Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find some of these decisions interesting^^^

So you protected Luca Sbisa over Erik Gudbranson on Vancouver? Anaheim protects 4-4-1? Do they not leave good forward exposed in that situation or do you just like Manson that much?

I see a lot of the same picks from certain teams, even poor picks like Curtis McKenzie from Dallas. Seriously...there's almost nobody worth picking up from some of these teams. You can almost be assured that Pickard is getting picked up from Colorado, since nobody else on that team is worth going after.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I find some of these decisions interesting^^^

So you protected Luca Sbisa over Erik Gudbranson on Vancouver? Anaheim protects 4-4-1? Do they not leave good forward exposed in that situation or do you just like Manson that much?

I see a lot of the same picks from certain teams, even poor picks like Curtis McKenzie from Dallas. Seriously...there's almost nobody worth picking up from some of these teams. You can almost be assured that Pickard is getting picked up from Colorado, since nobody else on that team is worth going after.
Anaheim I protected

Getzlaf, Perry, Kelser, Rackell, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Vermette
Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen
Gibson

Bieksa waived

And yeap, I like Manson that much. If this scenario happened and I was Tre I'd offer GMGM the 17th overall for Manson, but I doubt he'd bite.

With Van I protected Sbisa over Gudbranson since he was injured for over half the season, but that is probably a stretch I admit.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone else want to give CapFriendly's expansion tool a try? I'm honestly curious to see some different outcomes from another person's perspective. Maybe if enough people do this there can be a consensus as to which players are likely to be taken.
Toyed with it a couple times but there is going to be so much moving and shaking leading up to the expansion draft that it's a fruitless effort at this point.

Quote:
Anaheim protects 4-4-1? Do they not leave good forward exposed in that situation or do you just like Manson that much?
The Ducks protect four on D then still leave Josh Mason exposed. Bieska has a NMC so he's a forced protect. That leaves Fowler, Vatanen and Lindholm as protected.

That Bieska NMC kills them. Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler have NMC's as well so they can only protect one more up front. Richard Rackell and Jakub Silverberg then also become available.

Going to be an interesting time for Anaheim.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post

The Ducks protect four on D then still leave Josh Mason exposed. Bieska has a NMC so he's a forced protect. That leaves Fowler, Vatanen and Lindholm as protected.

That Bieska NMC kills them. Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler have NMC's as well so they can only protect one more up front. Richard Rackell and Jakub Silverberg then also become available.

Going to be an interesting time for Anaheim.
I thought I read somewhere that Bieksa was going to waive his NMC for expansion, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully I am because I'd love nothing more than for that team to sweat that one out. In that case not only would they have to leave one of Vatanen or Manson exposed, but also one of Silfverberg or Rackell.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Toyed with it a couple times but there is going to be so much moving and shaking leading up to the expansion draft that it's a fruitless effort at this point.
Is there? I can only think of a few situations off the top of my head:

Fleury's NMC situation is obvious, either being traded for by a team that can protect him or being bought out.

Some older players waiving their NMC for the good of the team's protection list: Zdeno Chara (40), Scott Hartnell (35), Kevin Bieksa (36), Francois Beauchemin (36), ANYONE on Chicago's list (ain't gonna happen).

BTW, how does Jeff Petry of all people have a NMC?

There might be some trades of draft picks to Vegas to have them pick a certain player over another, but I honestly don't think we'll see that very often. Picks are too valuable to worry about losing bottom half of your roster players.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #26
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Flames

Ok. Here is my list. I tried to avoid any RFAs and UFAs in 2017, which was quite hard. Some teams just didn't have much available. Anyway, here is my list. I am sure it is terrible and I have loads of cap space. So signing free agents is a must but I think I spread out the picks pretty well.

