Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #21
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

In my city it is illegal to park within 3 feet of the driveway actually. But again without pavement it makes it harder to argue.. which is why I defaulted to the bylaw where the inspector on the phone told me "it's basically the width of your garage, that is what we go on when writing the tickets." So even if you paved your entire front yard for more parking, people can still park in front of it as long as they respect that 3 foot rule, at least in Saskatoon.. we generally learn from Calgary's mistakes so I imagine it is the same there.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have this issue all the time. We live across from a dog park. People just do not care. Our only option is to call bylaw every damn time. I have poked my head out the door and informed a few of them that as we have a person with a chronic illness living here, we may need to leave at any time to go to the hospital. Should they decide they'd still like to leave their car blocking my driveway, they should also realize that I will simply throw my car in reverse and move them out of my way forcefully, and figure out the mess once we're done at the hospital. Most move their vehicles. We have 3 #######s who simply don't give a #### and shrug and walk away. I'm now collecting picture evidence per the bylaw cops and I have to write up a statement and include the pictures and they will begin ticketing them if they attend and the car has already moved. Here, bylaw can only ticket them. If they are fully blocking our egress and ingress, then the RCMP will be called. If bylaw calls a tow truck or I call a tow truck, I pay for them to remove the vehicle. If the RCMP calls, then the vehicle owner pays for the tow. Or so we've been informed anyway.

ETA: we also have issues with people using our yard to turn around to park on the other side of the street. As in, driving up across the corners of our yard, through the bottom of the driveway and across the corner of the yard on the other side of the driveway. We're going to go talk to some farmers and ask if we can have a couple big rocks from their rockpiles, which we're going to stick on each corner of the yard for the winter. Maybe that will work because we've tried flags and they just drive over them regardless.

Last edited by Minnie; 11-07-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Motion sensing water nozzle aimed at drivers door.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #24
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remote controlled spike strip?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #25
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some folks a few houses down have decided their triple car garage is best suited for things other than parking their 5 cars. Of interest to me is that they'll park in front of my neighbours' houses and block entry out of their garage. (Front of their houses curve in towards each other due to the cul de sac).

I'm a few houses down but would like ideas and want to help the affected neighbors who have these guys park in front of their houses. Situation doesn't affect me other than when I'm shovelling their walks and the jerk neighbors are driving/parked on the sidewalk. As well, the affected are all nice folks that are too nice for their own good - they'd rather awkwardly pull into their driveways.

Can any fun be had while I play silent crusader?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Are the parking parallel to the curb or perpendicular? I believe the latter is illegal. Call the city. They'll all get ticketed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #27
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some folks a few houses down have decided their triple car garage is best suited for things other than parking their 5 cars. Of interest to me is that they'll park in front of my neighbours' houses and block entry out of their garage. (Front of their houses curve in towards each other due to the cul de sac).

I'm a few houses down but would like ideas and want to help the affected neighbors who have these guys park in front of their houses. Situation doesn't affect me other than when I'm shovelling their walks and the jerk neighbors are driving/parked on the sidewalk. As well, the affected are all nice folks that are too nice for their own good - they'd rather awkwardly pull into their driveways.

Can any fun be had while I play silent crusader?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's blocking entry out of your neighbours garage, you could just call to get them towed, couldn't you?

Or leave some passive-aggressive notes under their windshield wipers. I am going to do something similar for the DBs who back into parking stalls, and then let their cars idle for 40 minutes into the bus shelters across from the James Short parkade.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried knocking on their door and talking to them?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #30
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Remove the valve stems from their tires.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Now that's crazy talk.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:59 AM   #32
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guns.
Lots and lots of guns.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #33
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

The friendly 'wave and hello' as we walk by with the dogs were ignored. They're the kind of folks to turn off their lights for Halloween, not shovel their driveway and offer the stare down as you drive by.

...and possibly not like dogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, ok. Guns it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #35
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by polak; 02-07-2017 at 09:50 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #36
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Define or defend?

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote