Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #3541
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since game 1 of the season we have almost identical records but you'd think with the way Oilers fans are gloating they were an elite team or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #3542
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
since Jan 1st the Oilers and Flames have essentially the exact same records (16-10-1 for the Oilers and 16-9-2 for the Flames)
And the Flames have gained 5 points on the Oilers in the last 10 games.
Arbitrary lines are arbitrary.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #3543
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
That was a horrible interview.
I loved the part where Spector was trying to argue that the Oilers are a more legitimate playoff team than the Flames because they've been more consistent over the season. Was disappointing that Kerr failed to bring up that the Flames have the 2nd best record in the NHL since the all-star break. I get being a professional, but when the other guy on the show is being a partisan troll, it's fair play to point out the holes in his argument.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #3544
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
That was a horrible interview.
I had to turn it off. Kerr is too polite but I could sense even he thought it was garbage.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #3545
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I loved the part where Spector was trying to argue that the Oilers are a more legitimate playoff team than the Flames because they've been more consistent over the season. Was disappointing that Kerr failed to bring up that the Flames have the 2nd best record in the NHL since the all-star break. I get being a professional, but when the other guy on the show is being a partisan troll, it's fair play to point out the holes in his argument.
The Penguins and Sharks were the model of consistency last season?

Oh Mark, don't be a buffoon.

Playoffs?

Speak not of what you know nothing about.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #3546
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They had him on 960 the other day, and they didn't call him on his Johnny BS nor the whole Edmonton so far ahead article.
Thanks Kerr.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #3547
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The Penguins and Sharks were the model of consistency last season?

Oh Mark, don't be a buffoon.

Playoffs?

Speak not of what you know nothing about.

Did he actually say that? Didn't the Penguins fire their coach 1/3 way through the season for lack of consistency?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #3548
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Thanks Kerr.
Too busy delivering his daily audio assault to ask questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #3549
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I had to turn it off. Kerr is too polite but I could sense even he thought it was garbage.
Spector is a buffoon, I had to turn it off

Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #3550
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Spector is such a complete ahole.
Edmonton is where Calgary is supposed to be right now?
WTF is that even a thought in his pea brain? That after 4 years the Flames rebuild should be now top 10 in the league, ahead of the Oilers 10 year rebuild? Or was drafting McDavid the start of the 4th iteration of the Oilers rebuild, so it is only 2 years in now?
#### I hate stupid people.
Really? Where are our 4 #1 Picks?

Until we have 4 First Overall picks the two teams cannot be compared.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #3551
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Where are our 4 #1 Picks?

Until we have 4 First Overall picks the two teams cannot be compared.
Technically the oilers have only 2 number 1 picks
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #3552
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think that Kerr might be conscientious as to what he says about the Oilers due to how they run to the NHL and Rogers management (i.e. Goala and there was another incident he mentioned recently). It just isn't worth the hassle sometimes.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #3553
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Technically the oilers have only 2 number 1 picks
On their roster. But they still got 4. They used 2 to, presumably, get better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #3554
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The best part about TSN now owning the Sports talk station is that we never hear Spector on the airwaves anymore. Granted that doesn't come close to making up for living as close to Edmonton as I do.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #3555
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

spector was on some hockey radio show here in toronto last week. He was announced as a western conference subject matter expert, yet knows absolutely nothing outside of the oilers.

when asked about the flames he said that they're doign well, and what a surprise backlund has been. how patient the flames have had to be with this former "top 10" pick .
Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #3556
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't get the chance to listen yesterday but heard Kerr and Steinberg talk about the Flames highs and lows and Spector said the big difference is the Oilers have been consistent where the flames have been up and down. M

The way I see it is the Oilers got off to a blistering start and have been fairly average since. They have lost a few but never really lost a place in the standings. They have gone on little winning streaks as well.

Flames had the nightmare start then the big run capped off by a 6 game winning streak into early December. They basically have been a wildcard team for 3 months spending a handful of days on the outside. They stumbled slightly back to .500 where they have taken off again on this 12-2-1 run to finally get a bit of separation in the wild card race and put themselves back in the divisional playoff race.

Oiler fans feel confident due to the season series they would handle us quite easily in the playoffs. Funny enough the 2 games in October and the 2 in January occurred during the 2 low points of the season. Would be interesting to see how those games would have gone in late November or February?

Knocking the Oilers out of the playoffs their first trip back in 11 years would be such sweet justice.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #3557
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I didn't get the chance to listen yesterday but heard Kerr and Steinberg talk about the Flames highs and lows and Spector said the big difference is the Oilers have been consistent where the flames have been up and down. M

The way I see it is the Oilers got off to a blistering start and have been fairly average since. They have lost a few but never really lost a place in the standings. They have gone on little winning streaks as well.

Flames had the nightmare start then the big run capped off by a 6 game winning streak into early December. They basically have been a wildcard team for 3 months spending a handful of days on the outside. They stumbled slightly back to .500 where they have taken off again on this 12-2-1 run to finally get a bit of separation in the wild card race and put themselves back in the divisional playoff race.

Oiler fans feel confident due to the season series they would handle us quite easily in the playoffs. Funny enough the 2 games in October and the 2 in January occurred during the 2 low points of the season. Would be interesting to see how those games would have gone in late November or February?

Knocking the Oilers out of the playoffs their first trip back in 11 years would be such sweet justice.
The Oilers have 2 players, Talbot and McDavid.

We got garbage goaltending for half a season. If our Goaltending was even league-average over that stretch it would be a different story.

But thats okay for now, we are still rebuilding.

We need a team. The Oilers need saviours.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #3558
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What kind of adversity have the Oilers faced this year? I don't think there's a lot. Injury wise, with the exception of Nurse they've been healthy. They've gotten stellar goaltending from Talbot. Their first line has been far and away the best thing on the club.

They've had a pretty favorable schedule.

You could argue that Eberle and RNH have had down seasons, but they've never been all that stellar anyways.

So I have to wonder about the mental toughness of that team if they face adversity, and that's what the playoffs are all about.

With the Flames, you look at this year

A major injury to the best player in their lineup
A drop back by their top line
Terrible goaltending and defense
Rumors of a major player having behind the dressing room door

And yet the Flames are in the mix and playing like anything bad don't mean nothin nothin.

If the Oilers face adversity, will they collapse?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #3559
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
like Peter Griffin down a flight of stairs, Captain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #3560
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What kind of adversity have the Oilers faced this year? I don't think there's a lot. Injury wise, with the exception of Nurse they've been healthy. They've gotten stellar goaltending from Talbot. Their first line has been far and away the best thing on the club.

They've had a pretty favorable schedule.

You could argue that Eberle and RNH have had down seasons, but they've never been all that stellar anyways.

So I have to wonder about the mental toughness of that team if they face adversity, and that's what the playoffs are all about.

With the Flames, you look at this year

A major injury to the best player in their lineup
A drop back by their top line
Terrible goaltending and defense
Rumors of a major player having behind the dressing room door

And yet the Flames are in the mix and playing like anything bad don't mean nothin nothin.

Very likely. Also, most of these young Oiler players have never been to the playoffs and have no idea how intense it is. The Flames on the other hand have had a taste of it already and even won a round. I'd say the young Flames core has a pretty good idea of what it's gonna take to win games in the post season after that first experience, and I think they'll be even better prepared this time.

The Oilers on the other hand are in for a big wake up call in round 1. The difference in tempo and intensity of the games is night and day from the regular season, and they won't be facing any tired teams on the 2nd half of a back-to-back. No matter who they face, they'll be gone in 5 or 6 games. Talbot and McDoofus can only do so much.
Closed Thread