Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default How do you define your driveway?

We haven't paved our driveway this year, we have a few neighbours that did and one cracked. I am waiting till the spring that will be about 1.5 years for the ground to settle. I just have crushed gravel and crushed rock down for now, but people are constantly parking in front of my 'driveway'.

So that made me ask, what actually defines a driveway? My cities bylaw basically says it should be enough space to park as many cars as your garage can hold. So basically, two car stalls wide.

There is a space between my house and my neighbours where people constantly park blocking part of my driveway. It's obvious they park far back from my neighbours paved driveway as they don't want to block it, but then are oblivious to the fact that they are now half way through an imaginary line drawn from my first garage door to the street.

I am not mad they are parking in front of my house, go ahead. What I am mad about is backing my car straight out of my garage and if I wanted to being able to smash their passenger door. We aren't even talking bumper here, like half the cars length is blocking my way.

I could call the city, get them ticketed, yadda yadda, but I don't want to go that route. I've chatted with a few of the neighbours and they don't think it is any of their friends, some even have the same problem, but said they will make sure to tell their guests where to park.

Then I thought well is there a way I could define the driveway? Put up a little mini fence or some ugly pylons or something? It is just temporary so I really don't care how it looks. Anyone had a similar situation they solved? Again, I don't care about people parking in front of my house, they can even park within 3 feet of the edge of the garage I just want to figure out a clear way of showing them this is a driveway because apparently the line of crushed rock isn't enough.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-05-2016 at 09:28 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a curb cut? Usually that defines your driveway.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Talk to your neighbours first and let them know that all that crushed garvel and rock is your temp driveway until you get it paved in the spring. Chances are they may not know that.

If that doesn't work call up 4x4 and have him bring over his tow chains.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to have neighbours who entertained alot and their guests would often park in front of my driveway. I would leave large but polite notes and stick it under the windshield wipers anytime I saw a car parked in my driveway. I was pretty diligent about this. If I looked out my front window and saw a car in the driveway, I'd walk out a put a note under their wiper blade. I would say within a couple of weeks, the number of occurrences dropped by over half. And within a couple of months, they stopped parking in front of my driveway completely.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of a local story from a few weeks ago. A man became so frustrated at having cars repeatedly block his driveway that he started preempting it by parking his own car across his driveway... resulting in a $180 fine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cking-him.html
Old 11-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #6
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Grab 4 of those flags they use to define curbs during the winder for the plows, HD should have them. Put them at the road end of the driveway, two per side.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 11-06-2016 at 06:17 AM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 02:14 AM   #7
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sledgehammer and cat urine.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect it's people not noticing because of the lack of paving. In the winter shovel it so you have to big snow piles on either side with the middle packed down. This should provide the visual cues for people to avoid it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The flags are a good idea. I know people aren't doing it on purpose because I can see how they park far back from the paved and well defined driveway of my neighbour. They just need a better visual than some rocks in the dark. Bright orange flags should do the trick. The notes are also a good idea, just a polite "Please do not block my driveway when parking here, thanks."

And I have talked to numerous neighbours and nobody seems to think it is their guests, so I am at a loss there lol. Everything has been civil I am on good have a beer and bs terms with everyone and I want to keep it that way. Which is why I would rather just help define the driveway instead of calling in tickets.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The flags are a good idea. I know people aren't doing it on purpose because I can see how they park far back from the paved and well defined driveway of my neighbour. They just need a better visual than some rocks in the dark. Bright orange flags should do the trick. The notes are also a good idea, just a polite "Please do not block my driveway when parking here, thanks."

And I have talked to numerous neighbours and nobody seems to think it is their guests, so I am at a loss there lol. Everything has been civil I am on good have a beer and bs terms with everyone and I want to keep it that way. Which is why I would rather just help define the driveway instead of calling in tickets.
I don't know, if you do put flags up and warned your neighbors, I would say its fair to call in for tickets at this point.

That still could hurt your relationships even if you are in the right and gave them fair warning.

Do you live near anything that people may be trying to park for free and your in the terrible sweet zone of free and non-restrictive parking but still walking distance? If so, ticket the strangers parking in front of your place!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

And I have talked to numerous neighbours and nobody seems to think it is their guests, so I am at a loss there lol.
Maybe your neighbours don't realize how dumb some of their guests are?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nothing to add but to complain. As we live across from a school, I have people constantly blocking half my drive way. I even have people park in front of it as I am in the middle of backing up.

I would say, you know you can't park here as its blocking my drive way. The responds are usually..

1. You have enough room to get around me.
2. Oh I didn't know you are home.

I even had one parent yelled at me, saying it's my fault that I should have known for buying a house across the street. Even though when I bought it, there's nothing but a giant field.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #13
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I have a slightly different definition of the term.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my driveway identifies as gender nuetral
Old 11-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=71630

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Dumb question, is it indeed against the law to park in front of someones driveway?

Please say yes.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #17
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Dumb question, is it indeed against the law to park in front of someones driveway?

Please say yes.
Yes it is. You can't block anyone from legally using their property as it is intended.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I define it by parking on it. Possession is 9 tenths of the law!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #19
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I think my driveway identifies as gender nuetral
Well Played.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #20
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yes it is. You can't block anyone from legally using their property as it is intended.
Not only is that contrary to bylaw, but it is also illegal to block your own driveway, in most municipalities anyway.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote