Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #61
T-Rich
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is our grid really set up so you can sell your extra solar back to the grid?

I always thought that wasn't an option in Alberta.
Yes, it's set up that way. It's been an option for a while now.
T-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #62
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Enmax has a net-metering program. A Calgarian posted their experience in detail here:

http://imgur.com/a/aJ4BG

Unfortunately the current problems with AWS is making it inaccessible.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For a while it wasnt, but if you want to change how electricity is generated in this Province then you have to change the options too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Could you charge them admin and delivery fees??
Ha! You'll be lucky if you even get market rate. They'll probably tell you that the power you generate isnt as valuable as the power they generate.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #64
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be curious to know if the economies of scale make residential solar better than utility scale. Other than space savings, I just can't imagine it makes more sense to have duplicate infrastructure scattered in small pockets all over, rather than a large solar generating farm.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #65
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So from a personal finance perspective, if I use 1000 kwh per month and generate 250, it doesn't matter when I generate it. I will still only pay for 750 kwh of use.
That's not really accurate in Alberta, though, I don't think. Here you get charged for the 1000 kWh, along with the access fees, administration fees and all the tariffs and ryders associated with that 1000 kWh, and then you get a credit for the generation of the 250kWh.

Other jurisdictions do it differently, where you net out your consumption, and that's what all of your ryders and fees are based off of. So your fees could be up to 25% cheaper in your example above.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works here.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 02-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #66
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yes, I was trying to simplify it. Basically power generated when you aren't home doesn't get "wasted."

This is where other provinces have an advantage. People using hydro,etc pay an extra 1¢ per kwh, and because so few people have solar the people with panels get paid something like triple or quadruple the going rate for power. 30 people each paying the 1¢ creates an extra 30¢ per kwh. So a person can have solar panels installed for free, and get a cheque every year for a few hundred. That is a nice incentive.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #67
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yes, I was trying to simplify it. Basically power generated when you aren't home doesn't get "wasted."

This is where other provinces have an advantage. People using hydro,etc pay an extra 1¢ per kwh, and because so few people have solar the people with panels get paid something like triple or quadruple the going rate for power. 30 people each paying the 1¢ creates an extra 30¢ per kwh. So a person can have solar panels installed for free, and get a cheque every year for a few hundred. That is a nice incentive.
Its taxable...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #68
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

D'oh!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #69
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming by 'solar' the government program is only about electrical solar panels? I would hope they also include thermal solar in the program as well as that seems much more practical in Alberta than solar might be. Using solar to heat or pre-heat water etc.

That said, I'm in the same boat as many others here. It's irrelevant what the rebates are as I cannot justify the financial outlay to begin with.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #70
Alpaca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I think the whole Alberta electricity system needs a revamp. As an example most or all Albertan's pay Transmission and Distribution charges. In a lot of cases these fees are a set amount doesn't matter how much electricity you consume the charges are the same. Also depending on where you live or whom your delivery provider is you pay different fees . People in the city pay different fees than those in the rural areas, those in the rural area serviced by Fortis pay a different amount than those rural folks in the Atco service area. We have a farm service in the Fortis service area. Our Distribution charges are $2.536 per day, doesn't matter whether we use 0 electricity or 1000 kWh the distribution charge is the same. So what is the incentive to conserve electricity? And what is the incentive to go solar. Distribution fees for a Farm Service in the Atco service region are substantially lower but are still a set daily fee. Change to distribution charges to be more consumption cents/ kWh used and the picture changes there is an incentive to conserve electricity, solar becomes more economical. The big bonus is that changing the way Distribution fees are charged doesn't cost the government a cent.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #71
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of clarifications:
First, every customer with an electric meter pays the transmission and distribution charges.

The distribution (and transmission) system isn't free, and costs more per user in rural Alberta.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #72
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
A couple of clarifications:
First, every customer with an electric meter pays the transmission and distribution charges.
Yet somehow, the monthly distribution costs for 300kWh to my 500sq ft inner city condo are the same as the distribution costs for 800kWh to your suburb 2100sqft house...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #73
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Yet somehow, the monthly distribution costs for 300kWh to my 500sq ft inner city condo are the same as the distribution costs for 800kWh to your suburb 2100sqft house...
Not possible. A small portion of the delivery charges are based on consumption.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #74
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

And both do still travel along the same length of infrastructure to get from the power plant to your home.

Still, I'd rather have a price per kwh that had everything factored in. That way if somebody chooses to conserve electricity (or install solar panels) it actually makes a significant difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #75
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally it would. Part of the reason the delivery charges look high, is because the pool price is so low. 2.5 cents/kWh is insanely low. My electricity bill has been half of my gas bill in 2017. Carbon levy has added about 10%
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #76
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of the ryders are based on demand, not consumption, and it makes sense why. Demand is the highest amount of consumption you used in a month, and it carries with you for 12 months after that point. So if you needed a whole bunch of electricity in January, the distribution system needs to be sized to accommodate that demand, even if you manage to reduce consumption over the next number of months. If you can show that you can reduce your consumption over a 12 month period the distributor will see that they will not require as much infrastructure, and size the system appropriately.

Since the system is built to satisfy demand it makes sense that the tariffs are based off of kVA, not kWh.

As Alpaca says, though, the idea of a flat fee for farm services doesn't make a tonne of sense. Not for the distributor, nor for the consumer.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #77
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
As Alpaca says, though, the idea of a flat fee for farm services doesn't make a tonne of sense. Not for the distributor, nor for the consumer.
Sorry, I was referring more to the residential side. It would work well for both. The distributor can charge the max based upon peak usage, and the consumer can adjust their usage and/or put power onto the grid to maximize savings.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #78
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
That's not really accurate in Alberta, though, I don't think. Here you get charged for the 1000 kWh, along with the access fees, administration fees and all the tariffs and ryders associated with that 1000 kWh, and then you get a credit for the generation of the 250kWh.

Other jurisdictions do it differently, where you net out your consumption, and that's what all of your ryders and fees are based off of. So your fees could be up to 25% cheaper in your example above.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works here.
This is correct. Alberta is net billing, not net metering.

In this example, the micro generator is consuming a net if 750 kWh, they are using 1250 kWh of system capacity. The argument some make is that the fees should be paid both ways in a true user-pay system.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #79
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Probably pretty close. The lines are relatively maintenance free once installed. The transformers on a per into basis likely roughly about the same. And since the power stations are located outside the cities the transmission distance for your inner city condo may be longer than the transmission distance from the burbs.

So yes, unless I am missing something getting power two your electrical meter in the inner city has roughly the same cost as getting the power to the burbs.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: