Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Sears Appliance Warranty Issues

Just wanted to share some frustration around Sears and their misleading appliance warranties. We bought five appliances there five years ago and was sold on the warranties by the salesperson. He said that you would get the full warranty amount back on a gift card if you did not use the warranty. Well, it turns out that's not entirely true. Instead of a gift card you get coupons that you have to spend double the amount to get your warranty amount back. So, if you had a warranty for $100 you'd have to spend $200 to get the $100 back. That doesn't sound so bad until you realize the coupons have a ton of restrictions on them like no electronics or travel purchases and have to be used in 90 days. The worst part for us was that all the stores in Calgary appear to be near the end, so there were hardly any items we were interested in.

Sears has gotten some bad press about this recently, but it appears some salespeople are still selling the warranties with misinformation. Frankly, I'm sure they'll be out of business soon, so this won't be an issue anyways. Just a heads up for people anyways!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

they are circling the drain.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do you have any literature that says it would be a gift card? I remember hearing that gift cards were the deal a few years ago.

if they changed their policy after you bought, then you should still get gift cards. If they refuse, take em to small claims court.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Do you have any literature that says it would be a gift card? I remember hearing that gift cards were the deal a few years ago.

if they changed their policy after you bought, then you should still get gift cards. If they refuse, take em to small claims court the court of public opinion.
More often than not I am inclined to think that this type of thing plays better and gets resolved quicker when you involve new broadcasts, I mean look at Polak.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
More often than not I am inclined to think that this type of thing plays better and gets resolved quicker when you involve new broadcasts, I mean look at Polak.
why would they be mutually exclusive?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
why would they be mutually exclusive?
Good point, but I reckon the news crew would come to your house with minimal effort on your part. Small claims requires filing of paperwork at attendance at the courthouse.

Also, I have never seen anything speed up once a lawsuit was issued.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Just wanted to share some frustration around Sears and their misleading appliance warranties. We bought five appliances there five years ago and was sold on the warranties by the salesperson. He said that you would get the full warranty amount back on a gift card if you did not use the warranty. Well, it turns out that's not entirely true. Instead of a gift card you get coupons that you have to spend double the amount to get your warranty amount back. So, if you had a warranty for $100 you'd have to spend $200 to get the $100 back. That doesn't sound so bad until you realize the coupons have a ton of restrictions on them like no electronics or travel purchases and have to be used in 90 days. The worst part for us was that all the stores in Calgary appear to be near the end, so there were hardly any items we were interested in.

Sears has gotten some bad press about this recently, but it appears some salespeople are still selling the warranties with misinformation. Frankly, I'm sure they'll be out of business soon, so this won't be an issue anyways. Just a heads up for people anyways!
Perhaps you should show them the documents you signed that say you get the full value in gift cards if it goes unused.

You've got to have that right? Surely you wouldn't come complain about something you could very easily verify before shelling out your money right?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Perhaps you should show them the documents you signed that say you get the full value in gift cards if it goes unused.

You've got to have that right? Surely you wouldn't come complain about something you could very easily verify before shelling out your money right?
The documents I signed say "store credit" which I wrongly assumed was a gift card as the salesperson had said. A co-worker had the same thing happen to her and the salesperson had the same spiel.

I just don't want anyone to have the same thing happen to them!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The documents I signed say "store credit" which I wrongly assumed was a gift card as the salesperson had said. A co-worker had the same thing happen to her and the salesperson had the same spiel.

it's still not what they are telling you now. Store credit doesn't require you to buy $1000 worth of their crap to use $500 in credit.

Last edited by Canehdianman; 02-06-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would argue coupons =/= store credit.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

I think we found the Sears salesguy who lied to you.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think we found the Sears salesguy who lied to you.
Nope, I just think it's ridiculous when people complain about things that are/were 100% within their power to check/fix.

What the OP has on paper isn't really what they are telling him now, but it's not really the same as what the salesman told him either. Probably something he should have clarified before he signed up for it.

It sucks, and he's probably got a case to make that what they are offering him now isn't the same as what the agreement says, but not clarifying that in the first place is on him as well.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically they know they'll be gone soon so are trying to milk it while they can, and don't care about their reputation. It definitely used to be a gift card, I had a coworker who got one around 4-5 ears ago.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

all the more reason to threaten to sue. If you win in small claims, you'll likely get cash.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #15
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, I just think it's ridiculous when people complain about things that are/were 100% within their power to check/fix.

What the OP has on paper isn't really what they are telling him now, but it's not really the same as what the salesman told him either. Probably something he should have clarified before he signed up for it.

It sucks, and he's probably got a case to make that what they are offering him now isn't the same as what the agreement says, but not clarifying that in the first place is on him as well.
Oh, I totally get that some of this is on me as well and I'm not entirely sure where in my OP you thought I was looking for sympathy. My only hope in posting this is that other people don't get caught. Again, it's likely not a big deal because Sears will be out of business soon anyways, but I definitely felt it was a shady business tactic.

Last edited by bagofpucks; 02-06-2017 at 07:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, I totally get that some of this is on me as well and I'm not entirely sure where in my OP you thought I was looking for sympathy. My only hope in posting this is that other people don't get caught. Again, it's likely not a big deal because Sears will be out of business soon anyways, but I definitely felt it was a shady business tactic.
Yeah it's a crappy deal, especially since whatever you have in writing sounds different than what they are telling you now.
I was just kind of being a smart ass.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aw man, you never listen to the Sears' Sales guy, if he knew anything he wouldnt be working at Sears.

Its not 1958 anymore.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #18
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
all the more reason to threaten to sue. If you win in small claims, you'll likely get cash.
Good luck getting money out of Sears they are done for.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote