Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Nokia 1020 Lumia question

Anyone have one? I've been leaning toward the 5s, currently have a 4, but I like the idea of the better camera. Is it really as good as they advertise? The camera on my 4 is absolute crap imo, and my phone is my only camera. Other than that I text, surf, and email so pretty sure any phone will do for that. Thoughts and advice?

TY
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't really say much about it personally though that is one of the devices you have to have for yourself to try and see.

Otherwise if you haven't seen this yet:
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hear ya, problem is with phones, try for yourself is a 2 year commitment.

Edit: Just watched the video posted. Great review. Knowing nothing about windows phones I have more research to do. Haha

Last edited by speede5; 10-22-2013 at 11:03 AM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got to finally see the 1020 up close and personal in Las Colinas. The photo quality is just sick. I'm tempted to trade up.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought one Monday. The camera has the potential to be awesome so long as you put in the time to learn how to tweak the shutter speed, ISO, focal depth.

I'm just touching the surface, but even still the pics are better than any phone I've seen.

Other than the camera, I can say it's very fast and responsive, and I like the OS, but don't expect to be able to find all of the cool apps your iOS and Android friends have. Also, if you run Windows on your other machines, the SkyDrive integration is great.

If anyone has any specific questions, ask away.

Last edited by Mike F; 10-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle14767056/

i have a 920 and it is the best phone that i have ever used. i really like the operating system, and having the office suite right there is really good if it is a work device. there is a lot to like about the hardware and software. i realize that sounds a bit fanboi-ish so my recommendation would be to determine if the features are ones that you need.

that link is an article in the globe where a photojournalist uses the phone as his camera.

if that is the way that you are going, i would also recommend that you have a look at the grip which adds battery and makes the phone a true point and click.

i just want to mention that nokia maps is easily the best mapping software that i have ever used. it even has a really cool speed limit that is accurate for the actual road that you are on...and beeps when you speed over the amount that you set. very cool.