Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #21
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Monahan may end up scoring more goals than last season, which would be a year over year progression.
That's of course forgetting his 2nd season when he scored 31 and he'll get close to 27, but I don't think he'll get there.

So that wouldn't be a year over year progression at all.

To me the only troubling indicator about Bennet is that he's struggling.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #22
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
That's of course forgetting his 2nd season when he scored 31 and he'll get close to 27, but I don't think he'll get there.

So that wouldn't be a year over year progression at all.

To me the only troubling indicator about Bennet is that he's struggling.
The year he scored 27 goals, he scored more points (63) than the previous year (62). His faceoff abilities have gotten better every year as well. So, that would be a year over year progression.

But of course, we aren't really talking about Monahan here because he's proven to be a 25+ goal player year in year out whereas the concern with Bennett is that he has yet to show he is a 20 goal player after passing the midway point of his second season which is what has some posters questioning if he is as 'can't miss' of a prospect as initially thought.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 01-22-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Bennett is struggling, he is one of the last players that I am worried about. He will be fine with time.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #24
AhiChicken
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
"Yup he needs to be sat"
"Why"
"He's not carrying his weight"
"Who?"
"Good question!"

Gaudreau

H 4

Salary $6.75 mil
That's $1.69 million per hit. What was management thinking? Fire Treliving, Fire Burke, Fire Hartley, Fire Harvey The Hound.
AhiChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #25
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhiChicken View Post
That's $1.69 million per hit. What was management thinking? Fire Treliving, Fire Burke, Fire Hartley, Fire Harvey The Hound.
Lighten up Francis.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
While Bennett is struggling, he is one of the last players that I am worried about. He will be fine with time.
You, literally, said the same thing about Baertschi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think Sven would react the way some other prospects have. Few react that way, I find.

Ward is a good development coach as well. In the last few years, he has had to use guys like Kolanos in prime offensive opportunities because the Heat had little else in the way of offensive firepower. I believe they were in the bottom 5 or so (if memory serves - anyone care to double-check feel free to) offensively in the AHL.

This year, you are seeing a much more offensively robust team. The youth are the ones for the most part having that impact. Sven would definitely be a part of that, and Ward would have the 'luxury' of being tough on Sven as well, ensuring he doesn't develop into an offensive player with a defensively deficient game. Same values that Hartley is trying to instill in Baertschi.

With that being said, I think Sven will develop fine in the NHL. It would be one thing if Hartley is not 'teaching' Sven. If he was merely just scratching him and berating him, I would be on the bandwagon of having Hartley being dismissed ASAP. However, Hartley does have one-on-ones with Baertschi, going over video and explaining what he needs to do to improve as a professional (this coming from an interview or two I read from Baertschi).

I think at the moment, Baertschi is treading water. Sometimes his head is going below the surface, resulting in being scratched. More often than not, he is treading. If Sven hasn't noticeably improved his game by the mid-point, I would say it would be time to send him down to the Heat and let him develop a bit against some lower competition, and playing more minutes.

Between now and the trade deadline, there is probably going to be a massive increase in available ice-time. Sven needs to be a better 200ft player in order to take advantage of that, and I think Hartley is trying to do his best getting Sven prepared.

Hartley does reward Sven. There was a game (I can't remember which, but it was a loss - first game against Dallas maybe?) where Sven had the most ice-time for forwards. Higher than Cammalleri, Stajan and Hudler. He was one of the few players out there that was having a good game, and was rewarded for it. Conversely, when he is not, he gets his ice-time reduced. I think at this stage, that is a fair expectation for a developing player.

I think he will be fine in time. He is a smart, cerebral player with a high work-ethic. He is undersized (not badly, but noticeably) and players of his stature normally have a bit harder time breaking in and finding a way to succeed. I would bet he improves noticeably this season as it goes by, and will hopefully be ready to take on some of that ice-time that will be freed up from a couple of the vets that will be moved between now and the deadline.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And you said the Flames had the answer in net in Johnson like less then a month ago?

People are positive about prospects man, they're.. we're fans. Gonna have to accept that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #28
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
And you said the Flames had the answer in net in Johnson like less then a month ago?

People are positive about prospects man, they're.. we're fans. Gonna have to accept that one.
I know you're smarter than this, what are we even talking about here?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think at this point there are troubling indications that his offense may not fully transfer to the NHL level.

Considering he was drafted primarily for his ability to generate offense, it is somewhat troubling that so far he hasn't generated much for himself.
He seems capable at times. The tools are certainly there and even early this season you could see him strip a defender while on the forecheck or burst by someone with his skating.

I've always wondered if Bennett is a player better suited for the wing. His defence will never be much more than passable in my mind (making him less valuable at centre than elsewhere) and many scoring centres get transferred to wing out of juniors. His best talents are probably best suited for Flames wingers given Gulutzan's system.

It might be worth letting him go wild on the wing seeing if it sparks him once more. It's been where he does his best work in terms of his explosive offence and probably suits him best on this team.

Fair enough that it makes a mess of the centres though (Backlund/Monahan/???/Stajan) and overloads the wings (currently Tkachuk/Versteeg/Gaudreau/Hathaway on the left, Frolik/Brouwer/Chiasson/Ferland on the right).
Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #30
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
He seems capable at times. The tools are certainly there and even early this season you could see him strip a defender while on the forecheck or burst by someone with his skating.

I've always wondered if Bennett is a player better suited for the wing. His defence will never be much more than passable in my mind (making him less valuable at centre than elsewhere) and many scoring centres get transferred to wing out of juniors. His best talents are probably best suited for Flames wingers given Gulutzan's system.

It might be worth letting him go wild on the wing seeing if it sparks him once more. It's been where he does his best work in terms of his explosive offence and probably suits him best on this team.

Fair enough that it makes a mess of the centres though (Backlund/Monahan/???/Stajan) and overloads the wings (currently Tkachuk/Versteeg/Gaudreau/Hathaway on the left, Frolik/Brouwer/Chiasson/Ferland on the right).
I agree, I think at the NHL level if you want to take advantage of his compete and 'moxie' it's best done on the wing where he has less responsibility. The other thing is I just don't see the playmaking/passing ability from him to make me believe he's going to be an offensive minded centre.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #31
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I've never really been a big believer in Bennett myself. I think he gets a ton of rope around here because he was drafted high. No other prospect that I can recall has seemed to have so many apologists in these parts. I think Jankowski may end up the better player actually, although I acknowledge they are different styles so tough to compare. I just think Jankowski could end up being a 1/2 line centre while Bennett a 3rd/4th liner. Of course it is all guessing, but I just have never seen the skill level everyone else seems to see.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #32
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If the price is right I would pull the trigger on trading Bennett.

What progression has he made? What indicates that his potential will suddenly jump leaps and bounds? He plays a gritty North to South game which ends by either A. Slamming into the boards behind the net. B. Shooting the puck directly at the goalies chest. C. Taking a stupid penalty.

I'm not saying he isn't good hockey players, but he isn't the former 1st overall (ranked) prospect the Flames thought they were getting. His game is predictable. He's a hybrid of Bouma and Stajan.

I think what the flames were expecting was the hard nosed grind type player like Tkachuk or Hall who isn't afraid to crash the net. Bennett just doesn't seem to have that finishing touch.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see Bennett being anything much more than what he currently is. A north to south, chew up some minutes and occasionally have a point here and there.

Most people will tear me apart over this solely based on the fact that Scouting Services once had him ranked 1st overall, and they can't see past that.

My opinion.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #33
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would say jumping into the NHL and scoring 18 goals at 19 is pretty impressive progression.

Sophomore slump is a thing, Bennett wouldn't be the first. And there is lots of season left to get back on the horse.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #34
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams never win selling low and he's on his entry level deal, so trading him makes zero sense IMO
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Domi has struggled in his 2nd season on a bad team. Maybe the Coyotes should move him before the league catches on that he's terrible and they can still recoup a draft pick?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #36
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Max Domi has struggled in his 2nd season on a bad team. Maybe the Coyotes should move him before the league catches on that he's terrible and they can still recoup a draft pick?
Shayne Gostisbehere is well off pace from his 17 goal 46 point rookie season as well.

Bennet with all his struggles the past while is still on pace for 15+15. That's 3rd line numbers without blinking as a 20 year old. He figures things out soon (fingers crossed) he could easily hit 20. All kinda of faith in his skill and this player.

But it's been an ugly month.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #37
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

I never implied he was struggling.

Struggling would mean that I have a belief that he's capable of so much more than what he's currently doing.

I don't.

I believe the game he's playing is his NHL game, regardless of how his game translated in Junior.

Do I think he's just struggling right now? Not struggling, moreso that this is Sam's game.

Hopefully I'm wrong in 5 years time and he's putting up 30G 25A type numbers. But I just don't see it in his game.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #38
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I never implied he was struggling.

Struggling would mean that I have a belief that he's capable of so much more than what he's currently doing.

I don't.

believe the game he's playing is his NHL game, regardless of how his game translated in Junior.

Do I think he's just struggling right now? Not struggling, moreso that this is Sam's game.

Hopefully I'm wrong in 5 years time and he's putting up 30G 25A type numbers. But I just don't see it in his game.
Then you must not have watched him much last year. He played significantly better. Yet you've decided that the sample set from this half season is better to judge his overall "NHL game". Everyone from the GM, coach and player himself recognizes that he is struggling to get his game on track.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #39
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He needs to be moved to the wing, ASAP. Sure he's more valuable if ends up a C and we can hope for that but right now he is not a capable NHL center and it's blatantly obvious.

Move Bennett to wing, call up Janko, (or even get Freddie playing 4th line C and move Stajan up if they really don't think Janko is ready) but either way Bennett needs to be moved to the wing.

If Gulutzan and Treliving can't see this then maybe they both do need to be let go this offseason.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #40
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Then you must not have watched him much last year. He played significantly better. Yet you've decided that the sample set from this half season is better to judge his overall "NHL game". Everyone from the GM, coach and player himself recognizes that he is struggling to get his game on track.
I have rarely missed a game in nearly a decade so you're quick to dismiss my opinion to the fact I "must not have watched him play last year" merely because my opinion is different than yours.

I reiterate what I previously said; hopefully in 5 years time I'll be wrong, but I just don't see that finish in his game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post: