Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You should watch the documentary 'Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead'.
Its a documentary about two men's transformations after deciding to go on a juice cleanse for 60 - 90 days.

I have bought a juicer and the first time I drank Lettuce, Spinach, Broccoli, Lemon, Cucumber - I never felt more energized in my life.

You dont have to do this permanently but if you can incorporate a juice blend of green hearty vegetables every other day I think it will be great for your health and vitality.
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stLand For This Useful Post:
Kev
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The biggest hassle is cleaning the juicer after you are finished using it. It's a cumbersome process. Thats probably why I dont juice every day. But the taste can be quite good. I like to incoporate ginger root in all of my blends. It's almost like drinking a caesar.
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://thatyossarian.hubpages.com/hu...-Juice-Fasting

Detox diets have recently gained increased attention due to the popularity of the feature-length documentary “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.” This film (written, directed, and starring Joe Cross), chronicles his inspirational weight-loss story as he uses a juice-fast to meet his weight loss goals and recover from an autoimmune disease called urticaria. The transformational journey captured in this film is truly remarkable, but it also raises a question as to whether there is sufficient scientific evidence to support a juice-cleanse diet for the majority of people.

The evidence to support clear health benefits of a completely juice-based diet in humans is lacking. Instead, why not consider integrating antioxidant rich juices into a balanced diet that also contains whole grains, nuts, dairy products, and lean meats? Any potential health benefits from juice can surely be gained from a balanced diet without the need for an extreme fasting regimen that is a component of the most popular “cleanses” today.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
You should watch the documentary 'Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead'.
Its a documentary about two men's transformations after deciding to go on a juice cleanse for 60 - 90 days.

I have bought a juicer and the first time I drank Lettuce, Spinach, Broccoli, Lemon, Cucumber - I never felt more energized in my life.

You dont have to do this permanently but if you can incorporate a juice blend of green hearty vegetables every other day I think it will be great for your health and vitality.
That's why I brought the thread up, actually. My idea was to blend one juice drink a day but I was curious about the effects of a fast.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I find an immersion blender is the handiest and easiest to clean tool for making smoothies etc. The bottom detaches from the handle so you just rinse it under the tap when your done. I also use it for cold soups (from raw veggies)and other things.

http://www.woyano.com/hand-immersion-blender/

Last edited by drhu22; 04-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #27
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A major benefit of vegetables is the roughage they supply. You don't get roughage when you blend something to juice.
I am thinking you probably meant to word this somewhat differently.

Blending does not destroy the fiber in fruits and vegetables. If anything, it breaks it down so the absorption of nutrients in the food becomes more enhanced.

Juicing however does remove the fiber or roughage.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #28
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #29
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I take Greens+ every morning. First thing I do when I wake up.
Worst case, I get an extra glass of water a day. Best case, I get all the benefits it advertises.
I can tell you that if I go a week without it, the next time I have it I can feel a boost. Also, while it may taste bad at first, you will gradually start to like it as your body learns how good it is for you.

A professional athlete friend of mine says it is the most important vitamin he takes.

Try the mandarin one. I think it tastes the best. You can mix with half water/half OJ to further improve the taste.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Worst case, I get an extra glass of water a day. Best case, I get all the benefits it advertises.
I can tell you that if I go a week without it, the next time I have it I can feel a boost. Also, while it may taste bad at first, you will gradually start to like it as your body learns how good it is for you.

A professional athlete friend of mine says it is the most important vitamin he takes.

Try the mandarin one. I think it tastes the best. You can mix with half water/half OJ to further improve the taste.
I heard it tasted awful, like crazy awful, from people who aren't picky at all and eat anything. Maybe some flavors are worse than others. If it's only one drink (is it 250 ml?) a day I think I could handle it. It's not like protein powders taste divine, themselves.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.csicop.org/specialarticle...s_over_knives/

Forks Over Knives presents the audience with the argument that a whole-foods, plant-based diet with no meat or animal products or refined foods is the way to a long, healthy, cancer-resistant, and heart-disease-free life. Forks Over Knives plays like a 1950s governmental instructional video, makes basic reasoning mistakes, and discredits itself by touting examples that no skeptical audience can take seriously.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I agree that both Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and Forks over Knives are both pseudo-scientific documentaries that make dubious claims.

There are however a number of studies from accredited academic sources that show even minor intake of red meat seems to correlate to an increase the rate of mortality.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/pre...mortality.html
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forks Over Knives was awful. It felt like I was watching the book "In Defense of Food" in movie format. Baseless tripe.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Forks Over Knives was awful. It felt like I was watching the book "In Defense of Food" in movie format. Baseless tripe.
Just curious how the claims in Forks over Knives were "baseless"? I watched it, and it seemed to have a lot of evidence and studies to support the claims.

The movie doesn't even need the studies and experiments contained in it to prove the point. There's enough real life case studies like Joe Cross and so many others that show the evidence.

Anyways, because of this thread I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and Forks over Knives, and both were extremely educational. So thanks to the posters who mentioned them in this thread.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The movie doesn't even need the studies and experiments contained in it to prove the point. There's enough real life case studies like Joe Cross and so many others that show the evidence.
Science can't be based on anecdotal evidence.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post

Or the Natural Cappuccino greens+ extra energy. First greens that actually tastes ok imo. Forgot my greens on a recent trip and I completely agree.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #37
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No, but I've seen enough to make me believe there is some, if not a lot of truth there. Scientific evidence doesn't just happen, it needs a starting point.

I guess I'll have to try it myself. And as much as that would fall under anecdotal evidence, there would be no more powerful evidence than that for me. Kind of ironic really.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #38
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
No, but I've seen enough to make me believe there is some, if not a lot of truth there. Scientific evidence doesn't just happen, it needs a starting point.

I guess I'll have to try it myself. And as much as that would fall under anecdotal evidence, there would be no more powerful evidence than that for me. Kind of ironic really.
I have relatives who use that as proof of the existence of God. Invalid causal connections by correllating coincidences with personal biases and assumptions.

If we used that as our yardstick for scientific proof, then I could make any claim I wanted to, and as long as it worked for me, I could claim it to be so. Thankfully, science doesn't work like that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Actually, what I was saying was that all scientific evidence starts as theory at some point, and that I've seen enough results to make me believe there's some truth to it.

And that if I, and other people could replicate the results, that's a pretty powerful form of proof for me, not that it was scientific fact.

Last edited by Kev; 04-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #40
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The sad irony being that 90% of nutritional 'science' is based on epidemiological studies .... ie. anecdotal evidence on a grand scale.

I'll take my n=1 experiences over industry funded 'science' any day.