Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default ATCO Meter Moves

So I have been getting harrassed by ATCO to get my meter relocated outside. The meter has been in my basement in the utility room for going on 50 years, but all of the sudden it is a safety hazard and must be moved outside immediately . They came 2 years ago and insalled a dongle so they could read my meter without coming in the house.

I really don't want my meter outside. Where ever they put it outside it will eat up valuable deck space.

It's projects like these that are the reason we pay more in fees than we do for electricity or gas. They apply to the regulator to execute these Iminent Threat projects in the name of safety, but in reality when they complete these projects they bill the cost directly back to the consumers in the form of distribution charges plus some finance charges.

Basically like if I force loaned you money to buy a new truck and made you pay me back the cost of the loan plus 10%.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can tell ATCO to pound sand. They have threatened to turn off the gas if I don't give them access to my house to move the meter.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OP name checks out.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Aren't you the gasman?
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It seems like a reasonable thing for them to upgrade. You don't expect it to last forever, do you? They moved mine last year and it was painless. How small is your deck that you're concerned about a meter taking up one cubic foot?

Last edited by Sliver; 03-10-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: sp
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They want to be able to access it wirelessly.

Now, and I'm no expert, but they can access the one in the middle of my office from the street which is like 100ft away, so why cant they just put a wirelessly accessible meter in your basement?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really don't follow how the truck purchase/ loan example applies
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your house is completely surrounded by a deck?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They want to be able to access it wirelessly.

Now, and I'm no expert, but they can access the one in the middle of my office from the street which is like 100ft away, so why cant they just put a wirelessly accessible meter in your basement?
If it's a 50+ year-old house, maybe all the lead paint blocks the wireless signal.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Besides reading the meter, they still want to access it for maintenance. I would bet they must replace the meter due to age, and due to policy, must move outside if located inside. It is their meter and you are their customer. I would suggest you let them move the meter. Don't waste yours or their time.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell them you would like to keep the meter where it is but are negotiable on moving the house.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They installed the wireless reader 2 years ago. The reason they gave me for this move is that it is a safety issue. That meters are required by code to be outside now.

On the corner where my gas comes into the house there is a wrap around deck that changes elevation (there are 2 stairs that drop down to a lower deck right at the corner)., which means I can have the meter directly at the top of the stairs where it will stick out in the way. Or I can have it on the wall facing the lower deck, in which case we have a gazebo within three feet of the house as wel as some windows, furnace venting, hose bib etc, the available locations will be neither aesthetically or logistically pleasing

There is an option to reroute the underground across my yard and put the meter on the opposite corner of my house, and that means I have to have my back yard torn up. Then they would route pipe along my siding about 8 m to tie back into the house, which I am sure will look great.

As for things not lasting forever, I would agree, then just replace the meter and get out of my hair, no need to re-route the thing. Also it is in relatively low pressure, sweet, dry service, so I doubt there are corrosion issues.

My analogy about the truck was not clear I guess. ATCO uses these "safety" projects as a source of income/revenue. When they can get a project approved by the regulator the total cost gets passed on to the customer plus a dollar amount for overhead and financing. That is what the charges on your natural gas bill are for. What bugs me is that they work pretty hard to make up justifications for projects because they are a source of revenue for the company and they have the power to make you pay for the cost of upgrades (plus a couple points) and you have no recourse or option.

Next time you look at your gas bill and figure hey I only used $30 worth of gas but my bill is $80... it's projects like these meter moves that are the problem.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

Next time you look at your gas bill and figure hey I only used $30 worth of gas but my bill is $80... it's projects like these meter moves that are the problem.
yes indeed. They are going to move it every year now... because someone made a poor choice on the original installation
Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
yes indeed. They are going to move it every year now... because someone made a poor choice on the original installation
I never said they were going to move it every year, and no one made a poor decision on the original installation it was built to code in 1967. Do you do a renovation every year when they update the Alberta building code because of your poor decisions? Of course you don't because codes are rarely retroactive, that would be insane.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are they saying that there will be a cost to you for them to move the meter? Because the hundreds of meter replacements that ATCO does every year are done at no cost.

Also, if your deck is above where the gas line comes into the house, there is a good chance there is a ROW there.

The meter is their property and they are allowed to work within the ROW. So if you piss them off enough, they'll just come in and do it under a court order. It has been done before by service providers and they are not required to replace things built over top of their ROW.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 03-09-2017 at 08:37 PM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

standards change. two wire electrical (post and wire) is definitely a situation where it has to be changed. Gas heat radiators also went out the window.

At my work, we had several changes in standards for propane vehicles that required retrofit / expenses to be brought to new standards.

one other thought is that when it comes time to sell , a home inspector will point out to a prospective buyer that the meter isn't to code and you will have to deal with it when closing the sale.

seriously though. are you the guy who wants to raise a family in a house that is about to be deemed unsafe by the gas company?

final thought: will your insurance continue to cover you if this isn't corrected? (they made me update my 1950's electrical panel... and my 25 yr old non-leaking roof)

Last edited by para transit fellow; 03-09-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The deck is not on a ROW. The ROW runs parallel to my house beside the deck. The fuel gas line is an offshoot from the ROW to my house

There is no direct cost to me other than increased distribution charges that we will all see.

To be clear. There is no actual safety issue. And I am qualified to make that assessment.

Unnecessary project that is going to disrupt the enjoyment of my home while they tear up my deck and dig holes in my lawn.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #17
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I used to work for the subcontractors responsible for meter relocation .

It's at they're cost

If they tear up the yard you'll never know they were there the way they relocate and re landscape when they are done.

Kevco ws the name of the company and they were awesome back then and imagine they are just as good today.

We worked in lower mount royal and on million dollar properties and never had a single complaint when we were done.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #18
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ATCO does hundreds of meter replacements every year, do you seriously think that yours is the one that will increase distribution charges and by being a stick in the mud, you're doing everyone some huge favor in keeping costs down?

If they take you to court in order to access their equipment, do you plan to pay for a lawyer to fight it?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:18 AM   #19
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is an option to reroute the underground across my yard and put the meter on the opposite corner of my house, and that means I have to have my back yard torn up. Then they would route pipe along my siding about 8 m to tie back into the house, which I am sure will look great.

My wife's parents got a notice from Atco last year that they needed to do some work on the line leading up to their house and the dug up the backyard to do so. They only dug where the line was and they cleaned up their mess and re-planted the grass where they had to do the digging. So, they may fix what they break to get the line moved.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The deck is not on a ROW. The ROW runs parallel to my house beside the deck. The fuel gas line is an offshoot from the ROW to my house

There is no direct cost to me other than increased distribution charges that we will all see.

To be clear. There is no actual safety issue. And I am qualified to make that assessment.

Unnecessary project that is going to disrupt the enjoyment of my home while they tear up my deck and dig holes in my lawn.
They won't necessarily tear up your deck and lawn. I have a stamped concrete patio and artificial grass in my backyard and they didn't want to fata with either, so they horizontal drilled from the alley and put the meter st the side of my house instead of at the back. My yard wasn't disturbed one iota.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote