Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
An interesting perspective on skateboarding from Rodney Mullen - A Beautiful Mind : http://theberrics.com/gen-ops/a-beautiful-mind.html
I heard a couple of years back that he was filming a new part. Don't know if it ever happened. It would be neat to see what ridiculous crap he would bust out. The guy is a wizard.
Osker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke Salad View Post
Which 80's re-issue did you go with?
Hosoi Hammerhead:

With these trucks:

Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

damn, that's the same board I had
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #24
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm turning 32 next month and I still have my original blank deck from highschool kicking around. I keep it on my patio and hop on about once a year for a skate around the neighbourhood. My knees/legs hurt like hell the next day and I let it sit around until the next year.

I replaced the bearings a couple years back, but it's still got the big fat wheels on there and the Misfits Crimson Ghost head I pasted on there myself.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to get a Vision Gator reissue because that is what I last had in my teens. Then I read about him doing time for murder and read the story and I just couldn't buy a Gator anymore.

I seriously looked at a Caballero but the local skate shop couldn't get it in for a few months but was able to get Hosoi and a couple others so I chose Hosoi.

It was really a good trip down memory lane looking at all the reissues available.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I didn't know there were reissues. I had a wicked Tony Hawk with a layer of bonite in it. Will have to see if they have that. Does every shop have 80s reissues?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know they were reissuing the 80s decks either. I had a killer Lance Mountain deck with the boneite XT, gullwing trucks, and crossbones wheels. I spent hours doing a cool pattern with multicolored grip tape so it'd be one of a kind. It got stolen from my back yard and since I was kind of drifting away from skating and getting more into mountain biking I just never replaced it. It would be fun to get back out there for another rip though, even if it is 25+ years later....
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #28
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boarderline, the store here in Lethbridge, usually has a couple of them on hand. You can order them online from several different places as well. I chose to go local because I bought my original Vision Gator from them back in 1989 when they first opened.

I'm sure if a shop in Lethbridge carries some then you'll see a few shops in Calgary has some too. If they don't have it in stock they'll most likely order you what you want.

The 80s decks have been available for a few years now. I first noticed them in 2012 and I gather that they were for sale for a couple of years before that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #29
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Re-issues have been out for quite some time, I remember buying one back in 2006.
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #30
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I didn't know there were reissues. I had a wicked Tony Hawk with a layer of bonite in it. Will have to see if they have that. Does every shop have 80s reissues?
The shops here don't do a good job of stocking reissues. My uncle is a distributor who specializes in old school decks. If there's something in particular you're looking for I can see if he can get it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #31
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Boarderline, the store here in Lethbridge, usually has a couple of them on hand. You can order them online from several different places as well. I chose to go local because I bought my original Vision Gator from them back in 1989 when they first opened.
I got my Lance Mountain from a shop in Lethbridge too....waaaay back when. I think it was called "Off the Wall" - it was right across the street from the Lethbridge Herald.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 03-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #32
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I got my Lance Mountain from a shop in Lethbridge too....waaaay back when. I think it was called "Off the Wall" - it was right across the street from the Lethbridge Herald.
I remember that place too. It was small and the wall behind the counter was covered with decks. I think I bought some wheels and/or bearings from that shop.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
An interesting perspective on skateboarding from Rodney Mullen - A Beautiful Mind : http://theberrics.com/gen-ops/a-beautiful-mind.html
I watched Bones Brigade on Netflix a couple of months ago. It was a trip down memory lane.... Rodney is an odd duck. I feel bad for thinking this, but when I first heard him speak, I thought he might have Aspergers. An amazing skater.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #34
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, but I had to necro this thread. I had been thinking about getting back into skateboarding ever since I saw this almost 3 years ago, and I finally pulled the trigger on a Lance Mountain re-issue deck (just like the one I had as a teenager) and now I'm shopping for trucks and wheels.

I know since this thread was last active the city has opened a bunch of smaller skateparks. The Midnapore one opened last summer and my son has been begging me to go over there with him ever since. (which was another motivator for getting the new board) Any other suggestions for good skate spots? Are the city parks each fairly unique or do they all kind of follow the same cookie-cutter design? I'm in my 40s now and certainly not going to be setting the world on fire doing crazy tricks and huge airs, but if there are cool places to skate then I'd love to check them out.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #35
Csquared
Draft Pick

There are also skateparks in woodbine, southwood and by Henry wisewood if you are in the South. They are all different from each other but they aren't that spectacular.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Csquared For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #36
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a Vision Street Ghost, Chris Miller, Tony Hawk mini all made it to the trash but wish I would have kept them. Some fun times and hard miles on those boards. Mainly a street skater but I remember the days at the Snowboard shop on 10th street and trying out their ramp that they had beside the store. Used to get decks/trucks/stickers/grip tape etc from Free Wheelin on 8th ave and then later across from the Dome. Skateboarding is not a crime! One of my favorite skate movies growing up was the search for animal chin.
Maps to the skaters homes Most of these guys were in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR17ZsdpXVY

Last edited by macker; 03-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #37
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #38
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Rode a Mike McGill back in the 80's.

A fractured face on a half pipe made me quit. Just couldn't get on one after that.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #39
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never had any big accidents, but now that I'm in my 40s, I have too much trepidation to do much. I haven't got on my skate very much in the past 3 years. I rode it alongside the family on a bike ride last summer because my wife's bike was in the middle of repairs, so she rode mine and I took my skate, but yeah. I'm just a chicken now that I'm old.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #40
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I never had any big accidents, but now that I'm in my 40s, I have too much trepidation to do much. I haven't got on my skate very much in the past 3 years. I rode it alongside the family on a bike ride last summer because my wife's bike was in the middle of repairs, so she rode mine and I took my skate, but yeah. I'm just a chicken now that I'm old.
Injuries take way too long to heal when you're older. I did something to my shoulder last spring, and it was well into August before I could shoot a basketball. Sofa king annoying.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote