Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Where would you like the Flames to go with their jerseys?
Keep with the existing set 9 2.34%
go back to vintage home and away 229 59.48%
go back to 2004 home and away 26 6.75%
minor tweak to the existing set (piping, flags) 40 10.39%
new design that adds black to the retro look 36 9.35%
completely new design 39 10.13%
other (elaborate) 6 1.56%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #701
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The blue clashes and to be honest the Alberta flag isn't even that nice. Also, the jerseys technically feature 3 flags with the flag of England in the Alberta crest. The Flames created a beautiful shoulder patch on the recent thirds that captured the essence of the Alberta flag while incorporating a Flames touch and colour scheme. It boggles the mind why they didn't go with this on the new jerseys.

The only reason I can think of that anyone likes the flags on the jersey is nationalism in the belief that Alberta is amazing and its' flag should be plastered everywhere.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #702
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So disappointing. I can't believe they actually showcased the Alberta patch in the teaser like they think it's a draw for us. Do the Flames do any marketing research at all before they draw up these things? How can a design team be so out of touch with its own fanbase?

And for how finicky and minute detailed we can be about changes we want, I love the irony of the one confirmed change they made its one thing none of us ever once mentioned in 3 years of these threads: turning off the italics on the name bar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #703
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The oldest rink, most outdated jerseys, and demand for public dollars in building new facilities really shows how taken for granted the fans are by ownership. Lame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #704
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

First, glad the font or at least the italics are gone. This was the last style vestige of the terrible pedestal jerseys and is now gone.

My guess is that the reason the changes will be minor is for the next update. Who knows the ins and outs of the Adidas contract with the league, but with no thirds for at least this season, there may well be a clause saying they teams have to keep a certain look for x amount of years. With some minor changes like the font and an Adidas logo,it sets the Flames up for the ability to do a more major change when the new rink gets built in the next 5 years and new uniforms for that, as opposed to a big change now preventing them from doing a drastic change again in the next set.

Owners felt strongly about the flags when they debuted. Likely feel the same way now. The original idea was to have just the maple leaf and the Alberta coat of arms and not the entire flag as patches, but the Flag Rules say you're not allowed to hack up the flag like that in this scenario, so they went with the entire flag.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #705
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
First, glad the font or at least the italics are gone. This was the last style vestige of the terrible pedestal jerseys and is now gone.

My guess is that the reason the changes will be minor is for the next update. Who knows the ins and outs of the Adidas contract with the league, but with no thirds for at least this season, there may well be a clause saying they teams have to keep a certain look for x amount of years. With some minor changes like the font and an Adidas logo,it sets the Flames up for the ability to do a more major change when the new rink gets built in the next 5 years and new uniforms for that, as opposed to a big change now preventing them from doing a drastic change again in the next set.

Owners felt strongly about the flags when they debuted. Likely feel the same way now. The original idea was to have just the maple leaf and the Alberta coat of arms and not the entire flag as patches, but the Flag Rules say you're not allowed to hack up the flag like that in this scenario, so they went with the entire flag.
The owners likely feel as strongly as they did because the province of Alberta and it's black gold sqishy dinosaurs made them a gagillion dollars.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #706
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
The owners likely feel as strongly as they did because the province of Alberta and it's black gold sqishy dinosaurs made them a gagillion dollars.
If they felt that way you think they would choose to pay tax here
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #707
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames owners are so set on having people know the team plays in Alberta they should re-name the team the Alberta Canada Flames of Calgary and change the logo to a flaming A followed by two flaming Cs.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #708
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
And I feel that if they were allowed to do that, it actually would look pretty cool. But they can't, so don't bother since the alternative doesn't go well with the jersey at all.

They've made a neat looking alternate logo that I'm a little surprised they didn't opt for that as a minor tweak, that'll be a subtle enough change cleaning up the look that consumers would be more tempted to buy the jerseys. You figure they would want to put some more use to it since they're done with the cowboy thirds.

The last thing to see is if the piping looks the same, and I'm expecting to at this point. As mentioned, I guess they feel they would make the most amount of money but riding out the current set for a bit longer until they make a prominent change down the road. If the Flames made the minor tweaks that fans here are calling for, the jerseys would actually look fairly different rather than slight tweaks. A fair amount would likely purchase them. And then to release a new set within the next three years (in line with a new arena as browna said above), they may think it's too close together that'll cannibalize sales on the new sets.

I guess it make sense, but I dislike the look of the current jerseys so much that I've run out of patience on them, and want a new look now, rather than later. And I could argue that Flames are actually leaving money on the table by not making a refreshed jersey now, and then a brand new jersey (updated retros or whatever) in the near future. This market is strong enough that'll it'll buy jerseys like candies; especially if the Flames start yielding good on ice results.

Last edited by Joborule; 06-19-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #709
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The oldest rink, most outdated jerseys, and demand for public dollars in building new facilities really shows how taken for granted the fans are by ownership. Lame.
And the whole predicament is entirely self-inflicted by the organization. Not the city/fans. Putting old boys that are so out of tune with the modern world and who have no idea how to gauge the public nor speak to it in charge of the team's public relations and image. And not to mention not an iota of sense for good design, which is even more astounding when you realize that they could ask literally anyone else outside their office for ways to make their jerseys substantially more appealing.

Why
so
stupid.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #710
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's like when kids can't decide what they want to be for Halloween, so they decide to be a little bit of everything.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #711
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If they felt that way you think they would choose to pay tax here
I suspect Murray Edwards will be back in about 700 days when Rachel Notley becomes a footnote in Alberta history.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #712
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I suspect Murray Edwards will be back in about 700 days when Rachel Notley becomes a footnote in Alberta history.
Poor Murray Edwards. He's the real victim on all of this.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #713
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Poor Murray Edwards. He's the real victim on all of this.
No the real victims are the folks that foolishly voted for her.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #714
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

the reaction is deserved, and so, so hilarious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #715
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's settled then, these ugly Flames jerseys are all Rachel Notley's fault!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #716
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Wasn't the Johnny Canuck lumberjack logo already on their shoulder patches though? If they had it on the shoulders, wouldn't they own the copyright?
they did have the 'v/head' logo on the shoulder of their thirds (added for the 2008 season)

i was referring to the entire lumberjack logo - not just his head. and they wanted that on their primary jerseys starting when rbk took over making the jerseys

the rbk jerseys came out in the 07/08 season
they added the third for the 08/09 season

maybe they weren't allowed to change their primaries (yet again) after they bought the logo/paid for the use of it
Old 06-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #717
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

thought i'd drop this in here.... i can now get the wordmark thirds blank, so why not see it with a white 'c'....

it's not perfect... but there is no piping or flags. i'd love to be able to change the 'yoke' on the black shoulders.... just go straight across, but whatever.

i think it would look good with the third shoulder patches but it also looks fine with out any shoulder logo.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #718
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh f***ing stupid flags again. It's like a sliver in my eyeball looking at these ugly ass jerseys. I like how they advertise it like it's a good thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #719
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Ugh f***ing stupid flags again. It's like a sliver in my eyeball looking at these ugly ass jerseys. I like how they advertise it like it's a good thing.
I guess when you sylize it, you can make anything look cool...

Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #720
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Was there ever any official statement regarding the wordmark alternates (circa 2013 to 2016)? Or did they just die a quiet death never to be spoken of again?

I'm assuming part of the reason they're gone is that they didn't sell and therefore were not continued; also, the decision to use the retro as the official alternate jersey last year would have contributed as well. Maybe the retros didn't sell very well last year (compared to the regular home jerseys) and therefore the Flames saw fit to maintain status quo?
I hope they didn't base the fanbase reaction on an alternate jersey.

A lot of casual fans just want whatever the primary is so they're not buying a jersey every 2 years.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread