Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #701
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Reed View Post
Yes I agree, Edmonton's flukey "win" yesterday made them hated by all the other teams fanbase, that I understand but I couldn't figure out why the contributor believed it was a slap at the Flames specifically.
The best way to demonstrate that the lottery isn't rigged would be to have the team literally nobody wanted to win come up. Nobody in the league office wanted Edmonton to win; McDavid just became a wasted opportunity.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #702
Darkwater
Scoring Winger

Exp:

hammered beyind.. we are the champs. we can do this

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”
Carl Sagan
Darkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkwater For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #703
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel bad for McDavid. He didn't look very happy during interviews. He has a couple months to think about it. We might see a Lindros move here and I wouldn't blame him a bit. When the Oilers do their pre draft interviews all he has to do is say " Honestly, I don't want to come to Edmonton. I wont be happy."
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #704
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

there is really nothing wrong with the lottery system. this is all funny because we know previously oilers have failed to develop anything, and its going to be funny watching all 4 #1 picks fail again. And please, all this "don't report" idea is nonsenses - he should never ever do that. Who cares what Lindros did - he isnt exactly an example to be followed here.
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #705
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
If I'm reading the entry level/RFA stuff correctly, we're in for a heck of an offer sheet derby in 2018. The likes of which the NHL hasn't seen before.
20% of cap... So if 80 million by then, unless the Oil offer 16x6, McDavid doesn't sign
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #706
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
there is really nothing wrong with the lottery system. this is all funny because we know previously oilers have failed to develop anything, and its going to be funny watching all 4 #1 picks fail again. And please, all this "don't report" idea is nonsenses - he should never ever do that. Who cares what Lindros did - he isnt exactly an example to be followed here.
The oilers are not an example to be followed either.

Mcdavid should refuse to sign with the oilers until the NHL agrees to fix the draft.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #707
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

What were the offer sheet rules when Sid was an RFA? Will this really be different?

I think getback's scenario is the most likely. McD gets ruined by the Oilers. RNH and Yak have not lived up to their billing. McD will be the same.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #708
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
20% of cap... So if 80 million by then, unless the Oil offer 16x6, McDavid doesn't sign
Hmm that's a potentially good no-brainer long-term deal for the Oilers to match if he lives up to the hype.

If I'm a team like the Leafs, I offer him 16x4 (if that is possible). Max deal and UFA at age 25. Then the Oilers have to consider he'll be hitting UFA at age 25 and likely be gone no matter what they do. A team like Toronto could be confident they could resign him at age 25 or even before he hits UFA.

Just looking at the kid's face last night, there's no way he wants to play his entire career in Edmonton, just can't see it happening.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #709
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it's settled who the Oilers will take. McTavish was interviewed at the Under 18 tournament and said he called Nurse (OHL opponent in the next playoff series) to take it easy on McDavid.

This brings interesting possibilities to the Oilers. Maybe a good veteran coach will suddenly become interested in going to Edmonton and maybe some decent UFAs as well. I wonder how they'll blow it this time?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #710
Flame12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe we all fund raise 2 million for him to reenter the draft in 2 years. That would be so funny!
Flame12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #711
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am slightly less angry about this. I had a long rant to my girlfriend who knows slightly more than nothing about hockey and she explained that I should have expected this as it happens every year and even with another good prospect the Oilers will still be drafting first overall for years to come. I am now trying to be relaxed about this as a normal occurrence of the universe and like gravity and electromagnetism cannot be changed.

I definitely feel bad for McDavid though. There were so many options he must have been excited about such as moving down the road to Toronto or Buffalo, going to the sun of Arizona or Florida, or joining a still competitive team in Boston or LA. Edmonton would have been his worst case scenario and could end up costing him millions in salary due to playing with substandard teammates and getting zero playoff exposure.

I also feel bad for all the former GMs in the league who were fired even though they did better than the Oilers. They had to see MacT not only keep his job but now run down the halls cheering in celebration.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #712
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else think that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins isn't a decent start to a team for centre depth?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #713
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Does anyone else think that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins isn't a decent start to a team for centre depth?
It is a really good potential top 3. I am hoping the Oilers think they only need two centers and end up trading Draisaitl for defence or goaltending. That way they end up having no centre depth again.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #714
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
You think its not a decent start?

Its a fantastic start, and a competent management team could work wonders with it. Now what they should really do is trade one or more of their wingers for some high-end D prospects, plus an NHL ready centre so McDavid and Draisaitl can get sheltered minutes behind RNH and the new centre.

Edmonton won't do that though.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #715
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

If Edmonton fired all of their management it would be a good point for an actual rebuild. Rebuild v 2.0.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #716
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its a great start... I was just wondering if anyone would be bold enough to poo-poo that. I think if they move out Hall and Yak and get some good returns and possibly D help they would be much better.

Problem is they aren't developing anyone. Who is Edmontons Gaudreau, or Nik Ehlers? Do they have a Hellebuyck or Comrie in the system to maybe win the starting goaltender job?

Then again, everyone was slamming Winnipeg and Calgary's system just a couple years ago and now we both seem to be pretty well stocked. Who knows.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #717
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've calmed down a little since the initial pissed off stage, and now the question becomes is McDavid ruinable? Or is he going to actually turn things around there?

My guess is he is not ruinable, but he won't turn things around in EDM.

Still can't beleive 4 1st in 6 years. OMG.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #718
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
What were the offer sheet rules when Sid was an RFA? Will this really be different?

I think getback's scenario is the most likely. McD gets ruined by the Oilers. RNH and Yak have not lived up to their billing. McD will be the same.
Crosby was extended before reaching RFA status, as has nearly every other impact player in the past decade.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #719
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yes, I why I hope McDavid holds for nothing less than max. 20% of salary cap. There is your leverage and your reward for losing the lottery and being stuck with them
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #720
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies if already posted...

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post: