Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #1501
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are they all but crowning Man City right now? If United wins and City loses next week, doesn't United win? Or are the odds of City losing next week too great? I'm just a casual observer, so I don't know all the ins and outs.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #1502
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Why are they all but crowning Man City right now? If United wins and City loses next week, doesn't United win? Or are the odds of City losing next week too great? I'm just a casual observer, so I don't know all the ins and outs.
Ya, its just very unlikely that City drops points next week. Its not impossible though, so nothing is set in stone yet.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #1503
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Why are they all but crowning Man City right now? If United wins and City loses next week, doesn't United win?
If City ties and Man U wins then United wins as well, but as mentioned a loss is pretty much out of the question and a tie is unlikely as well given the stakes and opposition.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #1504
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

City are playing QPR who I believe are the worst away side in the league

they have taken 11 out of a possible 54 points, while City have taken 52 of 54 points at home
Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1505
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vertonghen was named footballer of the year in the dutch league

he will be leaving this summer, most places seem to have Spurs as the front runner with Arsenal behind and then a bunch of other clubs interested but behind those two

Van der Vaart said this a few days ago

Quote:
”I hope Jan comes to Tottenham. As far as I know the deal is close to being done.”
former Ajax player so hopefully that has some sway, I think he is going to be a fantastic player in the PL
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #1506
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more win! hopefully next week doesn't turn into a "typical city" moment
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1507
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Random effed up story that's hardly worth a new thread so in here it goes ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/10227259
I love these stories. Sportsmanship deserves some credit. The ref got it wrong but is in a hard place to change his decision so they scuffed the penalty on purpose. Nothing wrong with that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #1508
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets see some Mark Hughes & Joey Barton magic.

Oh dear god, I'm cheering for Joey Barton.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1509
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

move over Anfield Cat
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #1510
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now they're just trying too hard. Anfield Cat just happened, it was spontaneous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #1511
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alcaraz scores in the 87th

Blackburn relegated
Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1512
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Alcaraz scores in the 87th

Blackburn relegated
Come on Bolton, follow suit!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #1513
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Bolton stay up, I would also like QPR to beat Man City so they don't win the league, which means I would like Villa to go down

so Bolton need to win by 18 this weekend
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #1514
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I hope Bolton stay up, I would also like QPR to beat Man City so they don't win the league, which means I would like Villa to go down

so Bolton need to win by 18 this weekend
City may as well win it, just make it clear for all to see that the team that spends the most wins.

As for Bolton, I've never really liked them and so I hope they get canned. They've had a long run in the PL and have had their chances, time for some new blood.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #1515
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That was quite the match. I think that Barnet Flame got full value to see that one live and in person! A draw at the Emirates is never a bad thing, and Norwich proved again that they'll always go for it and won't sit back and hope for the best.

Great entertainment this morning, and as an unabashed Norwich supporter, it was a very fair result.
I was in the corner of the North Bank so had a great view of 4 of the 6 goals. Thought we were going to batter you after we went 1 up just as I was taking my seat.

But the Norwich response was fantastic and ten minutes into the 2nd half, we re lucky to be 1-2. Norwich were pretty rare in that they kept playing attacking football at the Emirates with the lead.

There should have been 2 nailed on penalties my end - one for either side. A deserved result in the end and quite the roller coaster of emotions.

Arsenal will have to step it up at West Brom - I don't know how many chances we want to sew up third.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #1516
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

This is the current Wikipedia article on Steve Kean.

Steve Kean
Personal information
Full name Stephen Kean[1]
Date of birth 30 September 1967 (age 44)[1]
Place of birth Glasgow, Scotland
Height 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
Playing position Winger
Club information
Current club Blackburn Rovers (manager)
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1985–1987 Celtic 0 (0)
1987 → Swansea City (loan) 4 (0)
1987–1988 Alloa Athletic 1 (0)
1988–1991 Academica Coimbra[2] 12 (1)
1991–1992 Bath City ? (?)
1993–1994 Newbury Town ? (?)
Teams managed
2010– Blackburn Rovers
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).

Stephen "Steve" Kean (born 30 September 1967) is a Scottish football manager and former player. He is the current manager of Blackburn Rovers in England's Premier League. He was a winger, playing in Scotland, England and Portugal in the 1980s and 1990s, before becoming a manager. He is the worst ever manager in the Premier League, the fans constantly protest against him, he drinks, drives and tells loads of lies.
KEAN OUT!
KEAN OUT!
KEAN OUT!
KEAN OUT!
KEAN OUT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kean
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #1517
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lille star Eden Hazard has dropped a hint that he will join Manchester City or Chelsea in the summer as he revealed he will "definitely" be wearing blue next season.....
.....When asked on whether he prefers red or blue - Lille's home kit is red - Hazard told Canal+ that he likes both colours but added: "It's the blue that I'll be wearing next season. Definitely the blue."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...?newsfeed=true

Toffees will nab him.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #1518
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
They can have him. Lots of bluster for very little substance.

Lots of transfer talk going on, specifically surounding van Persie and Dzeko.

I dont know what the deal with Dzeko is, when he was in the lineup he was fantastic, but Mancini didnt want to use him.

As for RvP, I think he goes. I was listening to a few talking heads last night (you limeys call them 'punters?') and they made a very good point. At the end of the day this was his best season, Arsenal were a one-trick pony and he was it. Hes 29 and he should look around at the squad and question whether that group are going to win anything major anytime soon. If the answer is no and hes got offers from elsewhere, he should seriously consider them.

Its nothing against the club, but players have a limited window for winning in their careers, there is no sense in him staying loyal to the club and eventually finishing his career without any major hardware.

In short, hes likely to pull a Cesc Fabregas.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #1519
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And, in a similar vein, what is the deal with the Bundesliga? I've been noticing that they have players transferred to clubs not only outside of Germany but even within the Bundesliga before the season is even finished.

For example the Podolski to Arsenal and guys like Marco Reus to Dortmund, etc. How does this work? It seems very strange to me coming from the context of hockey and most North American professional sports as well as the EPL where players arent sold or traded to another team but finish out the season with their current team.

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of this so any explanation is appreciated.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #1520
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

RVP is going

Wenger said a few weeks ago he thinks he can convince him to stay, convince meaning he is all ready thinking about leaving, and for all the money that Arsenal make it's clear the owners would rather keep that money than spend it

so they won't be happy losing an asset for free, I think it's the same as the Nasri situation last year, RVP treats it with more class though

Last edited by d_phaneuf; 05-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Closed Thread