Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #1261
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it were me, I'd trade up in the 2nd to nab Nikita Korostelev at the earliest moment possible. Big hard working skater with a bullet of a shot and a natural RW. to me that's precisely the thing the Flames should target but I know they're going BPA. But like I said, if it were me....
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #1262
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Given the quality of players that will be available in the 2nd round, I'd be surprised if the Flames gave up a 2nd rounder to move up. Quantity of picks has a quality of its own.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #1263
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Given the quality of players that will be available in the 2nd round, I'd be surprised if the Flames gave up a 2nd rounder to move up. Quantity of picks has a quality of its own.
Agree with this. Depending on how the 1st round plays out I would even be in favour for trading down a few spots
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #1264
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, the depth is so good this year in the draft that it wouldn't be beneficial to trade up. It would be like trading Granlund and Wotherspoon for Klimchuk.

Klimchuk is a better prospect but it's marginal.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #1265
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
In my opinion, we trade the picks.

You build your contender (roughly speaking) around a legit #1C, #1D and a #1G.

We have a #1C and a #1D. Our 2nd line and 2nd D-pair are great too. Our depth on our other lines is evident. What are we missing?

I think we should swing for the fences and put together a package of picks/prospects/players for a legit #1G.

I would agree with this if we were in a situation where we had made at least the second round of the playoffs in consecutive years. I really don't think now is the time to "swing for the fences" so many players on the flames are young, so many had career years I think it would be extremely shortsighted to trade futures for the present right now.

Use the picks, maybe even trade down in the first to pick up another second round pick if we think we can get our guys a little lower, stuff the cupboards as full as possible and see where we are in a couple of years.

Haven't seen him play, but from what I've read I really like the idea of getting Jeremy Roy in the first. I've seen him ranked as low as the mid-to-late 20's. I think having Hickey and Roy as smooth-skating d prospects would be awesome.

One thing I've noticed is that opposing team broadcasts, which I always try to watch talk a lot about how we are a fast team. LA in particular was going on about how that feeds into our huge advantage in PP to PK numbers. I hope that the team continues to focus on this and in general opts for guys who are 5'11" to 6'2" and wicked fast over looking for 6'2"+ players to build our team size at the expense of speed.

I think the Chicago model of a team fits our personel better than the LA model does.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #1266
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Conroy is going to the U18s, says he is looking forward to seeing 4 or 5 European players that they like but hasn't seen personally yet.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #1267
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

THW’s War Room Rankings – April Edition - Top 120

Excerpt:

On NHL-CS segregated rankings...

Quote:
The four lists make the job easier for Central Scouting but they are limited in terms of where a respective prospect ranks across the lists. Therefore, each year I combine the four lists into one to obtain a better understanding of where Central Scouting is ranking the players overall.

In addition to NHL Central Scouting’s Combined Final Rankings, included on this massive 2015 NHL Draft spreadsheet are the War Room Rankings, which include:
  • E-Mac’s Top 120
  • Plus, the next 60 prospects noted as potential 5th and 6th rounders
  • Finally, the last section is The Others, where other notable draft eligible prospects are highlighted
  • This is your quintessential 2015 NHL Draft resource.

Link to main article: click here.

Related Reading:
Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #1268
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But Alberta likes black and blue hockey....
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #1269
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
After the teens I think the depth is too good to draft two 2nds for another 1st. Unless the Flames really like a player I don't see the point.

Now if the Flames trade their 1st and a 2nd to move into the top ten and get Provorov, I'm all game!
Agreed with this. Would even trade #15 and the Caps 2nd and 3rd rounder to move in the top 10 to draft Provorov
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #1270
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

On Draft Lottery Day, while the Flames not taking part (gladly!) another profile - one that should be in Flames' wheelhouse - another lad where I'm unusually not worried about the Russian Factor:

Next Generation Russian Rocket, Soviet Sniper Evgeny Svechnikov
Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #1271
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

