Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Cuttincircles
Draft Pick

Default Good Private Screening Clinic Recommendations

My wife has had both cervical and breast pain and went through a series of tests where some doctors seemed concerned and others said, nah its only cysts. It has gone on too long and as usual, our medical system is leaving us with little faith. Her grandfather was sick last year, went through a series of tests and was told it was not cancer then just after Christmas was told he was full of it, and has since passed away.

Wondering any recommendations of a good private clinic whether in country our out of country that some may have used.

Thanks in advance.
Cuttincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry to hear.

Mayo Clinic in Phoenix is the gold plated standard. A weekend visit costs $15 to 20k. But you are looked at by a whole team of doctors, a battery of tests are conducted and a comprehensive report is provided.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The other thing I can suggest is a referral to the Cross Cancer centre in Edmonton.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry to hear, but with Cancer, hope and the will to put up a fight are essential, it seems you have both.

My Mom has lymphoma (double-hit stage 4) and went through three rounds of chemo at Methodist in Houston. Its not MD Anderson, but it was top notch and not as expensive. Pm me if you want full details on costs.

Don't give up.

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 03-10-2017 at 06:26 PM.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttincircles View Post
My wife has had both cervical and breast pain and went through a series of tests where some doctors seemed concerned and others said, nah its only cysts. It has gone on too long and as usual, our medical system is leaving us with little faith. Her grandfather was sick last year, went through a series of tests and was told it was not cancer then just after Christmas was told he was full of it, and has since passed away.

Wondering any recommendations of a good private clinic whether in country our out of country that some may have used.

Thanks in advance.
Are you in Canada or USA or elsewhere?

In Canada, its a public system. Go see your family doctor. You will be looked at, and if needed you will get a referral and receive the attention that any other Canadian would receive. Are you trying to circumvent the system or looking for two-tier care?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post

In Canada, its a public system. Go see your family doctor. You will be looked at, and if needed you will get a referral and receive the attention that any other Canadian would receive. Are you trying to circumvent the system or looking for two-tier care?
Lmao at circumvent the system, in Canada you will die waiting in line, if it's serious.
rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This. This is you response to a thread of this nature? Look in the mirror and then smash your face in it.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any private cancer clinics in Canada?

Some group benefit plans include a product called best doctors, check and see if yours or your wife's (if applicable) offer this benefit

The provides an opportunity for your wife's files to be reviewed by doctors that are above average so to speak.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

One of the most tone deaf responses I have read on this forum. Amazing.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #10
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think taco vidal meant to come off as rude. If it truly was an emergency it would be treated as such. But yes, some doctors miss things and you want to make sure (unbelievably serious thing to miss..)

You mentioned some doctors were concerned. What have they done about the problem? Why has their solution not satisfied you?

I think that's what taco meant to ask.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #11
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Without knowing the TYPE of medical screening or tests that would need to be conducted, I don't know if we can assist you.

I do know that Mayfair Diagnostic does do screening for things such as ultrasound, MRI, X-Ray and others. It's a private business that bills Alberta Health but they also do provide private services as well.

No matter what stay on top of this and be flexible with dates and locations. Sometimes traveling to other towns and cities within the province may provide quicker access to the professionals and sometimes even out of province.

Whatever it is, best of luck to you and your family during this time and hope for the best!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL. I wasnt trying to be rude.

However, the responses clearly show that Canadians love socialized medicine until its their family members that are sick and then a two-tier system is great. Anyways, I wont hijack this thread.

To the OP, hope you find the care you are looking for.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd123 View Post
Lmao at circumvent the system, in Canada you will die waiting in line, if it's serious.
My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and started chemo less than a week later, her surgery was about a month after the chemo finished, as is standard. My dad had similar time frames.

Can you explain which part of that process is too long by your standards?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and started chemo less than a week later, her surgery was about a month after the chemo finished, as is standard. My dad had similar time frames.

Your mom's situation is not typical. There are horrible lead times form most people looking to get treatment. From what I've been able to gather, the speed of your treatment varies greatly on the ability of your doctor to work the system.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trick is getting into the Cancer Centre. Once you are in, the system is great(for the most part) and very quick. Getting a doctor to refer you to them is the key.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Your mom's situation is not typical. There are horrible lead times form most people looking to get treatment. From what I've been able to gather, the speed of your treatment varies greatly on the ability of your doctor to work the system.
http://waittimes.alberta.ca/CancerChemotherapy.jsp
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post: