Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #161
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Ferly is our 1st line RW, I'm taking the year off next year.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #162
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a top line RW upgrade can't be brought in somehow, I'm actually warming up to the ida of playing Tkachuk on his off wing with those two. Either that or have Gaudreau flip to his off wing.

Then have Jankowski play left wing with Backlund and Frolik, 3M line V2.0 if you will. Good way for a rookie to break into the NHL.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #163
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think this is what I would like to see:

[Tkachuk] [Monahan (A)] [Gaudreau]
[Frolik] [Backlund (A)] [Bennett]
[Ferland] [Jankowski] [Versteeg]
[Chiasson] [Stajan] [Lazar]
[Bouma]

[Giordano (C)] [Hamilton]
[Shattenkirk] [Brodie]
[Stone] [Engelland]
[Andersson]

[Bishop]
[Gillies]

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-24-2017 at 12:53 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #164
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Out of curiosity why? He was the best fit at that spot at the end of this year. Or is it more you're hoping for a free agent to fill that spot.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #165
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Taking a team to the Finals is exactly what I want from a goalie im paying big money.

3/4 really good seasons and that cant really be sanely disputed.

A 0.916 save % in the reg season and a 0.921 in the playoffs combined with 53 wins is not a sub par season no matter what way you want to spin it.

It wasnt a stellar vezina quality season but he more than got the job done.

If we woild have hsd goaltending like that this season we likely would havd hsd home ice in round 1 and certainly wouldn't have been swept in round 1

Elliot had a season like that a year ago and took the Blues all the way to the Conference finals. Look how that turned out for us. If these goalies were as good as you're saying, their current teams would not be letting them go.

I'll pass on Bishop. Time to try something different and go with a younger goalie with the potential to evolve. The Flame are fools if they blow their cap space and put all their stock behind another older starter that was jettisoned from a highly successful franchise.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-24-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #166
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Elliot had a season like that a year ago and took the Blues all the way to the Conference finals. Look how that turned out for us. If these goalies were as good as you're saying, their current teams would not be letting them go.

I'll pass on Bishop. Time to try something different and go with a younger goalie with the potential to evolve. The Flame are fools if they blow their cap space and put all their stock behind another older starter that was jettisoned from a highly successful franchise.
Elliott has never had a season where he started 60+ games. Your comparison doesn't work.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #167
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Time for Matt Stajan to move on elsewhere

The Flames should look to move Stajan in order to make room for Jankowski or another prospect that's ready to move into the line-up.

Stajan only makes $2 million in actual dollars next season so he might have enough value for a team that struggles to hit the salary floor. If the Flames can't get a late draft pick or if he isn't picked up in the expansion draft then buying him out is the best option imo.

At first I didn't think buying him out would make much sense but it will only adds $666,667 to the cap in 2018-19 and saves $1.4 million in cap space in 2017-18. More important than the cap savings next season is opening a spot for a younger player.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #168
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think this is what I would like to see:

[Tkachuk] [Monahan (A)] [Gaudreau]
[Frolik] [Backlund (A)] [Bennett]
[Ferland] [Jankowski] [Versteeg]
[Chiasson] [Stajan] [Lazar]
[Bouma]

[Giordano (C)] [Hamilton]
[Shattenkirk] [Brodie]
[Stone] [Engelland]
[Andersson]

[Bishop]
[Gillies]
Why move Frolik to LW when Bennett prefers LW?

Leave Bennett as 3C, Janko at 2LW, Frolik at 2RW

Edit; And please no Shattenkirk.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #169
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Jankowski is a playmaking centre. His style is less conduscive to the wing than Bennett's. And unlike Bennett it's not junior vs NHL for him so we don't have to play him out of position as he breaks in, he's already far more developed than Bennett was. Jankowski's strengths suit the centre ice position and I think it makes zero sense to play him out of position.

And yes, that means it's hard to fit him into the lineup barring injury. IMO he may force Bennett to the wing as Bennett's style of game is much more suited to the wing than Janko's
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #170
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Jankowski is a playmaking centre. His style is less conduscive to the wing than Bennett's. And unlike Bennett it's not junior vs NHL for him so we don't have to play him out of position as he breaks in, he's already far more developed than Bennett was. Jankowski's strengths suit the centre ice position and I think it makes zero sense to play him out of position.

And yes, that means it's hard to fit him into the lineup barring injury. IMO he may force Bennett to the wing as Bennett's style of game is much more suited to the wing than Janko's
I don't think there's any chance they move Bennett to the wing after refusing to do so this year.

Especially not for a rookie, as polished as Jankowski may be he's still a rookie.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #171
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

I had wondered going into the playoffs if Ferland was being deployed sub optimally on the top line.

Now, I really like him as a player and was in the camp that saw him having great skills and potential. Furthermore he was the best option CGY used on the top line this year.

However his performance in the Canucks series showed what a game impacting physical weapon he could be in the playoffs. I was thinking should they drop him down so he can play that same game against Bieksa and green Ducks D. The obvious consequence is who replaces him on top line.

For the past series, where would he have been most valuable?

Others may disagree but I didn't feel CGY brought that momentum changing physicality. Ferland was a missle against the Canucks (7-8 hits/ game) and intimidated or at least got in the heads of Canucks and that didn't happen against the Ducks. Why? Ferland was on the top line (he was counted on to produce and he played well - but we lost his physicality) and no one else provided that element they way he could.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #172
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
We'll agree to disagree on Bishop, but good new:. We can get it for 3 million cheaper with Scott Darling.

He just put up two (great?) seasons playing 30 games each. Poised to take a starter role, and similar numbers to Bishop at half the price.
If Darling is that great why don't the hawks just keep him? lord knows they need cap space
Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #173
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely Jankowskis the fourth line centre and stajan moves to the wing and plays the injury support role.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #174
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If Darling is that great why don't the hawks just keep him? lord knows they need cap space
Crawford has a NTC / NMC
Not saying Darling is the answer, just not sure Bishop at 5 x $6M minimum is either. It's going to take that for Bishop, no?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #175
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Crawford has a NTC / NMC
Not saying Darling is the answer, just not sure Bishop at 5 x $6M minimum is either. It's going to take that for Bishop, no?
modified right? he gives them a list of teams...there are options if they really wanted to
Old 04-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #176
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, modified. Details unknown. If that list is short, there probably aren't many options.
What are they usually?
10 no go?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #177
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll also be disappointed if Ferland is the best option they have for the 1RW next season. We need another weapon on the top line. If teams can clog up Gaudreau's space, we need the other winger to be skilled enough to make something out of nothing as well. Ferland compliments alright, but he doesn't create by himself unless he can force the odd turnover. We need it so that the line can do damage whether or not Gaudreau can find space. Someone that can play at their skill level.

1RW / 4D / stopgap G - there are options out there for all three.

Get it done.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #178
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah probably 10 or so but we don't know

Its not often a player won't work with a team if they decide to go another direction....especially in goal

"so we are gonna make Darling the starter this season, you will likely be a backup unless you accept a trade to X destination where you will be a starter"

this is all assuming the Hawks are as high on Darling as some on here are
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #179
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Stajan - Lazar - Hathaway
Hamilton

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kulak - Andersson
Bartkowski

Bishop
Rittich
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #180
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A top line winger would be nice but priority wise it definitely comes after goalie and D.

This team has no NHL goalies signed next year.
Our top 4 D signed for next year includes Matt Bartkowski.
As for trade chips, the Flames have no 2nd or 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft and no extra picks in any other round. And arguably not a lot of organizational depth from which to make trades.
Approximately $22 million in cap space from which to sign/promote 10 players needed to fill out the NHL roster.

If for some reason Treliving is not coming back, a new GM would need some time to come up with a game plan. Would be nice to see the Flames commit to their GM or if they're not prepared to do so, they might want to put their new plan in motion.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
too soon?