Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #41
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alberta leaving by themselves is stupid. We'd need at least BC and Sask to support ourselves. Maybe even Manitoba.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #42
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Minas well take Alaska whilst we're at it. So the NE coast, everything above Penn. Cali, Oregon, Wash, and Hawaii. Then we make Trump pay for a wall.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Turks and Caicos first please.

And if we thought Vancouverites were weird wait until we get ahold of Californians full time.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pass, its their government let them soak in it.

Plus California isn't something that's appealing based on their filthy oil. Plus unless we can deny citizen ship to selected celebrities.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #45
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I would take California and their massive economy in a heartbeat.

But it would be more like they would take us.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #46
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not going to happen, but cool thought experiment.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #47
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Why wouldn't they just separate on their own? They don't need us. We would drag down their economy if anything.

That being said, adding the entertainment industry, silicon valley and some major ports would be a massive win for Canada's economy. It would give us some strong diversification, although it would make Alberta matter even less than it does now.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #48
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The US would never allow losing all land connections to the Pacific ocean. I would love a sun destination year round and the option to even being permitted to live there. Unfortunately with a population of almost 40 million, a dire state economy, electrical grid problems, forest fires with overpopulation, gang/crime issues, and many other negative aspects, California is just not worth it.

Still, I love the sun and warm weather. Let em in!
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #49
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Californians would be immediately shocked and angry if they joined with their massive economy.

"Thank you to California for you new contributions to Canada's economy, and now for the annual transferring of your wealth to Quebec and Ontario! But not all is lost, those two provinces put together a thank you card that says they don't particularly like you and hate the way you accumulated the money that saved them".

"Oh and btw if your economy ever hits tough times, there's no money coming back your way, only laughter".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part about this would be the end of all the idiot and uninformed celebrity shills advocating against the Oilsands while ignoring the California oil issues.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #51
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Californians would be immediately shocked and angry if they joined with their massive economy.

"Thank you to California for you new contributions to Canada's economy, and now for the annual transferring of your wealth to Quebec and Ontario! But not all is lost, those two provinces put together a thank you card that says they don't particularly like you and hate the way you accumulated the money that saved them".

"Oh and btw if your economy ever hits tough times, there's no money coming back your way, only laughter".
Californians already subsidize Americans in poorer states. One of the bizarre things about American political culture is how the states that benefit the most from federal government spending are the ones who complain the most about taxes and federal government spending.

CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd like Hawaii to join, and there has always been a Hawaii independence movement. If there is anything I envy the americans for, it is their possession of the Hawaiian islands.

I once had a colleague in a conference call announce how he was moving from Wisconsin to Hawaii and will be calling in next time from the Big Island of Hawaii. The following week, as we went around the call "table", each of the US reps began with "I will be moving to Hawaii and....".

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-03-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #53
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The biggest issue is because they'd be 50 million people, they would essentially dominate Canada's political landscape. We complain that Ontario/Quebec do that already but I think it would be that times 10 in terms of us not being able to have our say federally.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The biggest issue is because they'd be 50 million people, they would essentially dominate Canada's political landscape. We complain that Ontario/Quebec do that already but I think it would be that times 10 in terms of us not being able to have our say federally.
Considering all of the support from my Albertan friends on FB for Trump and O'Leary, I think that's starting to look like a good thing
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #55
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's keep Washington, Oregon, San Francisco and San Diego. Sell the rest of California to Mexico.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Let's keep Washington, Oregon, San Francisco and San Diego. Sell the rest of California to Mexico.
We should keep Tahoe, Napa and Sonoma too.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #57
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the future is trending more towards downsizing of large nation states and in the future, the word will be made up of confederacies of loosely tied small states with borders changing depending on current political climate election results.

North America should probably be at twenty different sovereign entities easily.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
and here I was thinking we should grab the Baja Peninsula.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think the future is trending more towards downsizing of large nation states and in the future, the word will be made up of confederacies of loosely tied small states with borders changing depending on current political climate election results.

The real division are between urban and rural. With the great sorting thoroughly advanced now, you have two groups of people with fundamentally different values and outlooks. The problem is, the way our laws are set up (in Canada and the U.S.), it's extremely difficult for cities to gain control of spending and policy.
Red State, Blue City

The United States is coming to resemble two countries, one rural and one urban. What happens when they go to war?

- the Atlantic
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #60
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

For someone who's pretty ignorant to this sort of stuff can you provide any evidence that this is happening? I ask sincerely, as this isn't anything I had ever heard happening across the world.

It also doesn't seem like something that suits the United States other than maybe the south becoming it's own country. But the divide in the US seems more rural/urban than anything, but that would be quite difficult to part out into smaller countries and would likely come with large scale bloodshed, no?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote