Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #161
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH93 View Post
I don't know about you, but when I see a first line centre getting paid over $6 million, I'd say 20 goals is a disappointing year if it isn't being compensated by great all-around play.

It's especially disappointing when you see that he hasn't compensated for his lack of goals (or anything on the ice, really) with assists. He's sitting at just 3 on the season. And it's not like he's a great two-way centre. Take Toews for example. He doesn't score much but he's one of the best centres in the game because of all the other things he does right. Monny has been invisible on the ice so far this season.

20 games in, 5 G 3A. I'm hopeful he'll eventually pick up the pace, but yikes.
I agree with you, my point was that if a guy can play horrible but still put up 20 goals he's probably not a guy you want to be trading when he's 22 years old.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #162
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I love Monahan and know that this is just a slump. He is a good player and will be a great one, but I would have stapled his ass to the bench in the 3rd last night right beside Brouwer. Brouwer for undisciplined play and Monahan to see if it cured his invisibility.

Also Chiasson would be on waivers at this point. I have never seen so many offense zone plays turn the other way once the puck gets on a player's stick.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #163
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
so now we're blasting him because he didn't dominate in his first ever playoffs series when he was 20 years old? Cool.
FFS who is blasting him for that? It was pointed out, nothing more.

This is a discussion forum where people are discussing the shortcomings of our 3rd highest paid player who happens to be playing terrible. If that's too much for some to handle perhaps avoid threads titled "Let's talk about Sean Monahan".

Last edited by Bear; 11-22-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #164
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

If Monahan is hurt, I'd rather he rest and get back to 100% and call up a guy like Jankowski.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #165
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am huge Monahan fan and don't endorse trading this guy at all. He's going to have a long lucrative career. Heck, he's leading his draft class in scoring still.

However, wasn't there chatter a season or two ago that Tampa Bay was extremely interested in acquiring him?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #166
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's been a good, if not great, player in his first 3 years in the league. He signs a big contract, and has sucked for 20 games this year.

Injured to start the season, big contract pressure, bad start by him and gaudreau, confidence at a critically low point. I'm not saying we should ignore any or all of these factors and excuse his play. However, seeing as he's just 22 years old, i think it's obvious that he will work through this, and get things turned around.

I'm as frustrated by this team as anyone, but i suppose we need to ease up with the pitchforks for the youth on this club. The kids are going to have their ups and downs.

Who i will not excuse are the coaches, and the vets of this team (giordano, brodie, wideman, brower, elliott) are the ones that deserve the pressure to step up and deliver.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #167
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I agree with you, my point was that if a guy can play horrible but still put up 20 goals he's probably not a guy you want to be trading when he's 22 years old.
I'd rather he score 12 goals and play some solid, inspired hockey, which is something he can control completely. 20 goals from him at this point is entirely moot as he is doing zilch to help the team in any way. Some tenacity, puck possession and leadership would go a very long way. He was looking like he was trending towards a Toews for a few years. Now what I see out of Monohan is a less inspired Rob Neidermayer this season.

The Flames aren't losing because of him but if he was the elite player we all thought he was he would be finding ways to help the team win.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 11-22-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #168
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I see it is that this whole season is already gone down the tubes. I care long term about the team and I think even if Monahan has a terrible year, he'll be a good player in the future. I don't think he's going to play this way for ever but I think he needs to work on stuff and use this season as a big lesson. It's just too bad there aren't any good teachers for him.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #169
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I am huge Monahan fan and don't endorse trading this guy at all. He's going to have a long lucrative career. Heck, he's leading his draft class in scoring still.

However, wasn't there chatter a season or two ago that Tampa Bay was extremely interested in acquiring him?

I guarantee 29 teams are extremely interested in acquiring him.

But one team has him, and that one team is going to keep him.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #170
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't a 27-30 year old player who looks to be on the downswing. A back injury and added pressure to live up to the contract are likely a reason for the poor start. Since then it appears his confidence is all but gone.

We have to ride it out with Monahan and hope he finds his game
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #171
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Most players go through ups and downs. This is hardly unusual particularly after signing a big deal
I know but what are some examples?

I've stopped really watching the games on TV but from the sounds of it Monahan still looks like he legitimately forgot how to play hockey out there. I could use some examples to ease my mind as a Flames fan.

(Don't think we should trade him at all before I'm accused of that, well unless the return justifies it of course)
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #172
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Thanks for raising this. It's laughable that some are claiming this to be a "20 game slump". The guy disappeared on the road and in the playoffs and has some seriously concerning holes in his game that have shown no improvement in 4 years. Some criticism and concern is merited.
Where does that come from? He's better at the Saddledome but his road splits aren't bad. 39 goals, 69 points in 130 games on the road, 29 less points and seven less goals on the road vs home ice. You'd want those numbers to be tighter but that isn't anything close to a vanishing act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
FFS who is blasting him for that? It was pointed out, nothing more.

This is a discussion forum where people are discussing the shortcomings of our 3rd highest paid player who happens to be playing terrible. If that's too much for some to handle perhaps avoid threads titled "Let's talk about Sean Monahan".
Sorry, wasn't he just replying to what you said, pointing out that maybe it's a bit silly to slight a 20 year old second year player for not being great in his first post season. Maybe you should buck up a little?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 960 guys are trashing Monahan this morning. Trashing! Saying he's Matt Stajan. Now I'm not saying I agree with them but I and others did have reservations last season that despite solid stats that Monahan looked to me more of a complementary player than offensive driver. This season that looks more true than ever. I don't think he's as bad as he's looked this season but I don't think he's as good as the stats would indicate over the past few seasons.

I don't think you shop him but he's definitely a player that you would entertain trading in a one for one deal with another young and talented player if another team comes sniffing around. I just feel he's probably hit his offensive ceiling.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #174
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Where does that come from? He's better at the Saddledome but his road splits aren't bad. 39 goals, 69 points in 130 games on the road, 29 less points and seven less goals on the road vs home ice. You'd want those numbers to be tighter but that isn't anything close to a vanishing act.

Sorry, wasn't he just replying to what you said, pointing out that maybe it's a bit silly to slight a 20 year old second year player for not being great in his first post season. Maybe you should buck up a little?
Strange post. The stats you provide do a pretty solid job of supporting my point, not yours. And then there's the fact that performance goes way beyond just the points. As we are seeing this year, when the goals aren't there Monahan doesn't add a whole lot on the ice. When I watch Monahan (and TBF Gaudreau as well) I see them disappear in the tough road games. Its not the end of the world as they are young players but again its worth discussing.

And to the 2nd point, I hardly 'blasted' Monahan for his playoff performance. If you're going to be so damn sensitive perhaps its not I that needs to ""buck up".
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #175
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The 960 guys are trashing Monahan this morning. Trashing! Saying he's Matt Stajan. Now I'm not saying I agree with them but I and others did have reservations last season that despite solid stats that Monahan looked to me more of a complementary player than offensive driver. This season that looks more true than ever. I don't think he's as bad as he's looked this season but I don't think he's as good as the stats would indicate over the past few seasons.

I don't think you shop him but he's definitely a player that you would entertain trading in a one for one deal with another young and talented player if another team comes sniffing around. I just feel he's probably hit his offensive ceiling.

I disagree about shopping or trading him but for the fun of it what one for one deal would fans get behind?

Mackinnon?
Reinhart?
Galchenyuk?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #176
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

30 goals is a legit offensive ceiling. Not even Johnny the Great has scored more goals.

Monahan is not playing well this season, but people are having revisionist history here. He was great in his first three seasons, and played well in all zones. What is wrong this season? I don't know. What I do know is the guy has loads of talent and hockey sense, and that is is 21 years old. He may not be mentally tough enough yet to overcome a slump like this and it's perpetuating into worse and worse play.

I am disappointed with Gio's leadership this season as well. It feels like the whole team is mentally fragile, and I think your leadership has a lot to do with it. I think they are past the point of no return now, but Gio et al should have started pounding the tar out of people who were slashing Johnny. Maybe it would have deterred them, maybe not, but one thing it would have done was light a fire under the team.

Any team I ever played on where a guy answered the bell, the players felt a little jolt of energy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #177
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Interesting. Can you expand a bit on what they were saying? I find the local media quite gentle with Flames players on the whole.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #178
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They were also trashing Backlund saying he needs to do more, only has 3 goals. So it's more frustration than anything, which I understand. The vast majority of this team is severely under performing.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #179
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
They were also trashing Backlund saying he needs to do more, only has 3 goals. So it's more frustration than anything, which I understand. The vast majority of this team is severely under performing.
Backlund is one of the Flames best player this season. Only players who are really under performing are Monahan and Brodie.

Gio is 33 and on a decline, no too surprising. Sam Bennett looks like he did last year. Hamilton looks like he did last year. Elliot looks like a 1A/B, which he was last year.

Who else? Brouwer maybe? He looks okay though, his lack of offense seems to be a product of his team mates.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #180
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Before the weekend Backlund had one goal in 19 games. He had a good start but was just okay until the past two games.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote