Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will the Tkachuk hearing result be?
No discipine 57 14.29%
Fine 175 43.86%
1 game 123 30.83%
2 games 37 9.27%
3 games 3 0.75%
4 or more games 4 1.00%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #121
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He'll have Treliving, (maybe Burke) and his agent on the line with him. I'm sure they will bring up all the comparables from this past season and even this past game to mitigate the penalty.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #122
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Dirty play, but selfishly, I don't want a suspension. I want him in the lineup.

Give the boy a stern talking, and let him out there against our enemies.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #123
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

So the wheel of NHL justice will get spun again.

Do we need more player safety people because for all the slashes and hacks and lumberjacks that have played us this year and been successful in injuring and targeting our skilled players someone needs to remind the league about Johnny.

If I were Tkachuk I'd have Burke walk in just to observe the meeting just so whatever gets handed down he reminds them.

So much disrespectful stuff amongst the players happens and guys just pile on.

The good old days they settled it by dropping the gloves and now we have all these arm chair apologists and expert analysts and blah blah.

The next games against the kings are going to be interesting and I hope the league realises it when guys are running Tkachuk all game without incident.

I really believe they make these situations worse by making such a stink and yet we lost our best player to injury for several games and then there was an after effect when Johnny came back.

The NHL needs to wake up....The retaliation that's going to ensue as a result will have allot of people doing 180's from the stances they are taking right now calling Matty a dirty player.

Doughty or whoever on the kings better be real careful when Ferlund is back next game.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #124
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly, after having watched it from multiple angles in slow-motion, I'm not even sure he hits him with his elbow. Shoulder, upper-back of the arm. Could have been called interference as the puck was still being ringed around, but he's not even looking at Doughty and doesn't swing the elbow. I understand where the "love the player, hate the act" crowd is coming from, but if you go back and see the still frame of contact, and considering the context (board battle, bump back, no look) I don't think it's the targeted, reckless act it's being portrayed as in some circles.

As he's had several brushes with player safety in the past, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get a game or two. I'm sure they would like to establish some disciplinary history for future discipline for a player that definitely plays on the edge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #125
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once again, no consistency with the NHL. And if they bypass the levels of fines and go directly to game suspensions, they are as hypocritical as the referees that call the game. As far as I know, first time offenders are given the benefit of the doubt when assigning discipline. Let's see what happens.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #126
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Thank god the NHL is looking into this. So cheap and awful by Tkachuk, glad to see the league is finally stepping in to stop his loose cannon play. I bet Flames fans think a hearing is over the top but for fans of hockey we can all see this is objectively a dangerous and out of control player. Just glad Doughty doesn't seem to have sustained any serious damage from that kid's reckless and obviously malicious play.
What the #### are you talking about?

Honestly I cant believe that people are loosing their minds over that hockey play. Doughty sold it hard and people are actually buying it. Brutal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #127
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He doesn't even see where Doughty's head is, he didn't target the head, it's a penalty worthy play and that's it.

What about when someone punches a player in a scrum? That's a targeted head attack. Why isn't that suspended?

When Tkachuk was tackled in the corner - that's not a hockey play, that's intent to injure. Why aren't the Kings facing supplemental discipline?

Gaudreau's hand was slashed off this year, why was there no additional discipline levied there?

The league lacks consistency and calls whatever the media spins up. It's garbage.
I'm out of thanks - so thanks for this post.

Tkachuk wasn't even looking at him - not sure how anyone can say he deliberately targeted Doughty's head. Maybe a 2 min penalty at worst.

Last edited by automaton 3; 03-20-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #128
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

Honestly I cant believe that people are loosing their minds over that hockey play. Doughty sold it hard and people are actually buying it. Brutal.
Woosh.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #129
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts summed up on the elbow:

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #130
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Thank god the NHL is looking into this. So cheap and awful by Tkachuk, glad to see the league is finally stepping in to stop his loose cannon play. I bet Flames fans think a hearing is over the top but for fans of hockey we can all see this is objectively a dangerous and out of control player. Just glad Doughty doesn't seem to have sustained any serious damage from that kid's reckless and obviously malicious play.
Derrr

Last edited by Zulu29; 03-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #131
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Woah..."loose cannon?" "Dangerous and out of control player?" pump the brakes a bit there. Doughty is a prick and he got a reminder that his actions have consequences. Dirty play? Absolutely it is and I'll bet he gets fined. But calling him the above references is waaaay over the top.
ResAlien posts only in sarcasm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #132
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Woosh.
Maybe his was a woosh but reading this thread there are many non-woosh's calling for Chucky's head.

There was a comparison to Matt Cooke! Its mind bottling.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #133
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Woah..."loose cannon?" "Dangerous and out of control player?" pump the brakes a bit there. Doughty is a prick and he got a reminder that his actions have consequences. Dirty play? Absolutely it is and I'll bet he gets fined. But calling him the above references is waaaay over the top.
Well....

Spoiler!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #134
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

Quote:
It appears to me that sarcasm may, in fact, not be your friend.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #135
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really don't think he went head hunting and intended to take Doughty out. He pop'd backwards knowing Doughty was about to hit him, which is a normal way to protect yourself along the boards. Doughty is not a clean player in his own right.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #136
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
It appears to me that sarcasm may, in fact, not be your friend.
My bad
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #137
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My bad
There is no need to be sarcastic about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #138
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wasn't Messier and Howe known for plays like this? and use the excuse that the other player skated into his elbow? were they ever questioned for being dirty?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #139
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
wasn't Messier and Howe known for plays like this? and use the excuse that the other player skated into his elbow? were they ever questioned for being dirty?
Yes and that is completely irrelevant. It is not the 60s or 80s anymore.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #140
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have zero issue with a 1 game suspension, and Pearson should get one for his blatant elbow in retaliation. Suspending them both would send a proper message.
Closed Thread