Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Parks Canada Denies Film Permit

This is a bit odd...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3296096/pa...r-seeing-plot/

Quote:
Voyce says that last week a parks official called to ask if one of the characters in the film, a gang leader, would be aboriginal.
Voyce says that when he said yes, the official told him that wasn’t something Parks Canada would favour
I'm not sure Parks Canada should be worried about content in films being shot here. Especially major productions like this.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well if they change the script to the gang leader being a mexican, or a Russian, or better yet a lizard person, Parks Canada would be all over it.

Sometimes a movie is just a movie, its not some political statement.

At the end of the day, Parks Canada has a right to reject it, so its rejected, but its a pretty cynical reason to do it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm on the fence about this one. If this is a big budget movie (Liam Neeson is in it) and it will villify aboriginals in some type of criminal outfit, I can see why. Hollywood portrayals often have far-reaching and dramatic effects on how people think about cultures, races, religons, etc. Parks Canada is an extension of the federal government, and I can see them no wanting to put aboriginals in that sort of portrayal (Canadian aboriginals to be specific).

Although I would like to see the actual script myself for more context.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It would be worse if the movie had 1000 natives played by Mexicans running around say "How" and getting killed by a single shot by a brave white Cowboy.

I agree, there needs to be some context with the script. But I don't really think that it's up to Parks Canada to filter based on cultural statements is it?

Here's the reverse question I guess, If it was a Russian Gang, or a Chinese Gang, or a White Gang in the movie would Parks Canada fly the flag of facial tolerance?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It would be worse if the movie had 1000 natives played by Mexicans running around say "How" and getting killed by a single shot by a brave white Cowboy.

I agree, there needs to be some context with the script. But I don't really think that it's up to Parks Canada to filter based on cultural statements is it?

Here's the reverse question I guess, If it was a Russian Gang, or a Chinese Gang, or a White Gang in the movie would Parks Canada fly the flag of facial tolerance?
Or played by an Italian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Funny enough I could see them having no problem putting indistinguishable Caucasians in lead criminal roles. Most people wouldn't question the race of the Caucasian in that role, except that he's white in general. Chinese gangs may be culturally sensitive, but I would imagine it would still go ahead unless a community backlash came to the forefront.

If Terry and Deaner were suddenly thrust into serious, villainous roles for their next FUBAR, I doubt this would get much resistance from Parks Canada.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Jackson is also starring in this, am I being to naive to assume he would not do the film if it was deemed to be detrimental to the aboriginal image?

Said even better by Weitz below.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think that the First Nations actor, musician and Order of Canada member who is playing the role they are concerned about (Tom Jackson) would raise concerns he would have with how he was portrayed?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Funny enough I could see them having no problem putting indistinguishable Caucasians in lead criminal roles. Most people wouldn't question the race of the Caucasian in that role, except that he's white in general. Chinese gangs may be culturally sensitive, but I would imagine it would still go ahead unless a community backlash came to the forefront.

If Terry and Deaner were suddenly thrust into serious, villainous roles for their next FUBAR, I doubt this would get much resistance from Parks Canada.
Did you hear FUBAR is coming out as a TV series this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubar_(TV_series)
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Did you hear FUBAR is coming out as a TV series this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubar_(TV_series)
Good lord
Old 03-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You would think that the First Nations actor, musician and Order of Canada member who is playing the role they are concerned about (Tom Jackson) would raise concerns he would have with how he was portrayed?
Not necessarily. He's just one, single person. Even the "Washington Redskins" debate has plenty of representative from both the side that isn't offended in the least and the side that wants the name changed. Pretty tough to label a person getting paid good money to be in a big Hollywood production as unbias representative of Canadians as a whole.

I'm pretty sure Parks Canada can approve or deny any film they want, and just because it meets Tom Jackson's standards, doesn't mean it meets those set out by Parks Canada.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Stupid decision on Parks Canada's part. Really stupid. We have a mediocre film industry here, with the worst incentives across Canada, with a brand new, mostly unused film centre and we're turning away a film?

A film?

If this was some pron film or remake of Triumph of the Will then sure...but way to shoot ourselves in the foot. This is the kind of decision that sends producers looking at B.C. or other provinces.

Investment from the provincial government through tax breaks is a 3:1 investment...it makes money for the province via dollars crews, producers, and taxes inject into the system.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Should big movies ever be made in the National Parks?

The purpose of our parks is not to develop a film industry. What are the environmental impacts? The parks are Federal, not provincial jurisdiction.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

The purpose of our parks is not to develop a film industry. What are the environmental impacts? The parks are Federal, not provincial jurisdiction.
You'd be amazed the efficiency of Alberta crews when it comes to shooting on location. You'd never know they were there. In a situation like this one you'd have circus (all the trucks and trailers) at a safe distance from any area in a mutually agreed parking lot or similar, the essential crew and talent would be transported to the actual set.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Stupid decision on Parks Canada's part. Really stupid. We have a mediocre film industry here, with the worst incentives across Canada, with a brand new, mostly unused film centre and we're turning away a film?

A film?

If this was some pron film or remake of Triumph of the Will then sure...but way to shoot ourselves in the foot. This is the kind of decision that sends producers looking at B.C. or other provinces.

Investment from the provincial government through tax breaks is a 3:1 investment...it makes money for the province via dollars crews, producers, and taxes inject into the system.
I believe the film centre is actually full right now, but agree with everything else about how this is an area we can grow in Alberta and have productions looking to come here if the incentives could be made slightly better and have more space available for them to film in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Is there any draw back in filming in National Parks though? What's lost in contrast to what's gained?

As for the decision itself, if it isn't culturally insensitive to Natives, and I can't imagine it would be, then why should it be prevented from being filmed? What? Natives can't play roles of villains? They can only be in 'hero' roles?

Alberta needs projects like this in order to help diversify the economy. Filming needs to be encouraged, not discouraged.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm pretty sure Parks Canada can approve or deny any film they want, and just because it meets Tom Jackson's standards, doesn't mean it meets those set out by Parks Canada.
I'm not sure Parks Canada should have standards based on content, provided that the content isn't illegal or something... That being said, I'm inclined to think, "well if it was a movie about how the KKK is fantastic, I would be pretty understanding about them shooting that down". Given that intuition, I'm not sure how this should work... but I just can't imagine who at Parks Canada is qualified to be the arbiter of what is and what isn't acceptable movie content. It can't be "what anyone anywhere might find offensive", obviously.

I suppose you could make an argument for just a blanket ban on major films shooting in national parks.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, since when was Parks Canada a Political or Social Organization?

Are they not pretty much solely charged with the Protection and Maintenance of....Canada's Parks?

The portrayal of Natives in a Hollywood Production seems a little bit beyond their purview.

Granted, with Hollywood's slanderous portrayal of our filthy Oil Sands perhaps we should be denying them access to our beautiful parks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

This appears to be the film in question - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5719748/

Plotline - "Quiet family man and hard-working snowplow driver Nels is the lifeblood of a glitzy resort town in the Rocky Mountains because he is the one who keeps the winter roads clear. He and his wife live in a comfortable cabin away from the tourists. The town has just awarded him "Citizen of the Year." But Nels has to leave his quiet mountain life when his son is murdered by a powerful drug lord. As a man who has nothing to lose he is stoked by a drive for vengeance. This unlikely hero uses his hunting skills and transforms from an ordinary man into a skilled killer as he sets out to dismantle the cartel. Nels' actions ignite a turf war between a manically unpredictable gangster known as Viking and a rival gang boss. Justice is served in one final spectacular confrontation that will leave (almost) no one unscathed. "
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's Mr. Plow meets Taken?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: