Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #101
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Really? Do you think the Leafs wish they had got Elliott instead of Fredrik Andersen?
Andersson was traded for the #30 pick in 2016 and a second round pick in this year's draft. Last year the Flames had the #6, 35, 54, 56, 66, 96, 126, 166, 186 and all their 2017 draft picks at the time of the trade. I suspect that if they were in on a deal for Fredrik Andersson they were unwilling to move the #6 pick, and division-rival Anaheim was not as keen on their package (2016 #35 + 2017 2nd round pick?) as they were on Toronto's (2016 #30 + 2017 2nd round pick).

So, my point stands. The acquisition cost in this case was probably more than Treliving could afford to spend in a trade for Andersson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #102
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Honestly feel like the Flames would do that. The goaltending problem is one that they need to address.

They do not want goaltending to be the problem on this team any longer after it has been the past 2 season with 5 different guys (Ramo, Hiller, Ortio, Johnson and Elliott).

Pay the price for a young solid #1 and move on.

Hopefully if it comes down to that Jankowski can fill the role at #3C.
Fair. I was interested in seeing opinions once Bennett's name was thrown in the mix.
I actually think it would take Bennett + but then again I see no reason why the Pens would move Murray at all.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #103
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
What if the price was Sam Bennett?
In a heartbeat. Murray is a proven starting young goalie with a good contract. Bennett still may pan out. But right now he's a third line centre on a team with solid players and prospects at centre. And going forward, it'll be way easier to bring in other centres through the draft or via trade or FA signings than a starting goalie.

Sure it would sting if Pittsburgh plays Bennett with Crosby or Malkin and he lights it up, or if he centres a third line with Kessell and has success that way. But the Flames need a goalie badly.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #104
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
What if the price was Sam Bennett?
Ew. No.

Thankfully this will never happen.

Last edited by Love; 05-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #105
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Ew. No.

Thankfully this will never happen.
You wouldn't?

Sure it'd suck if Bennett lights it up with the Pens, but I see a goalie of that quality way more beneficial to Calgary than Bannett.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #106
RandyMarsh
Draft Pick

Goobauer plus Johnson, let them fight it out
RandyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #107
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett for Murray? Yes please. Bennett is horrible and won't amount to anything more than a true third line C. Don't bash me, just my opinion, I've already given up on him. Waste of 4th overall. F you Oilers for taking Draisaitl before us! But if that 4th overall turns into the goalie of our present AND future? Yes please. Then Gillies and Parsons can be used as trade bait in the future.
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AT77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #108
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't believe there's even talk about trading any one of our young core players for a goaltender. The Flames have numerous prospects in goal especially Tyler Parsons who could very well be one of the best prospects out there.

The Flames just need a reliable stop gap, someone above average who's more consistent then Elliott and Johnson. They don't need to create a hole to plug another one when they might have the answer they're looking for as soon as next next season.

I would prefer not to trade away any more assets or trap ourselves with another brutal contract for just a stopgap solution. Keep our young kids, continue to add depth and find a goaltender who isn't prone to soul crushing softies. Surely someone is out there.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #109
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Bennett for Murray? Yes please. Bennett is horrible and won't amount to anything more than a true third line C. Don't bash me, just my opinion, I've already given up on him. Waste of 4th overall. F you Oilers for taking Draisaitl before us! But if that 4th overall turns into the goalie of our present AND future? Yes please. Then Gillies and Parsons can be used as trade bait in the future.
is that you guubar?? or whatever.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #110
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Can't believe there's even talk about trading any one of our young core players for a goaltender. The Flames have numerous prospects in goal especially Tyler Parsons who could very well be one of the best prospects out there.

The Flames just need a reliable stop gap, someone above average who's more consistent then Elliott and Johnson. They don't need to create a hole to plug another one when they might have the answer they're looking for as soon as next next season.

I would prefer not to trade away any more assets or trap ourselves with another brutal contract for just a stopgap solution. Keep our young kids, continue to add depth and find a goaltender who isn't prone to soul crushing softies. Surely someone is out there.
And when the very likely scenario of none of our goal prospects panning out happens, then what? Jump from stop gap to stop gap?

Get good goaltending, if a prospect pushes in a few years that's a fantastic problem to have, not one that should be purposely avoided
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #111
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett for Murray? Yes please. Bennett is horrible and won't amount to anything more than a true third line C. Don't bash me, just my opinion, I've already given up on him. Waste of 4th overall...
Bennett had a higher scoring rookie season than Sean Monahan, he was one of the Flames consistently best forwards in the playoffs, and he has not yet turned 21-years-old. He is presently 9th in scoring in his draft year after having a disappointing season. It is far, FAR too early to give up on Sam Bennett.

Quote:
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #112
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
is that you guubar?? or whatever.
Lol nah, I just don't like Bennett, that's all.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #113
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Bennett had a higher scoring rookie season than Sean Monahan, he was one of the Flames consistently best forwards in the playoffs, and he has not yet turned 21-years-old. He is presently 9th in scoring in his draft year after having a disappointing season. It is far, FAR too early to give up on Sam Bennett.
Exactly, not sure posters have to jump from extreme absolute to extreme absolute on this site all the time. Yes, Bennett for Murray would be a trade that the Flames should jump all over if it was available, but no that doesn't mean Bennett is a bust and now sucks.

In fact if that was the case then Bennett for Murray wouldn't even be a realistic trade from Pitssburgh's end. Bennett's still a young fourth overall pick with a huge, albeit slightly lowered from draft day, ceiling.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #114
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Consistently one of the best forwards in the playoffs? He scored 2 goals, one of which went off his damn skate, his toe for god sakes. But regardless, yes a goal is a goal. He did create some chances, but also made some bad defensive decisions. I just think he looked so lost in the regular season, like Nail Yakupov lost. And that's the most lost you can look.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #115
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Consistently one of the best forwards in the playoffs? He scored 2 goals, one of which went off his damn skate, his toe for god sakes. But regardless, yes a goal is a goal. He did create some chances, but also made some bad defensive decisions. I just think he looked so lost in the regular season, like Nail Yakupov lost. And that's the most lost you can look.
He looked lost because management made a decision to take the long road and develop him into a two way, centre, which would make him an extremely valuable asset in the future.

They could have placed him in a top six winger role if they wanted earlier return on their investment and we'd likely be talking about a 50+ point season. And they can and may still do that and at that point he'll probably loosen up and score lots of points. You can clearly see the natural ability in the player.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #116
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Consistently one of the best forwards in the playoffs? He scored 2 goals, one of which went off his damn skate, his toe for god sakes. But regardless, yes a goal is a goal. He did create some chances, but also made some bad defensive decision. I just think he looked so lost in the regular season, like Nail Yakupov lost. And that's the most lost you can look.
He's 20. I was also disappointed in how Bennett's season unfolded, but these things tend to happen to younger players. Dylan Larkin saw a 17-point drop in his production this year. Ryan Johansson scored 12 points in 40 games in his second NHL season. Mark Scheifele was not even a full-time NHL player until he was 21-years-old.

Again, it is too early to think that this is all that Bennett has to offer.

Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #117
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I see a goalie of that quality way more beneficial to Calgary than Bannett.
To what end? Does adding Murray make our team a contender? IMO no, Building around a goalie as the centerpiece just doesn't work especially with the stupid trapezoid rule in place.

Regardless of how Bennett actually turns out, he's simply our best chance at a true elite center. The risk isn't that Bennett "lights it up with the Pens" it's that he doesn't it light it up with the Flames.

Goalies can steal you a series, we've seen Halak do it, we saw Tim Thomas do it, we almost saw Talbot do it, we've seen Elliott do it just a year ago. But to me a #1C or two and a #1D or two are still the fundamental pieces to a contender. Malkin and Crosby (and Letang). Bergeron and Chara (and Krejci). Doughty, Kopitar, and Carter. Neidermayer, Pronger, (and Getzlaf/McDonald). Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. Without those core pieces you're just the Colorado Avalanche or Montreal Canadiens.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #118
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Raanta, but I am not in love with anyone available. The more I look at goalies, the more warts it seems they have. If there was a new poll tomorrow, I would probably vote differently. None of the option are really standing out to me.

Heck, if Treliving brought back an Elliott/Johnson combo, I think I could live with it now. He will have a chip on his shoulder and will have something to prove.

I don't know what a good goalie is any longer.

With that being said, magic number for me is 3 years. I think Parsons is a lights-out prospect. I like Gillies, but I don't 'love' Gillies. I do think that he should be pushing for backup duties towards the end of next season. Parsons will be taking over the net in 3 seasons though. 1 season ECHL/AHL. One season as AHL starter. One season as NHL backup. The average goalie takes a few years of stewing in the AHL (or Europe), but for me Parsons is not an average prospect.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #119
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Andersson was traded for the #30 pick in 2016 and a second round pick in this year's draft. Last year the Flames had the #6, 35, 54, 56, 66, 96, 126, 166, 186 and all their 2017 draft picks at the time of the trade. I suspect that if they were in on a deal for Fredrik Andersson they were unwilling to move the #6 pick, and division-rival Anaheim was not as keen on their package (2016 #35 + 2017 2nd round pick?) as they were on Toronto's (2016 #30 + 2017 2nd round pick).

So, my point stands. The acquisition cost in this case was probably more than Treliving could afford to spend in a trade for Andersson.
Perhaps you're right about the acquisition cost for Andersen given he was on a divisional rival. Still there really aren't many options becoming available now that were not available earlier. We did give up assets for Elliott and now people want MAF? He'll likely cost more now than he did last summer plus the 2nd we gave up for a goalie that let us down in the playoffs.

I hope Treliving succeeds this time. My point is that in the time we have been trying to find a reliable number one, a number of other teams have pulled the trigger and found such goalies. Eventually being in the mix or trying moves that seem to make sense on paper but don't work is not good enough. Let's hope we get our man this time.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #120
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really hope Treliving isn't basing what he does on what Gillies/Parsons are going to become.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post: