Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #101
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Re Monahan "has always been known to be a floater".. and I'm done reading that..

Sadly, HF is a better read these days.. some of this crap is so... crappy.

Every player struggles. I would rather Johnny and Monny go through it now when we aren't a contender so they learn how to fight through it rather than them going through it in march or April over the next 5 years when it could cost us a playoff spot or worse.

Get a grip people.

This is sounding like the mantra that Trump just wants to be president so he can launch a nuke... cmon..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #102
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

posted in another thread where folks were questioning chiasson's value and skill. I think it's relevant here also.

when i watch the top line play this year, i feel that other team's have really tried to adjust to Gaudreau. He's at his best when he can hit the offensive zone with the puck, wiht speed, and a little bit of space causing the defense to either try to:
1) commit (ie. move into gaudreau's path) which allows gaudreau to utilize his dipsy-doodling skills, quick lateral movements, to dangle into the middle
2) back off a bit, which allows gaudreau to curl back and use the newly available time to find a team mate.

Other teams seem to have been able to position themselves to create enough traffic around Gaudreau at the offensive line to not allow him to play to his strengths.

So instead we are seeing him 1) Skate/deke right into traffic, 2) pass it off to monahan/chiasson to skate the puck into the offensive zone and try to create something, 3) pass it off to monahan/chiasson who dump it in (mostly into gaudreau's corner, which annoys me to no end, as he will likely lose the puck battle).

I think the reason monahan/chiasson look so meh at the moment, is that point 2 is really not playing to their strength of what makes them successful. Both would be better suited trying to win a dump in puck battle, or crashing the net to create lanes/opportunities for others.

Now one other opinion i'd like to add. The changes in the breakout strategy, the removal of the stretch pass, has greatly reduced the 'rush' opportunities to gain the zone. Instead, the 5 man unit breakouts, have given the opposition the time needed to get into good position to create traffic at their own blue line to create the havoc needed to get the puck out of gaudreau's hands quickly. As such, gaudreau isn't able to play to his strengths listed above.

Monahan/Gaudreau have struggled, but i think there is a large component of their struggles that are based off opposition adjustments to their style of play over the past 2 years.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #103
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Backlund is not a #1 C.
He does have the advanced stats of a #1 C though.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #104
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
He does have the advanced stats of a #1 C though.
What does that mean? Is it that his advanced stats (possession/corsi i assume) are in line with what is expected of a top line C while he plays in his 2nd/3rd Center role? I'd be reluctant to use that as an argument that he could continue to perform at that level if put in the top line C role (though i don't think that's necessarily what you are saying).
Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #105
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
What does that mean? Is it that his advanced stats (possession/corsi i assume) are in line with what is expected of a top line C while he plays in his 2nd/3rd Center role? I'd be reluctant to use that as an argument that he could continue to perform at that level if put in the top line C role (though i don't think that's necessarily what you are saying).
That's really not true. He consistently faces the toughest competition on the team, toughest zone starts, etc. And he always ends up on the positive side of possession.

The only thing Backlund doesn't have is elite offence, but he is elite everywhere else.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #106
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He goes against the toughest competition while having hero chart ratings that label him as a competent 1st line Center or very good 2nd line Center.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #107
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
That's really not true. He consistently faces the toughest competition on the team, toughest zone starts, etc. And he always ends up on the positive side of possession.

The only thing Backlund doesn't have is elite offence, but he is elite everywhere else.
So i don't know what we mean by "elite" but the term that was used in the previous post was top line center. If a top line center has great possession/checking stats (zone starts, quality of competition) etc, but doesn't have top line production, i think that most fans would deem him a weak top line center, but a perfect 3rd line center. I absolutely agree that backlund is a top 3rd line center in the league ("elite" 3rd line center).

I guess what i'm saying is an elite 3rd line center doesn't mean he tranlsates well to a 1st line center.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #108
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So i don't know what we mean by "elite" but the term that was used in the previous post was top line center. If a top line center has great possession/checking stats (zone starts, quality of competition) etc, but doesn't have top line production, i think that most fans would deem him a weak top line center, but a perfect 3rd line center. I absolutely agree that backlund is a top 3rd line center in the league ("elite" 3rd line center).

I guess what i'm saying is an elite 3rd line center doesn't mean he tranlsates well to a 1st line center.
Do 2nd line Centers not exist in your world?

Backlund is the undisputed best 3rd line Center in the league if that's what you want to label him as.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #109
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Do 2nd line Centers not exist in your world?

Backlund is the undisputed best 3rd line Center in the league if that's what you want to label him as.
sorry, perhaps i'm lost on what exactly what we are discussing.

Fully agree that he's proving to be one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. How that translates in his ability to be a 1st line, or 2nd line center (both traditionally measured by ability to put points on the board) is up for debate, at least in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #110
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skian View Post
Monahan has a knack for knowing where to go in the O zone and a wicked wrist shot but has always been a floater. He's in no way comparable with Toews. Hopefully he'll learn to play with more energy and higher compete levels, but I doubt he'll ever change his style of play.

IMO Backlund is their best centre and finally came into his own toward the end of last season. He'd easily have eclipsed Monahan's point production last year, if he was on a line with Gaudreau and on the 1st PP unit.

I got a lot of flack for saying this last year, but I would have been shopping Monahan around at the deadline. His value was high, and I figured he'd want $6+ with term. Backlund is good enough to be #1, and Bennett is the centre I'd want to mould into a future #1.
Cool. What username did you say it under?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #111
skian
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The Flames went through a phase were it seemed they traded away youth to get older guys and it sucked. Now you wanna do that again??? Yikes.
Never said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Cool. What username did you say it under?
First time ever posting on here. This isn't the only place where people talk hockey.
skian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #112
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only thing I take comfort in regarding Monahan is that many other guys who just signed their first big deal are struggling around the league too. Barkov, Ekblad, MacKinnon to name a few.

Hopefully it is just the pressure affecting his play and he will get over the hump soon.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #113
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's being sheltered and still looking pretty weak. I just don't get it. Is he hiding an injury?

He's been one of the weakest forwards all season. Last night Gaudreau was dragging his corpse around the rink. Chiasson has sucked as well but he is showing effort. Monahan is a pylon out there.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #114
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
He's been one of the weakest forwards all season. Last night Gaudreau was dragging his corpse around the rink. Chiasson has sucked as well but he is showing effort. Monahan is a pylon out there.
I say this as one of Monahan's biggest critics.... last night was one of Monahan's better games, maybe his best of the season. He was quick in tight areas and hard on the puck. He killed a penalty or two well without being his usual passive self. He cleanly won faceoffs on the power play. He read the play in his own end and didn't get caught putting his teammates in bad positions.

Of all the games to criticize Monahan, last night wasn't one.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #115
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan: playing in slow motion with no emotion.

A one game healthy scratch might be in order. Something has to happen to kick start his season. If not that, something.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #116
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Scratch him. You have nothing to lose at this point.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #117
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sit him.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #118
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's playing like an Oiler. Pathetic effort and lack of emotion.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #119
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Watching some games from the pressbox might do Mony some good. It seemed to help Tkachuk when he was hurt.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #120
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really couldn't care less how much emotion he shows, showing it doesn't mean it's not there.

Flat out ugly nasty stretch of hockey though. Doubt it means he's sliding but development and becoming a top player rarely means a straight upward trajectory. Hopefully he figures it out soon. Gotta think once he gets the monkey off his back he'll get going.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post: