Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 6 black churches burned down in 1 week only days after Charleston.

http://rt.com/usa/270457-black-churches-fires-south/

Quote:
Six mainly African-American churches in five US states have burned down since the deadly attack on parishioners in Charleston, and officials say at least three fires were set deliberately. The arson cases are being investigated as possible hate crimes.

Historically black churches in Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia have been damaged or destroyed in fires that began last Monday. In two cases, the fires may have resulted from natural causes, while three were determined to be arson, and one is still being investigated.

The fires have drawn suspicion of foul play, beginning just days after 21-year-old Dylann Roof killed nine people at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina. Facing nine counts of murder and possible federal hate crime charges, Roof reportedly told the police he wanted to “start a race war.”

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-30-2015 at 04:55 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I'm confused. Are the churches actually painted black? That should be the only reason they are referred to as "black churches".
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I'm confused. Are the churches actually painted black? That should be the only reason they are referred to as "black churches".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_church
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Oh. Well it's on Wikipedia, so it must be right...
Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is a common phrase.

Whether you like or agree with it or not is another thing all together.

The phrase is common in the States.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Well I do disagree with it. Which is why I was being a wiener.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you can cite a source more reputable than Wikipedia that refutes the existence of a term that has been in use for 150+ years to describe churches that minister to a predominantly African-American congregation, I'd be happy to read through your citation.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I do disagree with it.
Why?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Solid work drawing discussion away from possible hate crimes.

#slowclap
Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh this is a fun thread...
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do you think the arsons could have been set by a Black person? Racial tensions must be high in that area, since the shooting, and people would probably be more vigilant if a suspicious Caucasian came into a Black neighbourhood.

I recall watching this true crime story about serial killer Wade Williams. The detective assigned to the case, happened to be White. He would scope the area, and noticed when Black people saw him, they would immediately call their children in, lock the doors, and peer through windows. He theorized that the killer must be Black, since there was no way a White person could abduct Black children, and go undetected, due to the hysteria that the Black community was in, in the late 70s.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Do you think the arsons could have been set by a Black person? Racial tensions must be high in that area, since the shooting, and people would probably be more vigilant if a suspicious Caucasian came into a Black neighbourhood.

I recall watching this true crime story about serial killer Wade Williams. The detective assigned to the case, happened to be White. He would scope the area, and noticed when Black people saw him, they would immediately call their children in, lock the doors, and peer through windows. He theorized that the killer must be Black, since there was no way a White person could abduct Black children, and go undetected, due to the hysteria that the Black community was in, in the late 70s.

Yeah of course it possible, who has said it isn't?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #13
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well yeah, I guess it's possible that a crazy black guy is running around getting his jollies burning down black churches, but I think it's far more likely that this is racist white terrorists doing this. That's who has been doing it for generations, after all.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

All is possible. Since 1951 91 black churches have been torched in that part of the south .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

But Fox News has told me that because there is a black president that there is no longer racism concerns in the country.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #16
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a 200 year old thread bump?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #17
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Is this a 200 year old thread bump?
Time moves slower in the South. They really need to get some physicists and mathematicians to explore this phenomenon. You'll likely also want to include some geneticists and sociologists.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #18
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We do an outstanding job of labeling and categorizing every single person in this country. So it would follow that we might as well label churches too, after all church is not about faith, its about demographics!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW...the fire in Greeleyville, SC last night was not arson according to sources.

http://ksn.com/2015/07/01/another-bl...cause-unknown/
Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #20
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are they painted black, might just be the stupidest question ever asked on CP. Whether you were being a Weiner intentionally or not is irrelevant. Worst. Question. Ever.

Why are there no white churches, amirite wastedyouth?

Last edited by metallicat; 07-01-2015 at 08:58 AM.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote