Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harju View Post
The method leaves me scratching my head a little bit. If I was to assassinate someone with poison spray and a cloth I would make sure I was gowned and gloved and masked so I didn't breath in or get any on me. Seems an extremely sloppy/dangerous method and perhaps lends credence to the prank theory.
I've read that he was actually injected with a needle as well. The cloth over the face may have been just to ensure he didn't scream during the injection to draw attention.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I personally think she's covering. But there's something elegant in finding a way to get some innocent stupid dupe to do the killing for you.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 AM   #43
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Banned nerve agent used to kill Kim Jong Nam

Quote:
The banned chemical weapon VX nerve agent was used to kill Kim Jong Nam, the North Korean ruler’s outcast half brother who was poisoned last week at the airport in Kuala Lumpur, police said Friday. The announcement raised serious questions about public safety in a building that authorities went 11 days without decontaminating.

The substance, deadly even in minute amounts, was detected on Kim’s eyes and face, Malaysia’s inspector general of police said in a written statement, citing a preliminary analysis from the country’s Chemistry Department.

“Our preliminary finding of the chemical that caused the death of Kim Chol was VX nerve,” said Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar. Kim Chol is the name on the passport found on the victim, but a Malaysian official previously confirmed he is North Korea leader Kim Jong Un’s older half brother.
The banned chemical weapon VX nerve agent was used to kill Kim Jong Nam, the North Korean ruler’s outcast half brother who was poisoned last week at the airport in Kuala Lumpur, police said Friday. The announcement raised serious questions about public safety in a building that authorities went 11 days without decontaminating.

The substance, deadly even in minute amounts, was detected on Kim’s eyes and face, Malaysia’s inspector general of police said in a written statement, citing a preliminary analysis from the country’s Chemistry Department.

“Our preliminary finding of the chemical that caused the death of Kim Chol was VX nerve,” said Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar. Kim Chol is the name on the passport found on the victim, but a Malaysian official previously confirmed he is North Korea leader Kim Jong Un’s older half brother. The banned chemical weapon VX nerve agent was used to kill Kim Jong Nam, the North Korean ruler’s outcast half brother who was poisoned last week at the airport in Kuala Lumpur, police said Friday. The announcement raised serious questions about public safety in a building that authorities went 11 days without decontaminating.

“Our preliminary finding of the chemical that caused the death of Kim Chol was VX nerve,” said Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar. Kim Chol is the name on the passport found on the victim, but a Malaysian official previously confirmed he is North Korea leader Kim Jong Un’s older half brother.
Quote:
The case has perplexed toxicologists, who question how the two women could have walked away unscathed after handling a powerful poison, even if — as Malaysian police say — the women were instructed to wash their hands right after the attack.

Dr. Bruce Goldberger, a leading toxicologist who heads the forensic medicine division at the University of Florida, said even a tiny amount of VX nerve agent — equal to a few grains of salt — is capable of killing. It can be administered through the skin, and there is an antidote that can be administered by injection. U.S. medics and military personnel carried kits with them on the battlefield during the Iraq war in case they were exposed to the chemical weapon.

“It’s a very toxic nerve agent. Very, very toxic,” he said. “I’m intrigued that these two alleged assassins suffered no ill effect from exposure to VX. It is possible that both of these women were given the antidote.”
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/02/23...l-kim-jong-nam
Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What's scary is that VX nerve gas is persistent, which means it can stay lethal for months. Its usually in a liquid form, I think you have to heat it to a high temperature to turn it to vapor. Its a contact killer as well, its more lethal through inhalation, but a single droplet on the skin will kill you as well.

So you had people walking around with liquid VX gas in a busy airport. I'm amazed that more people haven't been affected by it.

And how are these people alive, its not like they were wearing suits.

Crazy.

But the biggest problem or not problem is that only so many nations have access to VX. This pretty well points to North Korea. There are very few nations that actually have this gas. Russia does, I believe China does, NK does, The US might have a small stockpile as they've been destroying it.

Crazy man crazy

Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #45
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I would probably be more skeptical about the whole VX gas thing than take it as truth from the Malaysians. I don't doubt NK is capable of doing something like this, but NK is not the one I doubt. I doubt Malaysian forensics, I doubt Malaysian autopsies, and I doubt the Malaysian Inspector General.

Let's not forget, this is the group that completely messed up the MH370 investigation, and also hired a Bomoh witch doctor to help find the plane.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The thing that makes me wonder if its VX is I haven't read about them closing and decontaminating that airport,

VX is persistent and can stay lethal for a pretty good period of time.

Also I keep going back to this being a liquid state weapon or droplet spray, so looking at the picture of the suspect in normal clothes with exposed skin. I would think that air current in an airport are pretty random so its not a matter of rubbing it in his face or spraying in his face and being 100% safe.

And having two people die from VX in a aiport would literally create mass panic, in fact one should create mass panic, that area of the airport would need to be shut down and completely decontaminated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #47
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The thing that makes me wonder if its VX is I haven't read about them closing and decontaminating that airport,

VX is persistent and can stay lethal for a pretty good period of time.

Also I keep going back to this being a liquid state weapon or droplet spray, so looking at the picture of the suspect in normal clothes with exposed skin. I would think that air current in an airport are pretty random so its not a matter of rubbing it in his face or spraying in his face and being 100% safe.

And having two people die from VX in a aiport would literally create mass panic, in fact one should create mass panic, that area of the airport would need to be shut down and completely decontaminated.
The assassins probably injected themselves with atropine right before/after the attack to counter the effect. Surviving the alleged exposure without admitting some sort of medical intervention certainly makes her "just for laughs" skit excuse look like bullsh*t.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #48
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

VX Gas?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #49
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They may have carried two precursor agents on their hands, and when combined they created VX. It would explain why there is two attackers and why neither died.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, that makes sense but now it just feels like we're moving into the overly complex murder plot where way too many things can go wrong.

As it stands even using VX as a murder weapon can only be traced back to a few countries.

China certainly has it, but I don't see the end game of killing Nam for them

Cuba certainly has it and has used it in the past in Angola but they have no reason to use it

Egypt has it and supposedly still makes it But again what's their skin in the game

Iran I thought had it, but are more focused on basic chemical weapons.

Israel has chemical weapons, but their nerve agent of choice is basic Sarin

North Korea almost certainly has it as chemical weapons are like a cheap nuke.

Russia has destroyed most of their chemical arsenal as has the US.

Syria has been proven to have VX gas but again why would they kill Nam?

The US declared that their chemical arsenal was destroyed back in the 90's I believe.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #51
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They may have carried two precursor agents on their hands, and when combined they created VX. It would explain why there is two attackers and why neither died.
I don't think synthesis of VX is that simple
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #52
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if I want to research how to make VX gas on the internet. But I don't think its as easy as these guys mixing chemicals in a hair spray bottle.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
VX nerve gas. As simple to mix as 5 minute epoxy!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
The assassins probably injected themselves with atropine right before/after the attack to counter the effect. Surviving the alleged exposure without admitting some sort of medical intervention certainly makes her "just for laughs" skit excuse look like bullsh*t.
Hey why are your pupils two feet across ma'am?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #55
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

"VX can also be delivered in binary chemical weapons which mix in-flight to form the agent prior to release. Binary VX is referred to as VX2 and is created by mixing O-(2-diisopropylaminoethyl) O′-ethyl methylphosphonite (Agent QL) with elemental sulfur (Agent NE) as is done in the Bigeye aerial chemical bomb. It may also be produced by mixing with sulfur compounds, as with the liquid dimethyl polysulfide mixture (Agent NM) in the canceled XM-768 8-inch binary projectile program."
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #56
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Hey why are your pupils two feet across ma'am?
Appropriate you say that because I found it strange they just found her wandering aimlessly around the airport after the attack. Looks like benzodiazepines are also often added to the VX antidote. I don't know know what sort of dose they would have used, but I'm guessing they would err on the high side to avoid death, and it would have easily made her intoxicated.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
"VX can also be delivered in binary chemical weapons which mix in-flight to form the agent prior to release. Binary VX is referred to as VX2 and is created by mixing O-(2-diisopropylaminoethyl) O′-ethyl methylphosphonite (Agent QL) with elemental sulfur (Agent NE) as is done in the Bigeye aerial chemical bomb. It may also be produced by mixing with sulfur compounds, as with the liquid dimethyl polysulfide mixture (Agent NM) in the canceled XM-768 8-inch binary projectile program."
I get what you're saying, but I just can't see how they would get their hands on the two precursers and the elemental sulfur and then sit there and mix it exactly. Plus getting those chemicals across a pretty secure border or through a mail service would probably be pretty tough to do.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #58
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would only need to successfully mix a drop worth to be fatal. I do doubt the Malaysian's investigative abilities. Makes you wonder why they didn't just shank him in the airport rather than go through all the trouble of making a chemical weapon.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #59
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #60
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
there's a good chance that similar to Iocane, you can slowly build up your tolerance to VX over years of exposure.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote