Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon46 Flames vs. Canucks, 8 pm, CBC, NBCSN, TVA

So…THAT happened.

I honestly thought the Canucks had moved on from being a detestable team, but lo and behold they haven’t changed all that much. Forget the debacle of the referees doing a poor job of protecting the players, regardless of who the original aggressors were, that last display in the dying minutes proved once again that the Canucks are just a dirty, disrespectful organization. What’s worse is how badly they lied about the events afterward (Hamhuis claiming the referee deputized him to subdue Engelland), or just flat out disrespected the Flames (I’m looking at you Bieksa). You didn’t hear any of that stuff coming from the Flames post-game interviews, and you likely never will. Not to mention the possibility that Engelland could have been suspended for today’s game despite being ganged up on by 2 Canucks. Don’t worry, his instigator penalty was rescinded by the league, although Hartley was still fined $50 000 for having those guys on the ice at the end of the game. So be it. If that’s the way it’s going to be there’s no doubt the Flames would be willing to oblige.

So here’s what all that means. Instead of the Flames feeling down about a poorly played game overall that they were never really in, they get to go back to their home ice galvanized by the events in the last few minutes. I can only imagine what kind of a fire all this will brew inside the bellies of the Flames the rest of the series. All Vancouver had to do was hold onto some jerseys at the end of the game and let it all die down, but no, they couldn’t help themselves and they had to cross the line, giving the Flames endless motivation to whup them in this series. Even if Vancouver somehow wins the series, they will pay such a physical toll that they’ll likely get swept in the next series.

Ok, so maybe I only half believe what I just wrote, but it does change the motivational dynamic for the Flames. What was a tough and respectable opponent has now become a bitter enemy, especially for those like Gaudreau who are new to the rivalry. Even he got so angry last night that he started mixing it up with the Canucks, something I advise that he no longer do of course. What he needs to do is channel that rage into using his skills to dismantle the Canucks’ defense night in and night out. Seriously, make them look foolish. That would be the best revenge. Of course, we all know the top line has not played particularly well to start this series, but lost in the shuffle of the late game antics was the fact that both Gaudreau and Monahan assisted on Russell’s late shutout breaking tally. It’s not a big deal, but hopefully that kicks them into gear. With the way that trio has struggled, do not be shocked to see them split up for a few shifts like they were in the last game.

It’s time for playoff hockey again in the saddledome. It’s time again for the C of Red to emerge and make any visitor feel very unwelcome. But most importantly, it’s time to move on from the events of last game and start winning some games. Let’s do this. Huge 2 points on the line.

Roster Notes: Bouma, Byron, and Diaz are still listed as day-to-day, but I would not expect any of them to play tonight. Sam Bennett did undergo an evaluation after a jarring hit from Edler slighty shook him up, but according to him and the team he’s 100% ready to go for tonight. I highly doubt you see either of Bollig or Ferland come out of the lineup any time soon after last game's shenanigans. The only possible lineup change I could see is Shore in for Granlund for more size. Hiller is the confirmed starter tonight, even though Ramo finished the last game. Only Kassian is still injured for the Canucks, so expect their lineup to look identical to last game.

Flames
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Colborne
Ferland-Stajan-Jones
Bollig-Granlund-Jooris

Russell-Wideman
Brodie-Engelland
Schlemko-Potter

Hiller

Canucks
D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Bieksa-Sbisa

Lack

p.s.- for anyone going to the game today, no fighting with Canuck fans please. We're better than that.

Go Flames Gooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering what was going to happen to turn this series into a series of hate. Reminds me of the BOA of the 80's, its amazing what a brawl will do to fan bases. Its a new game, if the Flames can play high tempo for three periods, and not let Canucks continue to have puck possession for most of the game, theres a chance to take two games at home. i still think both teams will head back to Rogers arena series tied 2-2, this is a series set for seven.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pregame links.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2014030183
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/nhl/game/1539200/preview/
Old 04-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kill them all!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pregame chant to bring the players out of the dressing room will be magical!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
p.s.- for anyone going to the game today, no fighting with Canuck fans please. We're better than that.
Some Habs fans aren't. http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/canadiens-apologize-after-senators-fans-harassed/ar-AAbgV9q?ocid=mailsignoutmd
Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a**holes everywhere.
Just a higher concentration in some places
Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Dime_On_Flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by Dime_On_Flames; 04-19-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Old tweet
Old 04-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime_On_Flames View Post
Well this is not good

That tweet was from the middle of Game 2. They said yesterday that he's fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FFR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
GoFlamesGo1989
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime_On_Flames View Post
Well this is not good
He just got the wind knocked out of him. He's fine.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I only hope the guys come out under control and are able to be in the game from the get go. This falling behind stuff, while making for great theatre, has to stop if they want to win in the playoffs. Vancouver doesn't score a lot on the road and the Flames need to take advantage of that fact.

The 1st line gets it going, Hiller feeds off the crowd, and Brodie rebounds with a stellar effort.

4-2 Flames.

Oh and although its not my money...the Hartley fine is still ludicrous....the guy should be allowed to play whatever combination of players he wishes.

Last edited by transplant99; 04-19-2015 at 07:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How the eff am I getting through today? Can't stand it. Coffee and baileys, beers with the occasional bottle of Barolo.

Tonight is the celebration of our team. Loud and proud!

Huge games from Jones, Jooris and Ferland.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #13
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to the game in person tonight, for the first time in a long, long time. Really excited to soak it in up close and personal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #14
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

^With a day full of pregame prep., tomorrow is going to be painful. Gladly revelling in the Flames huge victory will get me through... 13-0 Flames. Hat tricks from Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett and Hudler, Hiller with the last one, Gaudreau with 10 assists

Last edited by Icon; 04-19-2015 at 08:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So our #1 D-man is injured and not playing, our #1 center is playing injured, #1 RW playing injured, and now probably our best player in this series is out with an injury. If the Canucks somehow lose this series, they should never hear the end of it.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible for Hiller/Ramo to both get shutouts in one game, because that's whats going to happen.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
What’s worse is how badly they lied about the events afterward (Hamhuis claiming the referee deputized him to subdue Engelland)
Have the linesmen or refs confirmed that this was made up? Because it still baffles me.

Hamhuis isn't a fighter, so you wouldn't expect him to do something like that. Further, he kept his gloves on and is basically just tying Engelland up and dragging him to the ice more than fighting. When Dorsett re-engages after they get up, Hamhuis steps away. So his behavior actually lines up with his story.

What doesn't make much sense is, if the refs ASKED him to do that, why would they then kick him out of the game? The only explanation I can think of is that they were just kicking out everyone involved so as not to have to deal with them anymore.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #18
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Have the linesmen or refs confirmed that this was made up? Because it still baffles me.

Hamhuis isn't a fighter, so you wouldn't expect him to do something like that. Further, he kept his gloves on and is basically just tying Engelland up and dragging him to the ice more than fighting. When Dorsett re-engages after they get up, Hamhuis steps away. So his behavior actually lines up with his story.

What doesn't make much sense is, if the refs ASKED him to do that, why would they then kick him out of the game? The only explanation I can think of is that they were just kicking out everyone involved so as not to have to deal with them anymore.
You'll never get an answer because officials don't comment on games. You'd need the league to comment and they won't. Let's just go with common sense here though. Would a linesman say

"I'm to scared to break that one up, you guys do it."?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Possibly. I mean it doesn't sound like a particularly good idea, but it does line up with what the cameras showed. Is that all we have to go on, really?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #20
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
...now probably our best player in this series is out with an injury...
Who?
Closed Thread