RW
Brouwer, Hemsky, Stempniak, Weise, Colborne, Letestu, Beagle, Smith-Pelly, JT Brown, Armia

LW
Calvert, Smith-Pelly, Colin Wilson, Colborne, Scott Wilson

C
Colin Wilson, Colborne, Letestu, Marchessault, Sheahan, Zack Smith

I would go after Thorton, Eric Staal or Hanzal to fill the 1st line centre roll, hoping to sign at least 1 of them. Not that they are really 1st line material but they have to be better than guys I have picked in the draft. I would also try to get Mike Fisher if he doesn't re-sign in Nashville.

So my lines would look like this.
Calvert - Thorton/Staal/Hanzal/Fisher - Hemsky
Stempniak - Marchessault - Brouwer
C. Wilson - Sheahan - Armia
Colborne (or Smith-Pelly) - Letestu - Beagle

Bench/Minors: JT Brown, (Colborne or Smith-Pelly), Scott Wilson

D
RD - Vatanen, Schenn, Bortuzzo, T. Van Riemsdyk, Biega, Carrick
LD - De Haan, Gorges, Brayden McNabb, Brandon Davidson,

Lines would look like:

De Haan - Vatanen
Gorges - Bortuzzo
McNabb - Schenn

7th/8th: van Riemsdyk and Davidson

Minors: Biega and Carrick (probably not great for waivers but I see them at the bottom, Biega is 29 and doesn't have much upside but could be a depth defender. Carrick has potential since he is only 23, so maybe some time in the minors for the first season might not be a terrible thing...not sure how much he played in TO this past season, but looking at the rest of the D, he is in the bottom, mostly because of his inexperience at the NHL level (ie less than 100 games).

For the goalies, I went off the wall.

G
Antti Raanta, Malcolm Subban and Aaron Dell.

I would send Subban to the minors and run with a tandem of Dell and Raanta. I think both are close to becoming good goalies in the league. Dell has had some awesome numbers in the last few years as a back up and so has Raanta, both in Chicago and in NY. I am not sure I would run with a potential #1 in the first year of expansion (ie a Bishop, Fleury, Elliott). These are good options, you might find a diamond in the rough. Actually I hope the Flames give a guy like one of these guys a chance, possibly Gillies next season as a backup to start.

Anyway, my projected cap hit is about $53.5 million, with about $19.5 million in cap space (to sign one of the centres mentioned above). I am not sure I would spend any more than that in the first year, ie about $10 - 15 million+ in cap space would be great for trades for LV.

This feels too much like NHL 2016 or any other year where you can be a GM.

There will be a lot of changes next season and I can't wait. Too bad the Flames are out of the playoffs and this is the most exciting thing until October.

Stupid Oilers.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #27
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Las Vegas can load up on goaltenders if they want. They can take six. Then they broker deals to shore up other positions. If the Flames want a goaltender, it might be via the Golden Knights.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I will have a go at this.

ANA - D - Josh Manson
ARI - D - Luke Schenn
BOS - D - Adam McQuaid
BUF - F - William Carrier
CGY - F - Hunter Shinkaruk
CAR - F - Lee Stempniak
CHI - D - Trevor van Riemsdyk
COL - G - Calvin Pickard
CLB - D - Jack Johnson
DAL - D - Oleksiak
DET - F - Riley Sheahan
EDM - F - Benoit Pouliot
FLA - D - Mark Pysyk
LAK - D - Brayden McNabb
MIN - D - Jonas Brodin
MON - D - Jordie Benn
NAS - F - Calle Jarnkrok
NJD - F - Beau Bennett
NYI - F - Cal Clutterbuck
NYR - F - Michael Grabner
OTT - F - Zack Smith
PHI - F - Micheal Raffl
PIT - G - Marc Andre Fleury
SJS - D - David Schlemko
STL - F - Ryan Reaves
TBL - F - Vladislav Namestnikov
TOR - F - Eric Fehr
VAN - F - Jayson Megna
WAS - G - Philipp Grubauer
WIN - F - Joel Armia

I thought about Johns or Oleksiak, Stars may potentially protect only one
Boston - D, could be McQuaid or Miller
NYR could protect Grabner, and if so then Oscar Lindberg

I also considered they may take a flier on Yakupov ( StL) or Cammalleri (NJD) if they are exposed.

Maybe they go cheaper and younger on a few more slots because I picked a lot of middle of the road NHLers and they could add in free agency as well
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #29
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing these MAF picks from Pittsburgh.... am I missing something - did he waive his NMC?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Seeing these MAF picks from Pittsburgh.... am I missing something - did he waive his NMC?
That's the only scenario that would make sense, but he would also have to waive his NMC for a trade, and I would imagine he would rather be traded to a non-expansion franchise than be selected by Vegas. Trading is a win-win for both parties in this scenario because the Pens don't have to continue paying his salary, and Fleury can choose his destination.

The most likely scenario in my mind is that Pittsburgh buys him out so they can protect Murray, and then he signs wherever he wants.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #31
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know about the other teams, but I see a trade with the Oilers to take Pouliot. Don't know what the going rate would be though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #32
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Don't know about the other teams, but I see a trade with the Oilers to take Pouliot. Don't know what the going rate would be though.
I assume for cap reasons since the Oilers don't really have anyone they'd be worried about losing I don't think?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #33
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I assume for cap reasons since the Oilers don't really have anyone they'd be worried about losing I don't think?
Mostly. But a guy like Letestu would suck to be lost. If they could get rid of Pouliot for a pick that would be nice.

Mind you I heard this morning on the radio that Vegas is likely to only take 3 or 4 bad contracts and it will be an auction to whoever will pay the most. So who knows.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #34
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
there is going to be so much moving and shaking leading up to the expansion draft
I agree. Beyond trades with LV not to pick a player, there may be some from other teams to pick a player. The lists will be public for a few days.
I think there will be a couple flip trades - LV picks X then trades him to Y for a prospect & a pick in a predetermined deal.

Way too many moving parts to even guess what this will all look like.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #35
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Mostly. But a guy like Letestu would suck to be lost. If they could get rid of Pouliot for a pick that would be nice.

Mind you I heard this morning on the radio that Vegas is likely to only take 3 or 4 bad contracts and it will be an auction to whoever will pay the most. So who knows.
Even if you keep Letestu through the expansion draft, you're probably going to lose him when he's a UFA after next year when McDavid's new contract kicks in, especially if he keeps up this production.

I understand why you would want to move Pouliot instead of him, but Pouliot has 2 years remaining to Letestu's 1. Is it worth a draft pick to live with Pouliot one extra year? The only reason to do it is to have Pouliot's money available for McDavid's new deal, but I have a suspicion that 1 or 2 of the 6x6 club will be moved out before then anyways to make room.

Not saying it wouldn't happen, but the cost/benefit of moving Pouliot out isn't exactly a sure thing for the Oilers.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #36
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

I figured that since there's a bit more discussion of the upcoming expansion draft on the 1st page, I would re-ignite the discussion here and see if anyone else wants to do a mock draft. I'm kinda fascinated by all the "what if" scenarios that come up for each team.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #37
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect Vegas to Charles Hudon from the Habs.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #38
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I expect Vegas to Charles Hudon from the Habs.
Never heard of him. Can you elaborate?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #39
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never heard of him. Can you elaborate?
Undersized forward.
22 years old.
Has like 160 points in 200 AHL games.
4 points in 6 games with Habs.
I have no idea why a team that can't score ignores their highest scoring minor league forward.
I would take a chance on this guy compared to a Torrey Mitchell.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #40
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Silverberg starts to get a bit more attention as the Ducks player with his playoff performance.

I also think with the way the draft lottery went down any player they select at six in this draft will probably not make the team (at least they shouldn't). The results of the lottery maybe makes the take a look at a younger offensive player on the cusp.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote