Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Flames got calls on Sam Bennett

Nick Kypreos said tonight on HNIC that after Sam Bennett was made a healthy scratch this week, that the Flames got a lot of calls from other teams asking if this made him available but that the Flames said he was not available. He said this could change if Bennett continues to be frustrated in Calgary and asks for a deal. He did NOT say he had any inside info that this was something Bennett was considering, more like guessing.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have a hard time (if I was Bennett) being frustrated at the team. He's being given lots of rope to hang himself with, such as playing with Gaudreau, and he has little to show for it. I'm pretty disappointed in the flames for not entertaining offers for him though, we've seen 20 year olds have success at playing center. He isn't putting it together or even showing semblance of improvement. If we were to trade him now, at least we could sell other teams on his potential, by this time next year I believe we'll have a yakupov on our hands.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, a 20 year old kid struggling right now who has lots of potential still is a bust and the next Yakupov. Holy hyperbole batman.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to bet most players on the Flames get calls about them all the time. Hell, Gaudreau, Brodie and Hamilton probably get them daily.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I'd have a hard time (if I was Bennett) being frustrated at the team. He's being given lots of rope to hang himself with, such as playing with Gaudreau, and he has little to show for it. I'm pretty disappointed in the flames for not entertaining offers for him though, we've seen 20 year olds have success at playing center. He isn't putting it together or even showing semblance of improvement. If we were to trade him now, at least we could sell other teams on his potential, by this time next year I believe we'll have a yakupov on our hands.
That is the craziest post I've seen here in weeks and that's saying something.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate the CHL rule so much. Bennett needed AHL seasoning and couldn't get it. It's harmful to the franchise and the player. Even if they allow an exemption that states "a player must have performed over a ppg pace during their last CHL season and were drafted in the first round of both the CHL and NHL entry draft, then their eligible for the AHL if still under 20 years old when the season starts." Or something!!
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doug Gilmour 2.0. He'll take a little longer to hit full side but when he does you'll be glad he is a flame.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
rollie619
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nah trade him to Toronto in a 13 player deal
rollie619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would probably hold on to him and remind myself that 3 years ago i said i was ok with a 5 year rebuild!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still think Sam Bennett needed some AHL seasoning. It's too bad the rules around that are what they are. I said that last season as well. He looks good at times, but he needs some AHL seasoning to get the mental part of the game and his decision making honed I think.

Last edited by Iceman90; 01-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No one was talking about Bennett needing AHL seasoning this training camp.

He's mired in the worst stretch of hockey he's ever play, at times it looks like he's forgotten how to skate. Think if he gets a lucky one here he'll get on a roll. Just needs to get that monkey off his back.

Start playing smarter, focus on the skill not the hacks and whacks.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't look like he's processing the game at an NHL level yet and he doesn't use his teammates well. A stint in the AHL make help him get a handle on using time and space to make the smart play.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think at this point there are troubling indications that his offense may not fully transfer to the NHL level.

Considering he was drafted primarily for his ability to generate offense, it is somewhat troubling that so far he hasn't generated much for himself.

Monahan may end up scoring more goals than last season, which would be a year over year progression. Bennett may end up scoring less goals and points than last year, which would be a significant setback, centre or not. A not uncommon development for a player, but definitely not a positive sign.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news: GMs talk to each other!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

In other news: player development isn't linear!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think at this point there are troubling indications that his offense may not fully transfer to the NHL level.

Considering he was drafted primarily for his ability to generate offense, it is somewhat troubling that so far he hasn't generated much for himself.

Monahan may end up scoring more goals than last season, which would be a year over year progression. Bennett may end up scoring less goals and points than last year, which would be a significant setback, centre or not. A not uncommon development for a player, but definitely not a positive sign.
It's hard to get a read on his rookie (15/16) season. 8 of his 18 goals came in a 5 game span. That leaves an underwhelming 10 goals in his other 72 games.

My concern about sending him to the AHL is that if he doesn't put up big numbers, his confidence could really take a hit. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and put him on the wing with Backlund and Frolik. Assuming Tkachuk continues Tkachuk-ing and Gaudreau and Monahan eventually get their game back, Bennett becomes the key piece to the rebuild IMO. We need to handle his development carefully -- lucky for him none of Shinkaruk, Poirier or Klimchuk appear to be knocking on the door or else he could really start feeling the pressure of having other prospects trying to take his spot in the top 9.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Patience. Patience. Patience. This is a frustrated player right now. Easy to see that in his game and in his body language especially. I still really believe in the player and feel the team does as well. Don't know what the solution is right now, but certainly can't give up on him during a rough patch. Might be worth moving him back to the wing for a bit just to see if he gets anything going that way.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #20
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Question

"Yup he needs to be sat"
"Why"
"He's not carrying his weight"
"Who?"
"Good question!"

Gaudreau