Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #2741
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly don't see it as a big deal, similar to the Bennett burn in the playoff year.

Jesse P is struggling this year, but now you get to burn a year of his contract without gaudy numbers.

Bennett had a year gone with essentially no numbers, then a 35 season potentially followed by what looks like another 35 point season. Without that burn year, he could have potentially gone 35, 35 and then maybe a big boost to say 60 next year and with it a very different contract than what he's going to sign this summer as it looks.

Monahan had three productive years and the Flames had to pay up to keep him.

I think upper roster players (prospects) off to slow starts get hurt more by the burned year than the team does.
But they could have burned a year of his ELC without burning a year of his RFA status. That's the confusing part. And it's not like he was an integral part of the Oilers team. Kid was benched most of the time, or outright scratched.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #2742
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly don't see it as a big deal, similar to the Bennett burn in the playoff year.

Jesse P is struggling this year, but now you get to burn a year of his contract without gaudy numbers.

Bennett had a year gone with essentially no numbers, then a 35 season potentially followed by what looks like another 35 point season. Without that burn year, he could have potentially gone 35, 35 and then maybe a big boost to say 60 next year and with it a very different contract than what he's going to sign this summer as it looks.

I think upper roster players (prospects) off to slow starts get hurt more by the burned year than the team does.
Burning a year off the ELC is not a big deal. But burning a professional year that counts towards UFA is
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #2743
Rooster697
Draft Pick

Puljujarvi played 28 games. Doesn't it take 40 to burn a RFA year?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #2744
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster697 View Post
Puljujarvi played 28 games. Doesn't it take 40 to burn a RFA year?
40 games on the roster, not played
Old 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #2745
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Puljujarvi burned the first year on his ELC after game 10. Now after game 40, they've burned a year of RFA status. UFA years cost more than RFA years.

It is not like Bennett because Bennett didn't burn a year of RFA status. This cannot be made into a positive for the Oilers.

And in the 3 games since they burned his contract, he was scratched twice, and played less than 4 minutes in one.

Chiarelli burned an entire year of JP's RFA eligibility for 3 minutes and 27 seconds of ice time. It's idiotic.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-09-2017 at 03:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #2746
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Damn guys, my bad ... they are idiots!

I literally have no defense for the Oilers in this one, especially given their usage of the player in December.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #2747
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its really stupid, but not all that surprising.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #2748
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
40 games on the roster, not played
What do you want to bet that someone in the Oil org didn't understand this?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #2749
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wait, they seriously just burned an entire year of RFA eligibility on a top tier prospect for three minutes of ice time???? That didn't actually happen did it? Have they commented on this at all? That has to be one of the stupider management decisions I've seen in a long time.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #2750
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Like you'd have to think most teams have multiple meetings per WEEK discussing major decisions like this leading up to them. "Okay, he's playing well enough, we need to burn the year and keep him up" or "after closely monitoring this we NEED to send him down before the 40 game mark or risk losing a whole year of RFA".

How the hell did this go in Edmonton? "Hey, so Jesse's coming up on 40 games, eh?" "So?" "Well, I think I read something about some sort of importance on 40 games on our fan message board". "Those guys are idiots, they're not professionals, keep him up.....and BTW if he sucks on Sunday, send him down".

Head scratching decision.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #2751
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The media doesn't hold the Oilers accountable enough. They are a dynasty-to-be led by their lord and savior McGoober.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #2752
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling it was an agreement between the Oilers and Puljujärvi to get him over to North America and adapting his game to the North American style. It burns off a year of his RFA status but it also is better than him playing in Finland for the year and he couldn't play in juniors.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #2753
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What do you want to bet that someone in the Oil org didn't understand this?
The thing is, they did it with Draisaitl two years ago, and they sent him down just before their 40th game, so they understood it then.

Maybe MacT "forgot" to remind Chia.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #2754
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFanInCalgary View Post
Good summary. Oiler's certainly will be up against a cap crunch. Lucic definitely an anchor that won't be moveable. Although you forgot Mark Fayne at 3.6m AAV who comes off the books after next season. I honestly doubt McDavid will demand 12m AAV, I think 10m max. There is a long precedent for players taking discounts to keep the team competitive. if he demands 12m AAV, the Oilers are really gonna feel the pain.
Personally if he asks for 12 million dollars he is giving the Oilers a discount. Especially considering that he is not only the face of the Oilers but the face of the NHL.

If you look at the top paid players

you've now got guys like Kopitar Kane and toews with 10.5 million dollar cap hits, but earning salaries far in excess of 12 million bucks a year.

There's no way that McDavid his agent and the NHL PA are in effect going to allow a 2 to 4 million dollar hair cut.

If the Oilers want to sign McDavid to a max length contract a significant number of years are going to have a salary not cap hit in excess of 12 to 14 million bucks and it will probably average to 12

and your right, the Oilers will lose Fayne's 3.6.

but the one thing thats apparent is going forward for the next few years the Oiler's won't be players in the free agent market, and on top of that will probably have to lose talent from what is their current lineup. Logic tells us that they will have to replace those players with low cost alternatives which means that the Oilers talent trajectory is down and not up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #2755
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

(in respond to handshake deal to get Puljujarvi year to NA)

Pretty flawed plan. Bottom line there was no reason to rush him this year as it was pretty evident in the preseason he was not ready. Him playing another year in Finland would probably have helped his game a lot more then what transpired this year. It got to the point that he was an absolute liability on the ice and he started playing less and less if he played at all. In the last game against the Bruins his last shift was at 6 minute mark of the 2nd period. He sat for the final 34 minutes of the game.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #2756
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFanInCalgary View Post
...I honestly doubt McDavid will demand 12m AAV, I think 10m max. There is a long precedent for players taking discounts to keep the team competitive. if he demands 12m AAV, the Oilers are really gonna feel the pain.
You are not the first Oilers fan to suggest here that McDavid will come in at under $10.0 m. Which players are those that have taken discounts on their second contracts specifically in an effort to keep his team competitive? The thing is, if a player like Sidney Crosby is a comparable his second contract adjusted for league inflation actually equals about an $11.0 m cap hit—and he signed this deal with a team that had just won a Stanley Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-09-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #2757
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Oilers are apparently set to become road cones full-time next year:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/01/...me-in-2017-18/
Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #2758
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Oilers are apparently set to become road cones full-time next year:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/01/...me-in-2017-18/
Haha, fitting picture below the article of girl crying and mascara running.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 01-09-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #2759
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The WJCs to me are the real head scratcher. Why not let pulparti play in them? In retrospect, he would have the opportunity to be dominant without affecting the oilers at all. It makes no sense.

So oilers. So e=ng. It's perfect.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #2760
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Seems pretty obvious this was a deal between Puljujarvi's agent & Chiarelli. They waited until the very moment an RFA year was burned, while the kid watched games from the pressbox or bench, before sending him down. Burning the RFA year was obviously deliberate.

The fact that Chiarelli would make that deal with an 18yo kid is absolutely open to criticism though.
Closed Thread