recent activity. Irving hasn't played as much down the stretch due to call-ups and the birth of his a child. Couple that with Taylor's strong performance securing home ice for the 1st round of the playoffs, led to the decision to start Taylor
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #577
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

here we go

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #578
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Yeah I agree. I read that this morning and it says the Heat were ahead of the Admirals in standing then I see they are starting the playoffs on the road. That's pretty stupid as far as I am concern. I guess the reason for the home advantage is play at home on the first two games then play an extra game at home later on. It's not like they are conflicting the Canucks' playoff series especially tonight.

Anyways, good luck on the Heat. I hope the boys go all the way!
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #579
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure 'unstoppable' is a good quality in goalies!

I expect the Heat to get through the first round. After that, they'll most likely will be facing much stiffer competition and I'll be happy if the Heat are able to at least be competitive and make a good series out of it. A Calder Cup appearance is probably too much to hope for.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #580
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to sound mean and heartless, and don't take it that way, but I am happy to tell everyone that Jusso Puustinen broke his kneecap!!

He's back in Europe and won't be able to tear up the Heat like he did during the regular season.

Tags
heat