SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #282
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
If a fluke is being the hardest working team in the NHL with great goaltending, I guess you're right.
Did anyone have the Flames penciled in as Western conference champions before the season, or even before the playoffs began?

It was a great team and run, but it was entirely unexpected.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 AM   #283
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lazar
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson

Extra: F. Hamilton, Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Extra: Bartkowski

Smith
Rittich

-There's no way Treliving gave up a 2nd round pick to acquire a 4th liner. Curtis Lazar will be given every opportunity, all season long to produce within our top six.
-Chiasson is not a UFA, the Flames own his rights so he'll most likely be signed if anything just to retain the asset
-Unless Jankowski has an unbelievable training camp, I just don't see the need to rush him. He can be an injury call up sure but l feel he should continue to play important minutes in the minors

Ultimately I don't see many changes happening to our forward group, especially with how bad this year's free agent group is. I believe Treliving feels like many, with much better goaltending, an improved D core, players rebounding from subpar seasons and having good, young depth in the minors is what the Flames need to be competitive
I doubt the Flames will go into next season without signing any free agents (other than Stone).
Treliving rarely sits around, I guarantee he's not done yet.
The Flames have what, $17 million in cap space? Even with signing Stone, Ferland, etc, that leaves quite a bit of room.

I do think the Flames will keep Stone. He'll probably sign for around 3.5 million.
Versteeg is a bit more of a toss up. He'd likely bring value, but the Flames already have several middle-6 forwards. I kind of hope he stays as well.

If the Flames sign a top 6 right winger, someone like Chiasson will probably be pushed off the team. That's fine.

Here are some UFA suggestions for a top line RW spot

ALEXANDER RADULOV
Had a good 50-60 point season. He wants a long term contract, but there's a chance he might not get it. If so, maybe he'll settle for a shorter (4 years or less) term deal.

MARTIN HANZAL
He'd be more of a fantastic 3rd line center. It would definitely bring depth in the case of an injury. But Hanzal himself is injury-prone. If he were sign, Bennett would have to spend all of his time on the wing.

JUSTIN WILLIAMS or RADIM VRBATA
They don't make a ton of sense, but they would definitely bring RW depth and a veteran presence. If they could be signed on shorter term deals, they could work. Vrbata in particular could spend time on the top line.

PATRICK MARLEAU or JAROMIR JAGR
Both had decent years. Marleau had 27 goals. They probably want short contracts. For Marleau, it sounds like he would prefer to stay in California. Overall, these options do make quite a bit of sense.

THOMAS VANEK
He'd be a decent option as long as the term was 3 years or less. Vanek seems to have his up and down years, but at the very least, he's a definite top 6 winger.

DREW STAFFORD
Uh, basically another Brouwer.

PATRICK SHARP
Had a bad year. He might have to sign a short and friendly contract. He might be due for a bounceback year.

A lot of these players are quite old. But as long the term is short, they could fit on a top 6 RW spot (except Hanzal, who is a center). Personally, I think Marleau, Vanek, and Vrbata make sense. Perhaps Sharp could be a decent gamble.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #284
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Versteeg and Chiasson are let go. Stajan traded, maybe Carolina can use veteran 3rd line guy for a year, if not he can hang out with Hamilton in the press box. No spending on UFA wingers this year. Only sign Kinkaid as the backup.

Or Stajan for Ward or Lack. All UFAs next year, gives Flames a backup and Canes a forward.

Pairs should be:
Gaudreau-Monahan
Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett
Jankowski-Lazar

Each line has a spot open.

Candidates:
Top Line: Ferland or Brouwer. Ferland's to lose but willing to give Brouwer one more chance if Ferland doesn't work.
2nd A Line: Brouwer or Bouma. Bouma has had previous success with Backs, Brouwer has to work here.
2nd B Line: Brouwer. This line showed chemistry last training camp, lets try it again.
Bottom Line: Hathaway/Hamilton. Hathaway played well with Janko in the A.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Jankowski-Hathaway
Hamilton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson
Wotherspoon

Smith
Kinkaid
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #285
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Did anyone have the Flames penciled in as Western conference champions before the season, or even before the playoffs began?

It was a great team and run, but it was entirely unexpected.
unexpected does not equal fluke.. really poor choice of words...
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #286
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames had 45 wins last year...surely they are a 50 win team now. If they traded all those future picks and are an average team it's time to blow it up lol. Time is now, no excuses.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #287
Lucky23
Draft Pick

Gaudreau – Monahan – Ferland
Tkachuk – Backlund – Frolik
Bennett – Jankowski – Lazar
Versteeg – Stajan – Brouwer
Hamilton, Bouma

Gio – Hamilton
Brodie – Hamonic
Stone – Kulak
Bartkowski

Smith
Rittich/GIllies
Lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #288
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I doubt the Flames will go into next season without signing any free agents (other than Stone).
Treliving rarely sits around, I guarantee he's not done yet.
The Flames have what, $17 million in cap space? Even with signing Stone, Ferland, etc, that leaves quite a bit of room.

I do think the Flames will keep Stone. He'll probably sign for around 3.5 million.
Versteeg is a bit more of a toss up. He'd likely bring value, but the Flames already have several middle-6 forwards. I kind of hope he stays as well.

If the Flames sign a top 6 right winger, someone like Chiasson will probably be pushed off the team. That's fine.

Here are some UFA suggestions for a top line RW spot

ALEXANDER RADULOV
Had a good 50-60 point season. He wants a long term contract, but there's a chance he might not get it. If so, maybe he'll settle for a shorter (4 years or less) term deal.

MARTIN HANZAL
He'd be more of a fantastic 3rd line center. It would definitely bring depth in the case of an injury. But Hanzal himself is injury-prone. If he were sign, Bennett would have to spend all of his time on the wing.

JUSTIN WILLIAMS or RADIM VRBATA
They don't make a ton of sense, but they would definitely bring RW depth and a veteran presence. If they could be signed on shorter term deals, they could work. Vrbata in particular could spend time on the top line.

PATRICK MARLEAU or JAROMIR JAGR
Both had decent years. Marleau had 27 goals. They probably want short contracts. For Marleau, it sounds like he would prefer to stay in California. Overall, these options do make quite a bit of sense.

THOMAS VANEK
He'd be a decent option as long as the term was 3 years or less. Vanek seems to have his up and down years, but at the very least, he's a definite top 6 winger.

DREW STAFFORD
Uh, basically another Brouwer.

PATRICK SHARP
Had a bad year. He might have to sign a short and friendly contract. He might be due for a bounceback year.

A lot of these players are quite old. But as long the term is short, they could fit on a top 6 RW spot (except Hanzal, who is a center). Personally, I think Marleau, Vanek, and Vrbata make sense. Perhaps Sharp could be a decent gamble.
Great write up my friend but personally I just see all these players as older sideway moves with the exception of Hanzal. If it's possible to sign one of them to a one year contract then great but I'm not sure that's a reality. Hanzal would definitely be a great fit but would probably be after athe least a 5x5 type contract and I'm just not sure that's wise or maybe it is, who am I to say, lol,
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #289
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski – Backlund – Frolik
Tkachuk – Bennett – Lazar
Versteeg – Stajan – Brouwer
Hamilton, Bouma

Gio – Hamilton
Brodie – Hamonic
Stone – Anderson
Kulak

Smith
Rittich

I can see the Flames looking to shelter Jankowski by putting him on the line with Backlund and Frolik.

It also sets up what will be the most hated line in hockey of:

Tkachuk - Bennett - Lazar

After Bennett crashes the net and Tkachuk gets someone with an elbow on the way by, the opponents will have to look at Lazar smiling and laughing at them. Instant Rage, powerplays ensue.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #290
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a low threshold before I return to the lines that work (Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik, Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland, Giordano-Hamilton). But I start training camp with the following pairings:

Gaudreau-Monahan
Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett

Giordano-Hamonic
Brodie-Hamilton

For the most part the Flames are able to fill in the rest with what they have. But if you want to be competitive I suggest we need to bring in a RW, 3-pairing D, and a BU goalie. Preferably a RW for the top line (I think Ferland would look great on Backlunds LW).

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #291
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think the Flames can bring in a UFA forward with the current amount of forwards they have committed. Here's what I predict:

Flames trade Stajan for 3rd + 4th
Flames trade Bouma for 4th + 5th
Flames trade Chiasson for 4th

Flames sign T. Vanek
Flames sign M. Stone

Gaud - Mony - Vanek
Tkack - Back - Fro
Ferly - Bentt - Laz
Shinkaruk/Klimchuck - Jankowski - Hamilton/Hathaway

Gio - Ham
Brod - Ham
Kulak/Kylington/Bart - Stone
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #292
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't think the Flames can bring in a UFA forward with the current amount of forwards they have committed. Here's what I predict:

Flames trade Stajan for 3rd + 4th
Flames trade Bouma for 4th + 5th
Flames trade Chiasson for 4th
Well for starters, you're not getting draft picks for any of those players.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #293
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well for starters, you're not getting draft picks for any of those players.
I could see Bouma returning a draft pick maybe, but not Stajan or Chiasson. If Stajan could get a return of a 3rd & 4th he would have been traded by now.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #294
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If David Jones can return a sixth-rounder, then Stajan, who is about three times the player that Jones was at the 2016 deadline with a lesser cap hit, can easily get a good return. Dude is one of the better 4Cs in the whole league, terrific vet presence. Bouma, on the other hand...

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #295
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If David Jones can return a sixth-rounder, then Stajan, who is about three times the player that Jones was at the 2016 deadline with a lesser cap hit, can easily get a good return. Dude is one of the better 4Cs in the whole league, terrific vet presence. Bouma, on the other hand...
You mean the David Jones deal where we took on Backstrom?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #296
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jankowski – Backlund – Frolik
Tkachuk – Bennett – Lazar
Hathaway – Stajan – Iginla
Hamilton, Bouma

Gio – Hamilton
Brodie – Hamonic
Oduya/Kylington – Anderson

Smith
Rittich

Trade 1: Brouwer for picks
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #297
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The market dictates the return and the market always changes.

2 picks for Glencross, nothing for Cammalleri.

My updated line up:

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Versteeg Bennett Lazar
Bouma Jankowski Brouwer
Stajan
Hamilton

Giordano Hamilton
Brodie Hamonic
Kulak Stone
Bartkowski

Smith Gillies

Last edited by Toonage; 06-25-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #298
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You mean the David Jones deal where we took on Backstrom?
True, I completely forgot about that part of the deal. But that was mostly a goodwill move by Minnie to allow Nik to play out the rest of his career and get some starts here that he wasn't going to get there. It's not like we were saddled with his contract for two more years.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #299
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All these lineups with Stone as the 5th d man, not happening

And if it does you have 4m+ d man with term on your 3rd pairing, either way its a bad move/unlikely

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.

Last edited by Keselke; 06-25-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #300
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Oduya makes a lot of sense as a 5/6 with Andersson - mostly because

(1) he fits the role of a 5/6 and is very defensively responsible
(2) brings stanley cup experience
(3) would be able to mentor Kylington and Andersson
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
too soon?