Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #21
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Haven't stayed in the tepees but I've camped there and looked inside. Unless something drastically changed I wouldn't let my dog sleep in there. They were disgusting
Yikes. Thanks for the info.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thought I'd run this by the experienced RV folks before executing. Was about to buy a new small trailer, but a custody battle has done a number on my expendible cash reserves. Simply can't lay out 50k right now, so I was thinking of an idea: my friend's business folded and he is willing to sell me a good condition cargo trailer 6X10 for very little. Instead of wiring up a deep cycle battery, I use one of these: http://www.goalzero.com/p/140/goal-z...olar-generator. This should be able to run a furnace, 12v cooler box, fantastic fan, lights for a couple days. Throw in an Ikea bunk, portable coleman bbq, 12 pack of water bottles. Should be around $7k when all is said and done. Too ghetto or will it work for a season?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #23
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Thought I'd run this by the experienced RV folks before executing. Was about to buy a new small trailer, but a custody battle has done a number on my expendible cash reserves. Simply can't lay out 50k right now, so I was thinking of an idea: my friend's business folded and he is willing to sell me a good condition cargo trailer 6X10 for very little. Instead of wiring up a deep cycle battery, I use one of these: http://www.goalzero.com/p/140/goal-z...olar-generator. This should be able to run a furnace, 12v cooler box, fantastic fan, lights for a couple days. Throw in an Ikea bunk, portable coleman bbq, 12 pack of water bottles. Should be around $7k when all is said and done. Too ghetto or will it work for a season?
For 7K you should be able to get a good used RV...
Old 04-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get a nice used RV for 7k and it will also be safe lol...less even
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #25
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the <10k range, you are looking at something 10+ years old. Do you trust CO emitting appliances of that age? I like to wake up in the mornings. For 7k, everything except the trailer is new.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In the <10k range, you are looking at something 10+ years old. Do you trust CO emitting appliances of that age? I like to wake up in the mornings. For 7k, everything except the trailer is new.
What a weird fear. Buy a CO detector for $30
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #27
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

cracher, we bought a 1976 bonair tent trailer and the stove and furnace still work like a dream. We have woken up every morning after using it, so a 10 year old unit shouldn't be too big of a concern. As long as you vent your trailer (open the hatch on the roof a bit) you shouldn't have any CO issues, if it is a worry, get a battery powered sensor for your trailer. Obviously with a tent trailer that old there is a lot of places for air to escape.

For $7,000 you shouldn't have an issue finding something. I would widen your search for a good deal to Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. Usually find some good deals on there.

I just took a quick look on Kijiji and there are a few hits between $6,000 and $8,000 that are 2006 or newer.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #28
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have been meaning to post this here but haven't gotten around to it, but for those of you who use propane. The Costco in Okotoks or Cross Iron fill 20 lbs propane tanks for $8. Can't beat that anywhere that I have found.

Does anyone have any other places in Calgary that can come close to that? I haven't found any yet.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #29
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I have been meaning to post this here but haven't gotten around to it, but for those of you who use propane. The Costco in Okotoks or Cross Iron fill 20 lbs propane tanks for $8. Can't beat that anywhere that I have found.

Does anyone have any other places in Calgary that can come close to that? I haven't found any yet.
That is a really good price. I assume they fill 30# tanks too or is it just a tank exchange thing?
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I use one of these: http://www.goalzero.com/p/140/goal-z...olar-generator. This should be able to run a furnace, 12v cooler box, fantastic fan, lights for a couple days.
Have you actually tried? The 12 volt cooler I have in my office shows 5.4 amps on 12 volts DC. So with a 100 amp hour battery, and not wanting to put it below 50%, you could run my cooler for a little less than 10 hours.

I don't see the point of that box. Essentially it is a $200 battery in a box.

I will also echo buying a used trailer. You are looking at a $50K new trailer, but then looking at converting a cargo trailer. You say you are concerned about CO from a 10 year old travel trailer, but have no issues with a trailer with no emergency exits. It just seems like you are all over the map on this.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #31
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All over the map is right. I've never been a camper, the ex has always been the driving force so I rarely paid attention to much. Will start scrounging for a used unit. I do have a yeti for home as a backup. The thing is bloody powerful; I used it the garage to run an air compressor and various power tools. I just figured it can survive a couple days of camping....
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #32
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations on RV storage around the city? We are in the NW and would prefer something around there. Picking up a trailer this weekend and the total length is about 33 ft. Somewhere between 60-80 bucks a month I'm guessing?
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Anyone have any recommendations on RV storage around the city? We are in the NW and would prefer something around there. Picking up a trailer this weekend and the total length is about 33 ft. Somewhere between 60-80 bucks a month I'm guessing?
Not sure if they have any spots available or not, but it couldn't hurt to give them a try.

http://www.symonsvalleyrvstorage.com/
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #34
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's several places out near Springbank airport, one right beside the airport (we store ours there) and another on the south side of #1. Extremely convenient for us, less than 15 minutes from the house and if you are heading west it isnt even necesssary to bring the unit home before leaving, just pick it up on the way out of town and drop it off on the way back in.

Springbank Self Storage is where we are, I'm not sure of the name of the other place.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #35
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
That is a really good price. I assume they fill 30# tanks too or is it just a tank exchange thing?
No tank exchange, they fill it. As long as the connect is the same as the 20lbs tanks you should be good to fill there.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #36
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to park our 5th wheel long term and trying to figure out the best way to truly stabilize it.

I've read some people use cinder blocks to take most of the weight off the tires, and then I've seen other people use those screw type jack stands.

Anyone have any experience with either method? Or some better ideas?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #37
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

2x4 cribbing, something like this:

I made mine 18" x 18" with three 2x4s per layer. Little more flexibility with height than cinder blocks and they'll handle mobile homes, park model trailers, modular houses, etc so plenty strong enough for an RV.

Tried using tripod stabilizers/jack stands and was never able to get rid of the sway, set the trailer on 6 of these and it's like being on a foundation.
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WCan_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #38
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for that. I actually use that design right now for stabilizer bases, so I can easily make more of them.

So did you jack your trailer up somehow and then put those under?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #39
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Thanks for that. I actually use that design right now for stabilizer bases, so I can easily make more of them.

So did you jack your trailer up somehow and then put those under?
I've got a 10 ton bottle jack that I used. Lifted one side just enough to take the weight off of the tires and set the first block in the middle, near the axles, did the same on the other side, and then just seesawed the trailer with the the front stabilizer jacks to get the corners set. Once the cribbing was in I flattened the tires and slid them off.

Did you find a lot?
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCan_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #40
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All trailers built before 2007 will kill you got it...you can have these things inspected you know...CO2 detector ect.

A brand new trailer and certainly a home made one would also be susceptible to leaks
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote