Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #161
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton will match any offer sheet for Draisaitl, so what's the point?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #162
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
To #### with the Oilers isn't enough?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #163
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if the Preds do something crazy if they lose Neal.

If they could lock up Johansen and Arvidsson first for decent value they would probably have enough cap space to go after somebody like Draisaitl to push them over the top.

That is a team that could easily give up the 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a third if Draisaitl was available.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #164
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Puts them in cap hell at the least!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #165
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Wonder if the Preds do something crazy if they lose Neal.

If they could lock up Johansen and Arvidsson first for decent value they would probably have enough cap space to go after somebody like Draisaitl to push them over the top.

That is a team that could easily give up the 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a third if Draisaitl was available.
I really hope there is a deal in place for Flames to get Neal and Vegas to get Brouwer... might even consider trading the 16th overall for that deal

Vegas takes Neal

Brouwer+16th Overall for James Neal
Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #166
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I really hope there is a deal in place for Flames to get Neal and Vegas to get Brouwer... might even consider trading the 16th overall for that deal

Vegas takes Neal

Seems like a lot to pay for a guy who will be a UFA soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #167
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
To #### with the Oilers of course! Of course they'll match... but it'd suck extra cap space off their ledger and make signing other guys harder. I mean they sign McDavid for whatever McDavid wants but that means they have to forgo other upgrades for lack of cap space.

But the NHL is to much of a colluding good ol' boys club so that won't happen.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #168
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Vegas takes Neal

I would rather keep the pick and Brouwer, we need that First round pick to take a solid player or trade down to get a later First round pick and 2nd rounder.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #169
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With or without a offer sheet, the Oilers are going to be in cap hell. They're going to be out of the free agent game for a while.

Frankly the expectation that the Vegas Knights are going to solve their cap problems is ludicris, they're not taking every teams problem contract, so in training camp, Poulliot will still be there skating up and down his wing as a large black hole of suck so dense that light itself cannot escape his surface.

Frankly, last season might have just been the apex of this rebuild of the Oilers as they suddenly are going to have to start dumping depth to stay within the cap confines.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #170
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem with offer sheets on players of Drasaitl's calibre of player is it takes an almost perfect scenario for a team to even offer one. All of the following need to happen

1. You have to either be a good team or an up coming team that is a lock for the playoffs adding a guy like Dra
2. You have to have enough cap space or the flexibility to create enough space if you get the player
3. You can't put your self in a similar cap situation as the Oilers are within the next 2-3 years at minimum
4. The player needs to want to sign with your team

For me their maybe be a few teams that have the space, have a farm full of good prospects and are on the rise or a team good enough that has some cap space. I do think the Flames would be in this group. Maybe Nashville, San Jose, Dallas, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Toronto or Carolina.

All those teams could fit him in with some tweaks to their roster but half of them wouldn't be overly appealing to Dra to leave Edmonton. Best bets would be San Jose, Toronto or Nashville. Oilers would match anything they offer too

Last edited by Macho0978; 06-19-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Forgot a team
Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #171
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how high you'd have to go before the Oilers didn't match a Draisaitl offer sheet?

The obvious comparable for him is Tarasenko.

Tarasenko's ELC:
  • Regular Season: 179 GP || 66 G / 69 A / 135 P
  • Playoffs: 13 GP || 10 G / 1 A / 11 P

Draisaitl's ELC:
  • Regular Season: 191 GP || 50 G / 87 A / 137 P
  • Playoffs: 13 GP || 6 G / 10 A / 16 P

Two years ago, Tarasenko signed his second contract, which was 8 years with a $7.5 million cap hit. That was 10.5% of the $71.4 million cap.

With the cap going up to $75 million, a similar deal for Draisaitl would come out to $7.88 million.

A five year contract would get him to UFA status as quickly as possible, and it would keep the compensation as low as possible (any term longer than 5 years gets averaged to 5 years for compensation).

You'd probably have to go over $8.5 million before Chia started to hesitate to match the offer.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #172
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vegas takes Neal

I'd love to add Neal, but I don't like that deal personally.

If we deal 16th OA, I don't want the value of that asset dragged down by having Brouwer attached to it, and I also don't want it dealt for a 30+ asset who even if extended will see him as a Flame for maybe the last 5 years of his career, which would likely be the least productive of his career.

I'd rather the Flames swing for the fence with 16 OA, where if they connect that player will be just 22/23 years old 5 years from now.

If they do deal it for a player, I'd much prefer it be an impact player who is 25 or under if a forward, 27 or under if a Dman.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #173
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'd love to add Neal, but I don't like that deal personally.

If we deal 16th OA, I don't want the value of that asset dragged down by having Brouwer attached to it, and I also don't want it dealt for a 30+ asset who even if extended will see him as a Flame for maybe the last 5 years of his career, which would likely be the least productive of his career.

I'd rather the Flames swing for the fence with 16 OA, where if they connect that player will be just 22/23 years old 5 years from now.

If they do deal it for a player, I'd much prefer it be an impact player who is 25 or under if a forward, 27 or under if a Dman.

That is a fair point. Personally, I just don't have too much faith that we are going to get an impact player at 16th.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #174
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
George McPhee has told NHL teams that today is the last day they'll complete a trade to protect their players.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #175
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
George McPhee has told NHL teams that today is the last day they'll complete a trade to protect their players.
Artificial deadline

I'm sure he would take a last minute deal that improved his club
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #176
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Artificial deadline

I wouldn't be so sure about that. GMs have to stand by their word, it impacts how teams do business with them. Go back to when we said we wouldn't move Cammy unless we got something worthwhile - and we didn't move him. I'd say it's safe to say that move played into the next two trade deadlines with Glencross/Russell/Hudler.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a GM's word, it's worth a lot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #177
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Artificial deadline

Hahah this. he sounds like a fantasy football gm.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #178
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Artificial deadline

Probably. But the deadline makes sense. There are so many moving parts and the expansion process is complicated. They can't leave everything to the last minute as it could all crumble. They need some certainty in the majority of their picks ahead of time in order to make proper decisions.

Smart move by McPhee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #179
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point you have to decide who you are picking and trades would affect that. You can't just decide 5 mins before the deadline because a trade will affect who you take which then means you might have to take someone else etc..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #180
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. GMs have to stand by their word, it impacts how teams do business with them. Go back to when we said we wouldn't move Cammy unless we got something worthwhile - and we didn't move him. I'd say it's safe to say that move played into the next two trade deadlines with Glencross/Russell/Hudler.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a GM's word, it's worth a lot.
I agree with you. Business people that don't stand behind what they say quickly run out of people willing to do business with them.
Closed Thread