My attempt at a mock draft for the non-playoff teams

1. Edmonton - McDavid
2. Buffalo - Eichel
3. Phoenix - really need a C and have some young D prospects in waiting so go with Strome.
4. Toronto - Marner seems a lot like Nylander, most likely go with Hanifin, but really need C depth in prospect group
5. Carolina - if Marner is there seems like no brainer, have Fleury in system but could still use some D prospects
6. New Jersey - have a ton of young D. need elite forward prospects. Rantanen who can play all 3 forward positions
7. Philly - also have a great group of young D in Morin, Sanheim and Gostisbehere, more likely they go forward. Barzal
8. Blue Jackets - thin in the pipeline on D prospects so likely they take a d-man, Provorov who helps soften the blow of losing Mike Reilly
9. San Jose - could take any position. Takes Harkins because he is a 2 way center with upside
10. Avalanche - could use an elite D prospect but starting to get thinner in the top 6 ranks. Werenski
11. Florida - Takes the power forward Meier to play RW down the road
12. Dallas - Takes Crouse. Safe pick in that he will be a NHLer, but some scouts think he has the potential to be an elite power forward
13. LA - Thomas Chabot. Low on quality D-prospects and Chabot is a great all around D prospect
14. Boston - Yevgeni Svechnikov - large body Russian winger that one day they hope can help replace Lucic

Won't put my pick in for Calgary until I know what spot they are actually picking in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #1272
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd be satisfied with Thomas Chabot.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #1273
VaporTrail
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
3. Phoenix - really need a C and have some young D prospects in waiting so go with Strome.
My guess is that Yotes will keep the Knights' trio intact so they would grab Marner instead. Together with Domi and Dvorak they work magic. The comfort of developing team's top-3 forward prospects playing together as one formation right from junior doesn't happen very often.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #1274
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
My attempt at a mock draft for the non-playoff teams

1. Edmonton - McDavid
2. Buffalo - Eichel
4. Toronto - Marner seems a lot like Nylander, most likely go with Hanifin, but really need C depth in prospect group
5. Carolina - if Marner is there seems like no brainer, have Fleury in system but could still use some D prospects
6. New Jersey - have a ton of young D. need elite forward prospects. Rantanen who can play all 3 forward positions
7. Philly - also have a great group of young D in Morin, Sanheim and Gostisbehere, more likely they go forward. Barzal
8. Blue Jackets - thin in the pipeline on D prospects so likely they take a d-man, Provorov who helps soften the blow of losing Mike Reilly
9. San Jose - could take any position. Takes Harkins because he is a 2 way center with upside
10. Avalanche - could use an elite D prospect but starting to get thinner in the top 6 ranks. Werenski
11. Florida - Takes the power forward Meier to play RW down the road
12. Dallas - Takes Crouse. Safe pick in that he will be a NHLer, but some scouts think he has the potential to be an elite power forward
13. LA - Thomas Chabot. Low on quality D-prospects and Chabot is a great all around D prospect
14. Boston - Yevgeni Svechnikov - large body Russian winger that one day they hope can help replace Lucic

Won't put my pick in for Calgary until I know what spot they are actually picking in.
15. Calgary - Pavel Zacha would be unreal!
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #1275
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't know how the Flames pass on one of Kylington or Zacha if they fall to them.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #1276
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah, I don't know how the Flames pass on one of Kylington or Zacha if they fall to them.
I wouldn't want Kylington anymore. Who's the last player who fell that hard in the months leading up to the draft and still became a huge success afterwards? Would rather take a riser.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #1277
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I wouldn't want Kylington anymore. Who's the last player who fell that hard in the months leading up to the draft and still became a huge success afterwards? Would rather take a riser.

CHL or College players? Tons. Euro's? Not sure there's a significant relevance.

Want to know why I think he slipped? Didn't play in the WJC and the NA media scouts didn't get a good look at him.

EDIT: And it would not surprise me in the least if Kylington went higher in the draft.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #1278
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary is picking at 15, the player that is conditionally #1 on my list is Daniel Sprong.

Right Shooting right winger that would be a top 5 pick if it wasn't for off ice issues.

One of the Flames scouts is an owner of his junior team, so he would be very very familiar with him. Mason McDonald is also on that team.

If his off ice stuff is overblown, I would be shocked if the Flames passed on him as they have no other right shooting right wingers in the organization and he's as skilled as a player like Bennett, he's really that good. If he's on the board and they go elsewhere, you know there is something wrong there.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #1279
King Theo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I though that we could not pick until 23 now, because we are in the 2nd round.
1-14 non playoff teams.
15 - 22 First round losers.
23- 26 Second round losers
27 & 28 Third Round losers
29 SCF loser
30 Cup winner.
King Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #1280
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Theo View Post
I though that we could not pick until 23 now, because we are in the 2nd round.
1-14 non playoff teams.
15 - 22 First round losers.
23- 26 Second round losers
27 & 28 Third Round losers
29 SCF loser
30 Cup winner.
Don't think that happens until you make the conference finals. If we lose to the Ducks we keep 15th
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post: