Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #81
FlamesFan68
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan isn't getting the space he used to get. I was watching a video of all the comebacks from a few years ago. The Flames had afterburner speed then. Young guys like Byron, Granlund, a shifty Hudler setting up goals and scoring goals. Schlemko was so very offensive and a real threat all the time too. We now have size and less room, we are a slower team. Be careful what you wish for.
FlamesFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFan68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #82
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan68 View Post
Monahan isn't getting the space he used to get. I was watching a video of all the comebacks from a few years ago. The Flames had afterburner speed then. Young guys like Byron, Granlund, a shifty Hudler setting up goals and scoring goals. Schlemko was so very offensive and a real threat all the time too. We now have size and less room, we are a slower team. Be careful what you wish for.
Yeah, I hate the size argument sometimes. Byron was a huge spark. Russell made some heroic shot blocks. Hudler was able to create double teams against him. The Flames are currently lacking all these qualities, and have gotten no more tougher or more truculent IMO
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #83
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

The flames seem to be lacking skill.... Backlund like skill and speed...
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #84
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
The flames seem to be lacking skill.... Backlund like skill and speed...
Canucks, Sharks, Kings and Anaheim all have fewer goal per game than Calgary.

Arizona has a miniscule advantage , as does Edmonton.

This is all happening with 3 key offensive cogs contributing very little to the Flames cause.

Lack of skill is not the problem, unless you are talking about some key highly skilled and paid players that are under performing.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #85
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Money looked dominant in the first, haven't seen much of that this season. Good to see.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #86
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

A buddy of mine put this in my head.

Nate MacKinnon is struggling in Colorado. How bout trading Mony for Mack to shake things up? Mack looked good with Johnny in the world cup.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #87
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post

Nate MacKinnon is struggling in Colorado. How bout trading Mony for Mack to shake things up? Mack looked good with Johnny in the world cup.
I had the same conversation with a buddy in the summer and I said I wouldn't make that trade but I'm starting to change my tune. I think I'd make that trade as I think the ceiling on Mackinnon may be higher but he's so inconsistent just like Monahan.

I think Monahan has a better shot but Mackinnon is faster and better defensively and can create offense on his own.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #88
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post

Nate MacKinnon is struggling in Colorado. How bout trading Mony for Mack to shake things up?
I have never not been in favour of a MacKinnon / Monahan swap. I'm on record for saying I'd add Klimchuk and Poirier every time, too.

But Colorado would still never do it for the same reason.

Quote:
Mack looked good with Johnny in the world cup.
However, he was playing RW. I do think Backlund would be a good C between those two though, if Bennett can become a true #1C. MacKinnon is a good centre, but he wasn't playing centre at the WC so expecting the exact same dynamic is optimistic.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-08-2016 at 11:13 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #89
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Av's wouldn't trade MacK for Monahan last year. They're definitely not going to do it now.

MacK's ceiling is very appealing but I wouldn't be so hyped on his couple games of chemistry with Gaudreau. Monahan has had 2 full seasons of amazing chemistry with Gaudreau and nothing to show for it this year.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #90
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Calgary just signs the guy to a long-term deal, that was very vocal about how happy he was to be here and now you want to trade him? CP is a complete joke these days, reminds me of HF. These pipedream proposals are laughable
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zyzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #91
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
Calgary just signs the guy to a long-term deal, that was very vocal about how happy he was to be here and now you want to trade him? CP is a complete joke these days, reminds me of HF. These pipedream proposals are laughable
Yup, Monahan isn't going anyway. The Avs would never trade Mack. It is getting tougher and tougher to read these threads these days.

I still don't have an answer to getting him back on track but I do like what someone posted the other day about how JG and Mony haven't had more than like 5 practices with the team to learn the systems properly and this could be having an affect on why things aren't quite working for them. The rest of the team seems to get it but our two stars needs to as well. Without them clicking we will continue to lose games. We need this line to produce and I hope over the new few games things begin to change, you can see that they might just have turned a corner, especially after a good 4 days of practicing together at home.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #92
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at Mark Scheifele.

18 months older than Monahan.

Had 9 points in his first 19 games last season. Also had questions about his skating in the past.

This year has 18 points in 14 games and looks like a star.

Be patient and give it some time - a bad start isn't the end of Monahan's career.

He needs to be better, and is a big part of the teams success, but this start doesn't mean he is a "bust".

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-09-2016 at 03:35 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #93
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

If anyone gets leeway it's the multiple 20 goal scoring 22 year old coming off a back injury and no training camp.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #94
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would do that swap in a heartbeat and add alot. Can u imagine Mackinnon with Gaudreau?
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #95
skian
Draft Pick

Default Backlund is a better Centre

Monahan has a knack for knowing where to go in the O zone and a wicked wrist shot but has always been a floater. He's in no way comparable with Toews. Hopefully he'll learn to play with more energy and higher compete levels, but I doubt he'll ever change his style of play.

IMO Backlund is their best centre and finally came into his own toward the end of last season. He'd easily have eclipsed Monahan's point production last year, if he was on a line with Gaudreau and on the 1st PP unit.

I got a lot of flack for saying this last year, but I would have been shopping Monahan around at the deadline. His value was high, and I figured he'd want $6+ with term. Backlund is good enough to be #1, and Bennett is the centre I'd want to mould into a future #1.

Last edited by skian; 11-10-2016 at 06:21 AM.
skian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #96
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

^No
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #97
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Backlund is not a #1 C.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #98
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is no floater
Old 11-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #99
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames went through a phase were it seemed they traded away youth to get older guys and it sucked. Now you wanna do that again??? Yikes.

I don't know what to make of it because the entire team is playing like crap but IMO Monahan is still a really really good young player. He may not turn into the #1 lots of us want him to but he's still really good. Backlund is a perfect #3 and if Monahan and Bennett can turn into top 2 C's then that's a really great middle. The way this season is going though, we might end up with a really good young center next year.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #100
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

"I doubt he'll ever change his style of play. We should have been shopping him at the deadline."

Referring to a 21 year old centre who already had a career total of 80 goals and 79 assists.

"He finally came into his own. He could even still be a #1 centre."

Referring to a 26 year old centre who had a career total of 72 goals and 103 assists.

...worst logic of the thread.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: