Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Question Flames fans in Atlantic Canada (NS & NB)

Are there any flames fans on here that live in the Atlantic Canada part of the country (Nova Scotia & New Brunswick specifically)??
I may have the opportunity to emigrate to this part of Canada but I really want to try and get a feel for the area. I work in travel and tourism, so know both quite well from a visitors perspective but I would like to know what it is like to live there.
What is the cost of living like, are houses expensive or can you get a lot for your money, what areas would you recommend for living (and which to avoid).

Any background help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you CP as always.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well this is a pretty strong endorsment (not) of Eastern Canada or we have no CP flames fans over there, as I have had 113 views and no replies
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Maybe Halifax Drunk and Maritime W Scout?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Im from Halifax. The cost of living is fair and you can definitely get a lot for your money with housing compared to some major cities in Canada. Do you have work lined up. What parts of Atlantic Canada are you considering? I personally loved growing up in Halifax and would move back there in a heart beat if I had the right career opportunity. Halifax comes with the urban city feel in a lot of areas yet you are not far from open nature.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

another from Saint John, NB.. housing is pretty cheap here and quality of life is pretty decent. not really a lot happening but it is a great place to live and raise a family.

anything else ask away

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't live there anymore, but grew up there. Halifax by far would be the nicest area to live in my opinion, but it also easily the most expensive. When I've looked at moving home a few times, I find Halifax housing costs to be rather similar to Calgary (excluding Dartmouth), with significantly less salaries paid. I anticipated my wife and I would have to each take a 40% salary reduction to move back to Halifax while most of the housing is within 100K of Calgary.

If you are looking for affordability, Moncton and Saint John (both former AHL teams of the Flames so Flames fans are present) are the best options. Housing is as cheap as you will find in Canada, and there's no real difference in the wages there compared to Halifax at all. If you are in a government industry and can't speak French though, I would avoid New Brunswick like the plague.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Well this is a pretty strong endorsment (not) of Eastern Canada or we have no CP flames fans over there, as I have had 113 views and no replies
Most of Eastern Canada still connects to the internet via smoke signal, so you might have to wait a few weeks for a response.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just seeing this now.

Born and raised in Sydney, NS.

What would you like to know? Feel free to send me a PM. I love this place, and am happy to tell you whatever you want to know (the good and bad, fun and annoying).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spent first 50% of my life in Cape Breton, 2nd half in Calgary.

Feel free to send a pm this way as well.

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Housing prices are insanely cheap compared to here.
A buddy of mine just shared this listing. I'm guessing it would cost at least double around here.
Winters are brutal but the east coast, in general, is a highly underrated and beautiful gem.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
I think... part of it is that we don't know what you like. If you like country side, then you'd love that part of the area. If you want a little more city life, then this play may bore you.

I don't know what is "expensive" for housing for you, but last time I was in London, I spent pounds like I spend a dollar here. Literally. I'm guessing housing wouldn't be too bad for you if you immigrated. I am not really aware of any "bad areas" in NS or NB.

I always hear about how beautiful Eastern Canada is and I've really wanted to go check it out. Sorry, I don't have first hand experience and I am assuming most of us are in Western Canada.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am in St. John's, Newfoundland but that's not where you're asking about

I have lived in many places in three different countries and I like it here the most.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote