Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #81
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Rumor had it if the Flames had won tonight then Tortorella would have been fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Word is around the Flames that they knew this and didn't tie it up on purpose
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #82
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they were going to fire him if they lost and now won't because they managed 14 shots against the one of the worst teams in the league but somehow won.... that's some kind of management over there.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #83
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was extremely impressed with Granlund's ability to backcheck. He must've broke up about three or four plays.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #84
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I also loved granlund wanting the puck to 1-time on the PP.

Confidence is key. Must be from playing against men in Finland.

Monahan - Ortio - Colborne - Granlund look like locks for next season.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #85
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I don't know why people were complaining about Hrudey so much. That was a dull game and as a commentator you need to look for themes or stories that are developing. The kid let's in a goal from centre and then nothing the rest of the way. That WAS the story of the game.

There are idiot commentators like Healey but Hrudey is one of the good ones - let's not turn into a fan base that is so sensitive and whiny that we over-react to the smallest thing.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #86
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Hrudey is also a former goalie, of course he's going to focus on goalies to a redundant degree.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #87
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I don't know why people were complaining about Hrudey so much. That was a dull game and as a commentator you need to look for themes or stories that are developing. The kid let's in a goal from centre and then nothing the rest of the way. That WAS the story of the game.

There are idiot commentators like Healey but Hrudey is one of the good ones - let's not turn into a fan base that is so sensitive and whiny that we over-react to the smallest thing.
I had no problems with Hrudey either - I agree that, after the goaltending turmoil in Van, and the McGrattan goal, that Lack was the story.

Other than that, he was equally positive and critical of both teams.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #88
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 pages and I see a lot of hate on both Hrudey and Cammalleri. To top it off only one gif

Not sure why the hate on Hrudey for bringing up how Eddie Lack played. He's one of the reason why the Canucks won the game. I thought the game was ugly and boring as not a lot of shots. Both teams are pretty cautious to make mistakes and there are a lot of blocked shots. I think I even heard Ball and Hrudey saying 54+ blocked shots between the two teams. Oh we lost but i am not too ticked off about it. Yes it would have been nice to beat the Canucks but no biggie.

Joni Ortio is actually playing well but so far he gave up 3 goals on scrambled in front of the net. It wasn't a 100% his fault because defensemen or forward should not let the opposing players to keep putting a stick while Ortio is trying to hold off the puck. I like his play though and I feel more confident in him than Reto Berra though.

The kids are alright. Granlund is improving and I like the way he goes back in a play defensively. Monahan is beginning to show his touch in front of the net while Colborne is starting to get comfortable with his new position and also starting to use his size. Paul Byron I think is here to stay. The guy got some speed and he's creative with the puck. I think the weakest rookie we have so far is Ben Hanowski but he is not that bad. He uses his body lately too but we can't really see what is capable of doing because he is playing less minutes and on the 4th line. As for Wotherspoon, i think he is doing well in his two games so far. It's great that he's got the taste of the NHL late this season. Not sure how long he will be in Flames uniform(back to Abby when Wideman comes back).
Anyways I am very pleased with how the rookies are playing.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #89
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hrudey is also a former goalie, of course he's going to focus on goalies to a redundant degree.
And he incessantly praises someone 9 games out of 10
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #90
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
And he incessantly praises someone 9 games out of 10
He's a former player. He's a nice change from the stupidly pessimistic Millen.

He's like a more polite, less creepy Pierre McGuire.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #91
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
He's a former player. He's a nice change from the stupidly pessimistic Millen.

He's like a more polite, less creepy Pierre McGuire.
Totally agree
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #92
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post

Plus, he was pretty positive about the Flames in general, and guys like Granlund, Ortio and (especially) Bouma, in particular.

I was just happy to hear somebody give Bouma the credit he's deserved for a long, long time. Hrudey was 'pumping his tires' pretty good last night, I thought!
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #93
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Lets just remember Hrudey lives in Calgary and is a season ticket holder and always has positive things to say about the Flames.
Meh. Rob Kerr takes it on the chin all the time from fans and I don't see fans calling for apologies. Hrudey is a big boy and should be able to accept some criticisms for what I would call not one of his best games. It's pretty obvious that many of us noticed him rambling the same stuff over and over. We all got that Lack let in a bad goal and bounced back but it was pretty painful having to hear it every time he touched the puck for the entire 2nd half of the game. As a Flames fan it would have been just as annoying if it was the other way around and Ortio let in the bad goal. You have to move on with the game in a broadcast and he didn't do that. Also nobody in the country is tuning in to hear the violin for Burrows as outside of Vancouver he's one of the most despised players in the NHL.

I like Kelly and always have but last night was just one of those nights for him not unlike that goal Lack let in. Sometimes people aren't always on top of their games. If Flames players or the SN guys aren't above criticism neither should nice guys like Hrudey.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-09-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #94
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team Hrudey lol the shoe definitely fits.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #95
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would rather have Wotherspoon over Wideman IMO.