Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #721
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on Kailer Yamamoto?

Really small, but looks like he has incredible skill and hockey sense. Could be the high risk/high reward Treliving is looking for?
A couple of the most talented prospects in the draft are undersized: Yamamoto and Brannstrom.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #722
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on Kailer Yamamoto?

Really small, but looks like he has incredible skill and hockey sense. Could be the high risk/high reward Treliving is looking for?
Don't like the fact that he's small and slow
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #723
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Don't like the fact that he's small and slow
This is the first I've heard of his being slow.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #724
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you're getting Yamamoto mixed up with Nick Suzuki-Suzuki is the one with some skating issues, Yamamoto is a good skater.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #725
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
This is the first I've heard of his being slow.
Seen some scouting reports saying he needs to work on his skating, which is always worrisome, but even more considering his height and stature.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #726
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think you're getting Yamamoto mixed up with Nick Suzuki-Suzuki is the one with some skating issues, Yamamoto is a good skater.
Suzuki skates in molasses.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #727
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think concerns about his skating are overblown. There is a variety of opinion but all in all it sounds like any deficiencies are easily corrected.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nick-suz...spect-profile/
https://thecanuckway.com/2017/05/28/...e-nick-suzuki/
http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/...-nhl-draft-14/
https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2017...ospect-profile
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #728
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-open...?tid=277764372
Quote:
Flames may look to add picks in NHL Draft
Calgary open to stockpiling selections by trading down from No. 16
Quote:
A shortage of selections isn't discouraging Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving ahead of the 2017 NHL Draft presented by adidas.

The Flames have five picks, including one in the opening three rounds of the draft. Calgary traded its second-round pick (No. 47) and defenseman Jyrki Jokipakka to the Ottawa Senators for 22-year-old forward Curtis Lazar and defenseman Michael Kostka on March 1. The Flames also traded their third-round pick (No. 78) to the Arizona Coyotes for defenseman Michael Stone on Feb. 20.

The first round of the draft at United Center in Chicago is Friday (7 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN). Rounds 2-7 are Saturday (10 a.m. ET; NHLN, SN).

"Going into Chicago, we're short picks," Treliving said. "This is the first time we've done that. We've had multiple picks and extra picks in previous years. We've used those. I look at it as we've got our first (No. 16). Our second-round pick, to me, is not gone. We've got Curtis Lazar, who represents the second-round pick. We feel we probably don't get into the position to be in the [Stanley Cup Playoffs] without the addition of Michael Stone. We think we spent [traded picks] wisely.

"We'd like to have more bullets in our chamber going in there and we'll see if we can do that, or use what we do have to be as active as we can here."
dont worry.. tre still gets it..
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #729
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames trading down would allow Treliving to join Button(Sjostrom V Kobasew/Taratukhin), Sutter (Ian Cole V Backlund/Negrin) and Feaster (Zemgus Girgensens V Jankowski/Sieloff) in the Tod Button Club of Traderdowners.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #730
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My god. Jim Benning talking would not give me confidence if I was a Canucks fan.

Interview on TSN mock entry draft. Dim is a very appropriate nickname.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #731
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames will look more to the next draft to add picks. I think they will trade Stajan and Bouma to add picks for the 2018 draft.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #732
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think the Flames will look more to the next draft to add picks. I think they will trade Stajan and Bouma to add picks for the 2018 draft.
If they can make trades with those players and get picks that will be amazing. Especially if they are above tbe 5th round in picks!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #733
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Yamamoto will be a steal wherever he is picked, unless he is picked in the top 5.

And yes, the Flames should try to get 4th round picks with players like Stajan or Bouma.
The Flames are super effective when it comes to 4th round picks.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #734
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think Yamamoto will be a steal wherever he is picked, unless he is picked in the top 5.

And yes, the Flames should try to get 4th round picks with players like Stajan or Bouma.
The Flames are super effective when it comes to 4th round picks.
That would be great!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #735
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If they can make trades with those players and get picks that will be amazing. Especially if they are above tbe 5th round in picks!
The only way we are getting 4th rounders for these players is if we send 3rd round picks with them. Can't see a market for these players. Only way I see them leaving is if their contracts expire or are bought out.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #736
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rasmussen intrigues me. I remember some scout (Button?) recently saying that they weren't concerned about his lack of even strength scoring, And that every time he watched him they see's tremendous upside.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #737
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope we do not trade down in the first round. There will be high potential players that fall to 16. The Sutter train of thought, our guy will be there at 24! Well if your guy will be there at 24 you are probably picking the wrong player.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #738
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm taking Lias Andersson over anyone not named: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Vilardi, Glass, Pettersson, Liljegren or Necas.

I have him in the same tier as: Mittelstadt and Makar

And a definite step ahead of: Valimaki, Suzuki, Rasmussen, Tippett, Foote or Tolvanen (who I don't like very much).
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #739
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love, do you watch a lot of Junior hockey? Not questioning your opinions, just curious to hear if your takes are just from reading about these guys and watching some highlights packages, or actually seeing some live.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #740
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Rasmussen intrigues me. I remember some scout (Button?) recently saying that they weren't concerned about his lack of even strength scoring, And that every time he watched him they see's tremendous upside.
I don't think I have seen a more unimpressive highlight package for a near top 10 ranked prospect. He reminds me of Chris Dingman, scores garbage goals on whl goalies due to his size and standing in the slot. Most of his goals would not be scored on NHL goalies and he wouldn't have the time and space to even get the shot off against NHL defenders.

Hope the Flames stay well cleared. Don't see much skill at all. Hoping Benning takes this local boy at 5!

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft