Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #201
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
All I see in this example is $10 gross revenue for about an hour of your time
10 mins to get to address (assuming you are already in the area)
10 minutes for trip to store
30 minute wait while in store
10 minute return trip

I think many proponents of driving for Uber have not considered the logistics of driving for a living.
Why would you sit there for 30 minutes?

And the vast majority of drivers will do it on Friday or Saturday night when there is boatloads of fares to get. If there's no one asking for a ride you just log off and go home. As a full time job - its probably not the greatest thing around, but neither is driving a cab.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #202
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Yes I know and I support Uber. I am suggesting if consumers want reliable choices we need to be willing to pay for it.

For example, he eventual insurance solution is going to be costly for the operators which will raise prices to consumers.

If the service is good and reliable, it will cost.

I am just tired of people wanting things cheap.
Everyone wants things cheap!

That being said, I'd be willing to pay a premium to get better service. Probably 25% more if I thought it was going to be actual good service. Doesn't sound like you have to pay a premium now, but I would.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #203
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Do people who drive uber pay tax ?
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #204
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, this makes me want to start a P&C insurance company and start selling coverage to Uber drivers
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #205
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Everyone wants things cheap!

That being said, I'd be willing to pay a premium to get better service. Probably 25% more if I thought it was going to be actual good service. Doesn't sound like you have to pay a premium now, but I would.
Right now the service is terrible and expensive. If we got good OR cheap that would be a big improvement
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #206
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Uber drivers can make 150-200$ per night usually on weekends..Look like we have a hope in layoff thread ...May be I should sign up for it.
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #207
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladaki View Post
Uber drivers can make 150-200$ per night usually on weekends..Look like we have a hope in layoff thread ...May be I should sign up for it.
You have to consider whether that's gross before Uber's cut (First $1.85 plus 20-25% of remaining fare) or net after vehicle operating expenses are.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #208
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used Uber in Scottsdale, Chicago and San Francisco. Fantastic service and everytime I'm standing around or battling for a cab I lament the fact that Calgary is in the stone age.

Normally I walk, take the bus or grab a Car2Go after work as I live centrally. Today I decided that I was going to try out and support Uber Calgary. I logged on as I was finishing up at work and moved the pin locater to my location around the corner from my office. I clicked the Request UberX and within about 20 seconds, was advised that my driver was on his way and his ETA was 11 minutes. I ended up waiting approximately 20-25 minutes because the traffic downtown was terrible (some idiot got in an accident with the c-train). The ETA didn't update very well but I could see my driver's location in the app. At about the 15-17 minute mark, the Uber driver called me to apologize for the delay and advised me that he was still en route if I still needed him. He rolled up in his Mazda 3 (clean, well maintained, etc) and did a great job.

Uber Driver's story: he's a mechanical engineer that is going to try to supplement his income on weekends and during the Christmas party season. He finished his shift at work and turned on his Uber app (after receiving texts and emails from Uber Calgary asking that all drivers get online to help make the launch successful). He said within 10 seconds, my request came up and he accepted. I was his first Uber fare and he was nervous that the City would be doing sting operations. He did say that Uber assured their drivers that they would cover any bylaw fines (kinda like Car2Go covers stupid downtown parking tickets).

Was it perfect? No, but it was the first day and it'll get better (just like it has in other cities). Will I use it again? I will never ever use a traditional cab again.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #209
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

This part of Nenshi's statement bother me because it is not true:

"The government is doing its part. Uber needs to do its part as well."

The government-- i.e. the council supported taxi commission, is actually the source of the problem. And they have dragged along while other cities have moved swiftly to permit services such as Uber.

Nenshi campaigned on being adaptive and creating wonderful cities and cutting red tape, but here he has totally capitulated to the taxi oligarchy. He is a complete hypocrite here. This is probably the most damaging position he has taken for whatever political future he intends.

Taking the position he is taking, he has become a vital part of the very establishment he campaigned against.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #210
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

We need Bunk to lobby Nenshi.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #211
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the city just said

-- you need a class 4 license
-- 5 million in 3 Rd party liability valid for commercial transport
-- x frequency vehicle inspections
-- register with the city to prove you meet with the above for a cost recovery based fee
--
The issues would solve themselves. It would level the playing field and protect the public the rest doesn't matter.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #212
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only matter of a time until cab driver or friends of cab drivers sign up, call for a Uber driver, and start threatening or "strongly encouraging" Uber drivers to back off, during the ride, and/or take down their make and model of car/plates etc. Don't think they care about the $5 or the negative rating they'll get, as the account will cease to exist soon after.

Probably happen sooner than later, before a lot of passenger history exists, that the driver can sort through before deciding to take a fare.

Great that they're here, will come in handy at the most unlikely of times.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #213
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If the city just said

-- you need a class 4 license
-- 5 million in 3 Rd party liability valid for commercial transport
-- x frequency vehicle inspections
-- register with the city to prove you meet with the above for a cost recovery based fee
--
The issues would solve themselves. It would level the playing field and protect the public the rest doesn't matter.
If it were that simple, I don't there would be much issue. Uber has no intention of getting their dress t have that.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #214
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I don't get the whole commercial insurance thing. Uber says on its website that they have 5 million dollar coverage for any driver where their personal insurance is exhausted or won't comply for the situation. Am I missing something here in regards to everyone saying you don't have proper insurance?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #215
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladaki View Post
Do people who drive uber pay tax ?
Depends on how arrogant the driver is. If they want to risk being audited every year for the rest of their lives, they won't report the income. Otherwise yes, they are expected to report the income.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxe...able-1.2969158

Considering payment is done electronically, I certainly wouldn't risk it.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #216
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has this launch been in the works for awhile? Do they just have cars and drivers ready?

I just opened the app. Its showing 5 mins to pickup in Briar Hill. Not bad for the first night of service. I guess.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #217
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Interesting to know Calgary is so far behind the times on Uber, I thought you guys would have had it already.

Personally I just love it. The app is super easy to use and is normally cheaper, quicker, and cleaner than a taxi. Also, female friends find it safer as you know the name of your driver and the route is tracked.

I also love that is uses new smart phone technology to give a big FU to the archaic taxi industry which is still living in the age of fax machines. It has been hilarious to see the taxi lobby reaction in Australia including their poorly though out day long strike actions. They decided the best way to protest a new cheaper, quicker competitor was to reduce their services to zero for a day basically giving everyone a great reason to try Uber. Smart move guys!

I'd love to see that happen here.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:34 AM   #218
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot the other part of my whine... It's like there's a goldilocks zone for cabs. I spent 10 years in bankview/south calgary and got dissed plenty of times on 17th for the ride being too short. Sorry I'm only getting you to take me 10 blocks. Years later, I'm asking them to take me 100 blocks, and still getting bitched at.

Zero sympathy here. I want to go take a ride in an Uber car just for the hell of it.
I'm leery about the Uber insurance situation, that's the main reason I'm on the fence about it. Not supportive but not against either. Just... leery until I know more about the insurance issues.

But regarding the goldilocks zone - I feel like the only fares the taxi guys really want are to the airport and back. Inner city, too small a fare. Burbs, too long a fare. Airport, juuuuust right. And I imagine that most of the time people aren't drunk and obnoxious (or puking) on the way to and from the aiport like they might be on Friday/Saturday night fare. Plus at the airport they probably almost always get to pick someone up and get another big fare?

Airport = Goldilocks zone.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #219
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So I don't get the whole commercial insurance thing. Uber says on its website that they have 5 million dollar coverage for any driver where their personal insurance is exhausted or won't comply for the situation. Am I missing something here in regards to everyone saying you don't have proper insurance?
That insurance is contingent on the driver (if they have an at-fault accident) talking to their insurance company. If they're truthful, the insurance company either refuses the claim or drops them entirely since personal insurance doesn't cover driving for hire activities. Then they go back to Uber and hope they cover. But since it's liability only, it doesn't cover any damage to the driver's vehicle or medical or other losses.

And Uber coverage is only active when there's a passenger in the vehicle. In all other cases with the Uber app active, including driving to the passenger, you have no Uber insurance (and no personal insurance coverage either). This is the widely known Uber insurance gap that in some areas covered by hybrid insurance policies but not yet in Canada.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 AM   #220
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Uber Driver's story: he's a mechanical engineer that is going to try to supplement his income on weekends and during the Christmas party season. He finished his shift at work and turned on his Uber app (after receiving texts and emails from Uber Calgary asking that all drivers get online to help make the launch successful). He said within 10 seconds, my request came up and he accepted. I was his first Uber fare and he was nervous that the City would be doing sting operations. He did say that Uber assured their drivers that they would cover any bylaw fines (kinda like Car2Go covers stupid downtown parking tickets).

Was it perfect? No, but it was the first day and it'll get better (just like it has in other cities). Will I use it again? I will never ever use a traditional cab again.
I'm also in a city that's had Uber for almost 2yrs and have used it abroad. It will now be all about what is the most convenient for yourself.

Walking out of a bar at close and getting an Uber is easy. If you are the type that only likes to get to the airport 1hr early and your flight is at 6am, well then a cab is probably the way to go as you can't pre-order with Uber. You can get around this as there are Uber drivers with cards, so you call them and they show up at a certain time, you turn on your app and book them immediately outside your house.

The best is if you leave your phone in the car (has happened a few times). Its an easy call to the last Uber driver you had (you've got his number or can get it easy) and give him $20 for his time to come back and drop it off. No problem. Uber drivers are normal people (like your Mech Eng.) so they're super easy to deal with.

I'm so happy my hometown finally got Uber, Calgary really does deserve it as I've been one of those guys trying to upstream my fellow Calgarians on frosty Halloween/Xmas Party Season/NYE nights and it was unacceptable.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote