Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New Appliances good places to buy

So with building a new house comes buying new appliances. I'm going to forego all the Lethbridge stores because they just don't have the selection.

Any suggestion on where the best places to buy in Calgary are? (selection, sales, service, etc.)
return to the red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

we had good luck at sears when we got ours.. We do know someone at the store here so that does help
TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trail is really the big gun in town, particularly if you want the mid to high end brands. I found Sears could GET me the stuff I wanted but they were absolutely resolute in NOT giving me a package deal, despite I was dropping about $10K with them. They would only match a price, not give me a deal - why would I screw over another person who's worked to cut me a deal? Apparently it's a directive from head office - something about a competition bureau ruling.

Great service by Trail - their delivery guys gouged my wall - I sent photos and they comped me an acceptable amount in cash, with no haggling.

Coast Appliances is the other major store, but I found the brands I wanted were not carried by them.

Check Consumers Reports for reliability ratings - you'll find different manufacturers have different ratings by type of appliance, it's interesting.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 01-12-2007 at 10:36 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
greatbigC
Farm Team Player

Exp:

We also just bought new appliances at Sears. After research they seemed to have about the best bang for your buck. Sears also has a great reputation for standing behind their products.
greatbigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found the prices with coast were the best.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

When you call- ask for the comercial sales department. If somebody calls you on it, say that your realtor told you to ask for somebody in the comercial depatment; but you don't remember who you were supposed to ask for.

Many times you will get the builders price instead of retail.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
When you call- ask for the comercial sales department. If somebody calls you on it, say that your realtor told you to ask for somebody in the comercial depatment; but you don't remember who you were supposed to ask for.

Many times you will get the builders price instead of retail.
where is this at?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had great dealings with Trail, decent deals (I was buying with cash though), good delivery, and great follow up service.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should talk to Jiggy_12 he works at Trail. Maybe he has a CP discount!
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
Coelah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
So with building a new house comes buying new appliances. I'm going to forego all the Lethbridge stores because they just don't have the selection.

Any suggestion on where the best places to buy in Calgary are? (selection, sales, service, etc.)
What kind of appliances are you looking for and at what price?

I've got a Maytag Epic front load washer/dryer set for sale. Never been used and the warranty is still available. Worth about $2700 new, I've been asking $2400.
Coelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
You should talk to Jiggy_12 he works at Trail. Maybe he has a CP discount!
Sure...PM me your details if interested.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Sure...PM me your details if interested.
thanks for the offer, when we get closer to buying I will be sure to get in touch
Old 01-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbigC View Post
We also just bought new appliances at Sears. After research they seemed to have about the best bang for your buck. Sears also has a great reputation for standing behind their products.
I second this. I did a lot of research as well and was pretty surprised to find Sears (specifically the Kenmore brand) at the top of the pack. But I've had all Kenmore stuff (fridge, dishwasher, washer, dryer, stove) for a year and a half now, and have been happy with them.

I don't know if you have Sears Warehouse stores in Calgary like they do here in Montreal, but I'd recommend one if they do. Its the type of place that sells last years models, returns, or refurbished models. I ended up buying the previous years model of everything I needed which was about 30% cheaper than buying at the normal Sears store, plus I managed to get 30% off since I bought 5 appliances all in one shot.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I
I don't know if you have Sears Warehouse stores in Calgary like they do here in Montreal, but I'd recommend one if they do. Its the type of place that sells last years models, returns, or refurbished models. I ended up buying the previous years model of everything I needed which was about 30% cheaper than buying at the normal Sears store, plus I managed to get 30% off since I bought 5 appliances all in one shot.

I think the Sears in Deefoot mall is a Sears Warehouse store.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we purchased our new home, we went through Coast Appliances.
http://www.coastappliances.com/

Nothing but good stuff to say about these guys.

We got our fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer through them.

Competitive prices and friendly staff.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the market for a new fridge & stove. The fridge is being held together by duct tape on one of the shelves. The stove NEVER had any of the lights to indicate any of the elements are on.

My only consideration is to wait until I redo the kitchen floor (something that we've hummed and hawed about) or just replace the stuff that has been on its last legs for a few years.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #17
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think the Kenmore stuff is usually made by either Fridgedaire or Whirpool. I bought a Kenmore fridge like 2 years ago and Sears was actually decent to deal with. Guy told me that it was going on sale on the following Saturday but I needed to order it that day so that it would arrive in time for my move. They did the order and had me reimbursed on the Saturday so I could have it for pickup when I needed it. They also came out and replaced a plastic thing that broke in the ice crusher under warranty with no hassle.

The appliances all have similar traits that you can use to compare the Kenmore to the name stuff. But if you're building not a bad idea to try and use the builder to negotiate with a place like Trail to get builders prices. Or get in touch with the CP connection for a deal.

I once had Trail from Red Deer deliver a chest freezer to a house I lived at and the Delivery guys were useless. I went in the truck and grabbed the thing and carried it into the garage myself because I didn't want to hear how they'd spend 2 hours cruising the beach at Sylvan before bringing the freezer to me.

Fridge and stove move aroudn easily enough that you can replace flooring and have the new ones. I just redid the floors in my house. Even the dishwasher can be worked around without too much trouble.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #18
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of Kenmores stuff is made by whirlpool and LG as well. In addition, there are some GE products made by LG too.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is certainly an ancient post bump but when I googled good places to buy appliances to Calgary this thread came up first hit.

I just got my mortgage approved and my house building process started (hurrah!). So my house will be ready for me in 5-6 months. Should I buy my appliances from the builder? Get them at a place like trail, sears or brick? I plan on getting fancy samsung appliances, I dont want to cheap out on them. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whatever you do try to haggle. A lot of the people selling are on commission and will fake a price match just to get you to buy off of them. At least that's what the future shop guy did for me.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post: