Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #101
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I don't think Kylington and Jankowski would be considered "blue chip prospects" league-wide. That term is typically reserved for players seen as a lock for top minutes for years to come. I do agree with you though that most teams wouldn't trade blue chip D and C prospects for Landeskog though...including us...as that would mean we're shipping off Bennett/Tkachuk, Dougie, and our first.
Well see, youre saying Bennett, Tkachuk and Dougie are or would be considered Blue Chippers, theyre NHL'ers... Not prospects in anyway.

Also, Matty and Sam both made the jump right away.. So they never had a chance to be any type of prospect, blue chip or otherwise.

The term blue chip is used poorly in my opinion as its too vague.

So lets look at it this way,

An organizations best player at its position who is considered a prospect.

For the Flames that Janko and Kylington.

What other teams could offer their best 2 prospects, regardless of position and their 1st this year without sacrificing their future or their prospect pool?

This is where I feel the Flames are in a unique position.

Philly wouldnt I dont think as they need their top 2 to pan out to take them to the next level.

Same with Winnipeg, they need their top 2 to pan out so they can make some tough decisions on some of their other guys.

Same goes for Buffalo.

The Flames are unique IMO in that they have the key players at the NHL level set.

3 top 3 Dmen, 5 or maybe 6 top 6 forwards

3 top 3 Centers

The weakness is on RW, obviously and i dont need to remind anyone of that..

Point is, losing Kylington and Janko dioesnt hurt this team in anyway going forward.

We have guys that can replace Kylington as our top D prospect but be equivalent and make it seamless.

Janko doesnt hurt as we have 3 guys that would be tough to displace.

I dont think there is another team in the NHL that can afford to make a move like this.

EDIT: Make a move like this without sacrificing something and hurting the team down the road.

Last edited by IgiTang; 01-07-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #102
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, you can't just add players until it feels like you're giving up comparable value.

If we're getting Landeskog, we're saying goodbye to Bennett, Brodie, Hamilton, Tkachuk, or (at very least) Backlund. If it's Backlund, then you're probably adding the 1st and/or a top prospect.

At that point, I don't know why the Flames are trading any of those guys for another LW. Landeskog is great, but is he a huge improvement? Or just a new, admittedly very pretty toy?

EDIT: I actually wouldn't be opposed to trading Bennett for Landeskog. I think that gets a deal started, pushes our window up a little bit but it might be worth it. That's if Bennett is going to continue to bounce back and forth between LW and C. Bennett could become better than Landeskog but I think you have to take some risk of the deal looking bad in the future if you're getting a top player under 25.
This in bold ^
We are seeking a right wing, and Iginla is a feel good, not a solution.
I feel Bennett is in a classic sophomore slump and hate the idea of dealing him now. Highest pick in Calgary history should not be dealt for a position we are already strong at.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #103
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Bennett for Landeskog is a win-now tactic and the Flames are not far enough along to justify it.

We need another RW, another good defenseman, and a starting goalie.

Taking on Landeskog's contract, for yet another LW, is terrible asset management IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #104
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Trading Bennett for Landeskog is a win-now tactic and the Flames are not far enough along to justify it.

We need another RW, another good defenseman, and a starting goalie.

Taking on Landeskog's contract, for yet another LW, is terrible asset management IMO.
Seconded.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #105
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Well see, youre saying Bennett, Tkachuk and Dougie are or would be considered Blue Chippers, theyre NHL'ers... Not prospects in anyway.

Also, Matty and Sam both made the jump right away.. So they never had a chance to be any type of prospect, blue chip or otherwise.

The term blue chip is used poorly in my opinion as its too vague.

So lets look at it this way,

An organizations best player at its position who is considered a prospect.

For the Flames that Janko and Kylington.

What other teams could offer their best 2 prospects, regardless of position and their 1st this year without sacrificing their future or their prospect pool?

This is where I feel the Flames are in a unique position.

Philly wouldnt I dont think as they need their top 2 to pan out to take them to the next level.

Same with Winnipeg, they need their top 2 to pan out so they can make some tough decisions on some of their other guys.

Same goes for Buffalo.

The Flames are unique IMO in that they have the key players at the NHL level set.

3 top 3 Dmen, 5 or maybe 6 top 6 forwards

3 top 3 Centers

The weakness is on RW, obviously and i dont need to remind anyone of that..

Point is, losing Kylington and Janko dioesnt hurt this team in anyway going forward.

We have guys that can replace Kylington as our top D prospect but be equivalent and make it seamless.

Janko doesnt hurt as we have 3 guys that would be tough to displace.

I dont think there is another team in the NHL that can afford to make a move like this.

EDIT: Make a move like this without sacrificing something and hurting the team down the road.
I agree that it would be a great trade as we're not overly harmed by it. I just think the Avs wouldn't consider it because they'll have better offers. Even if they're our best two prospects by position not playing in the NHL, that doesn't make them better than they are...it just means we don't have better prospects to offer. I think your definition is off as you're trying to use comparable prospects within an organization to determine a player's value. Using that logic, the Oilers can offer a similar package of "blue chip prospects" Tyler Benson and Ethan Bear (or insert any other B-list prospect you prefer).
Old 01-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #106
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Lots of scouts watching the Coyotes AHL affiliate play the Sharks AHL affiliate. It is an afternoon game with the Sharks playing the Red Wings later tonight, so that might be the main event.

Zachary DeVine @zakkthebear
Scouts for @RoadrunnersAHL vs @sjbarracuda: NYR, EDM, CGY, CBJ, BUF, TOR while #LAkings, #RedWings and #Avs each have a pair in attendance.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #107
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund speculating Iginla to Flames
Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #108
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
He must have had to dig pretty deep to make up this particular rumour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #109
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I agree that it would be a great trade as we're not overly harmed by it. I just think the Avs wouldn't consider it because they'll have better offers. Even if they're our best two prospects by position not playing in the NHL, that doesn't make them better than they are...it just means we don't have better prospects to offer. I think your definition is off as you're trying to use comparable prospects within an organization to determine a player's value. Using that logic, the Oilers can offer a similar package of "blue chip prospects" Tyler Benson and Ethan Bear (or insert any other B-list prospect you prefer).
Sure they can offer them by that logic, but one package is clearly better than the other.

What teams can take their their best C prospect and best D prospect and package them with their #1 pick this year for landeskog and not hurt their team for years to come?

I can't think of one, other than the Flames.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #110
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

That doesn't matter because the package more than likely isn't good enough. It doesn't matter that they are the Flames top prospects they aren't high enough value.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #111
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Sure they can offer them by that logic, but one package is clearly better than the other.

What teams can take their their best C prospect and best D prospect and package them with their #1 pick this year for landeskog and not hurt their team for years to come?

I can't think of one, other than the Flames.
The reason for that isn't because the Flames have a glut of prospects.

It's because our best C prospect and best D prospect aren't actually that good. They're good, but they're expendable because of their level of talent and potential, not exclusively because of our situation.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #112
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's my pipedream proposal in the event Chia can't find a better deal at the deadline because every GM is afraid to do something with the expansion happening:

Flames trade:
Wideman 50% retained + Elliott + Brouwer + Kylington

Oilers trade:
Puljujarvi + Fayne

Here's my thoughts here:
-- Oilers have weakness in their top 6 RW position, back-up goalie position, and top 4 RD position.
-- Oilers need cap flexibility for when McDavid and Drasaitl contracts expire, so short term contracts are beneficial and Fayne cap relief helps for next season
-- Oilers are hungry to give their fans playoffs, so they probably want to go further than the first round, hence they fill the holes in their line-up
-- Puljujarvi is REALLY struggling with the Oilers and meets the Flames needs longer term than short term
-- Oilers regain some of Puljujarvi's potential by getting Kylington, who could ultimately be the best piece in the deal.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also realize that Chia would rather trade for a #1 D more than anything (probably spending their 1st rounder too) but I can't see any club giving up a #1 D for a struggling Puljujarvi and late 1st

Last edited by MarkGio; 01-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #113
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Adrian Dater ‏@adater
LA Kings with heavy interest in Landeskog, I'm told

Adrian Dater ‏@adater
Count the Penguins as a team interested in Landeskog

Adrian Dater ‏@adater
Pens have zero cap room though. Only D I could see Avs interested in for Landy is Maatta. (Excluding Letang presumably). Don't see it workin
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #114
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Totally fair point, but if the Avs are looking for that type of package, who can offer a better one without depleting their prospect pool and mortgaging their teams future?
Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #115
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Here's my pipedream proposal in the event Chia can't find a better deal at the deadline because every GM is afraid to do something with the expansion happening:

Flames trade:
Wideman 50% retained + Elliott + Brouwer + Kylington

Oilers trade:
Puljujarvi + Fayne

Here's my thoughts here:
-- Oilers have weakness in their top 6 RW position, back-up goalie position, and top 4 RD position.
-- Oilers need cap flexibility for when McDavid and Drasaitl contracts expire, so short term contracts are beneficial and Fayne cap relief helps for next season
-- Oilers are hungry to give their fans playoffs, so they probably want to go further than the first round, hence they fill the holes in their line-up
-- Puljujarvi is REALLY struggling with the Oilers and meets the Flames needs longer term than short term
-- Oilers regain some of Puljujarvi's potential by getting Kylington, who could ultimately be the best piece in the deal.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also realize that Chia would rather trade for a #1 D more than anything (probably spending their 1st rounder too) but I can't see any club giving up a #1 D for a struggling Puljujarvi and late 1st
I could actually see happening. Oilers not wanting to give us Puljujarvi and not wanting to abandon their 1st rounder will be the roadblocks.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #116
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I could actually see happening. Oilers not wanting to give us Puljujarvi and not wanting to abandon their 1st rounder will be the roadblocks.
Yeah for sure. I think another roadblock could be Treliving not wanting to give the perception of "abandoning the playoffs" by selling roster players.

Also, theoretically, Chia could acquire a top RW separately, as well as a RD and back-up, without giving up a significant piece like Puljujarvi. But with how little movement there has been in the league with the expansion pending, who knows if he can.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #117
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would the Oilers want that package?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #118
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I found his source!!

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=158759
Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #119
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Avs and Bruins discussed Carlo, but Bruins said no. Bruins telling teams they won't deal Carlo

Sense if Plekanec's play doesn't get better soon he might be put on the trade market
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #120
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Man, you guys and your trade proposals. I normally take cheap shots at Weitz' Flames related comments, yet guys in this thread have me shaking my head until I get to a Weitz post where I'm nodding in agreeance . Good lord.

Here's a huge hint - You can't just keep adding players in until you feel you've achieved some perceived equal value to a star player. What you guys are doing without knowing it probably, is trying to make the best trade proposal possible while not giving up anyone you like. Well great, except the real world doesn't work like that.

You can't go "Well, Bennett, Monahan, Hamilton, Brodie, etc are all non starters because those are core players for us, so let's see maybe a third liner and some super awesome, definitely gonna be great someday prospects, and hey you know what? Maybe even a pick to sweeten the pot".

So our core players are super untouchable because....they're our core players, yet the other team is supposed to just be understanding of that and give up their core player?

Last edited by jayswin; 01-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread