Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #101
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lloris broken wrist probably misses first few games of the season

Begovic going to Chelsea makes no sense to me, he's 28 and is probably a top 10 keeper in the league, now he enters semi-retirement playing 5-10 games a year behind Courtois
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #102
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Carrick started 16 games last year, his winning percentage is great but for playing a half season I dont think his impact can be compared to Toure

I said United's is deeper, over a full season that might be better, certainly safer at the moment

I should have clarified when healthy or maybe with a best XI City's is better

Plus they probably aren't done spending yet, I don't expect them to go in to next season with just Toure, Fernandinho, and Fernando
Well, there's no convincing some of Carrick's worth. Nothing new.

I see it as, a healthy Carrick & Schwein is better than Toure and either Fernie.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #103
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how those two play together though, that's a really slow pairing, I think you need one of Schniederlein or Herrara with those two no matter what

It's a weird thing with United CMs, normally a player puts on the shirt and instantly becomes world class, but Carrick has been underrated, and before him Scholes was the best English player of his generation and never had a team built around him
Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #104
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruthless stuff from Van Gaal, he just turned a preseason friendly press conference into an episode of Game of Thrones. Absolutely slaughtered Victor Valdes in his comments, said that Valdes refused to train/play with the reserves while recovering from his injury. Said "he doesn't follow our philosophy" and "there is only one way and that is out". After confirming that Rafael can leave too because he doesn't defend well enough, he finished it up with telling on journalist "you always invent stories and write rubbish"
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #105
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Liverpool look to be set to meet the 32.5 mil release clause for Benteke. Will be an interesting signing if it goes through. I think he's a very good player, but it will be a totally different style of game then what he has played at Villa. Hopefully he can adapt and continue to score goals like he has the past few seasons. A bit risky, but I like it.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #106
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

not exactly premier league but I didn't see the europeon thread

rumors are that sportsnet world got the Canadian rights to the Bundesliga for this season

The official BuLi site lists the broadcaster for Canada as Fox Sports, Rogers and has a link that goes to Rogers site

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/watch/broadcasters/

So hopefully Rogers got a sim sub from Fox Sports and is going to put it on all those extra SNW channels
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #107
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I may have it all wrong but isn't it a case of if Sportsnet has the rights, it can go on Sportsnet World but if Sporstnet World has the rights, it can only be shown of Sportsnet World?

As an aside, I'm looking at getting STV tomorrow. Is BEin worth it? I wouldn't mind catching the odd Charlton match that gets broadcast but not sure it's worth a tenner a month.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #108
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
I may have it all wrong but isn't it a case of if Sportsnet has the rights, it can go on Sportsnet World but if Sporstnet World has the rights, it can only be shown of Sportsnet World?

As an aside, I'm looking at getting STV tomorrow. Is BEin worth it? I wouldn't mind catching the odd Charlton match that gets broadcast but not sure it's worth a tenner a month.
No they are the same, they share

premier league and CL games were shown on both (I think TSN has CL rights this year)

In terms of BeIn it's tough if your looking for specific matches because they have the championship rights, La Liga, and Serie A rights that all play Saturday

So with the championship usually all playing at the same time on Saturday on the tv they really only show 1 game a week, but they do stream a lot online
Old 07-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am stoked about Benteke, I think thats a solid buy.

At least I hope it is because Liverpool need some more goals to cover up for the defensive gaffs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #110
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting from Sid Lowe re. Ramos and DDG

https://twitter.com/sidlowe

Quote:
Keeps getting no asked about Ramos, so here's what we know (I think I've written/said all of this before, but here we go)... 1

Man Utd want Ramos. They have made a formal bid (although oddly some media here, presumably guided by RM, denied that) €40m. 2

Ramos wants to go to Man Utd, and only to them. He had told RM that. (Him being captain is not news really: it's done on longevity) 3

RM responded to that by suggesting a prohibitively high price (but not referring him to buyout clause, as usually happens). 4

RM briefing that they do not want to sell. Pressure to not sell greater after fans' reaction on day of Iker C departure 5

Man U current position: David De Gea will not be allowed to go if Ramos is not allowed to (De Gea wants to go and has agreement w RM). 6

What happens now, who knows. Long way to go until end of window. Will players pressure? Perhaps. Will either club waver? Don't know. 7
Old 07-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #111
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

with De Boer basically saying he wouldnt/couldnt stop Cillessenn if the offer came in, and with all signs pointing to DDG leaving on a free next summer anyway

Would United fans prefer the DDG + cash (I assume they would add a bit) for Ramos

or keep DDG for a year
Old 07-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #112
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
with De Boer basically saying he wouldnt/couldnt stop Cillessenn if the offer came in, and with all signs pointing to DDG leaving on a free next summer anyway

Would United fans prefer the DDG + cash (I assume they would add a bit) for Ramos

or keep DDG for a year
Keep DDG for the year.
Sign Otamendi.

Make serious performance improvements year over year, convincing Dave Saves, that Manchester is the place to be long term.

#### Madrid
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #113
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I am stoked about Benteke, I think thats a solid buy.

At least I hope it is because Liverpool need some more goals to cover up for the defensive gaffs.
the only thing I would worry about is Liverpool have never really crossed the ball under Rodgers

big change to playing style to facilitate him
Old 07-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #114
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Quote:
In terms of BeIn it's tough if your looking for specific matches because they have the championship rights, La Liga, and Serie A rights that all play Saturday

So with the championship usually all playing at the same time on Saturday on the tv they really only show 1 game a week, but they do stream a lot online
After trying to follow Norwich all of last season, beIN is definitely hit and miss. They typically broadcast two to three games a week - a Friday night match, a Saturday afternoon one, and maybe a Saturday evening or Sunday match. Generally speaking, whatever Sky shows in the UK is what beIN broadcasts here. But as mentioned, there often isn't capacity on the main channel, so much of it gets streamed. I subscribed to the online product because Shaw doesn't even carry beIN, so I was able to watch all of the Norwich games (that were shown - maybe one every two months!) live via the web site. But it costs $20 for 30 days. I would basically buy a 30-day pass for each Norwich game and then let it expire until the next match. In the end it was worth it because I got both legs of the playoff semis, and then the playoff final.

Bookmark this page for an up-to-date listing: http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/tvgames.aspx

But you'll see that Charlton appears exactly zero times, unfortunately. There is a definitely bias towards some of the upper teams. Seems like Derby is their perpetual favourite and has been for the past few seasons.

All of that being said, if the match is being televised by Sky in the UK, it will be "available" somewhere on the internet. I personally would rather pay the money for a nice, HD picture, but there are obviously other ways to do it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #115
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
After trying to follow Norwich all of last season, beIN is definitely hit and miss.

But you'll see that Charlton appears exactly zero times, unfortunately. There is a definitely bias towards some of the upper teams. Seems like Derby is their perpetual favourite and has been for the past few seasons.
Thanks for the advice.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #116
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

or keep DDG for a year
Disagree with cam_wmh, I'd prefer Ramos. De Gea will go anyway sooner or later, so if United can somehow get a commanding centre back in Ramos in return, you go for that.

If they can't get Ramos, then yeah, keep De Gea for another year.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #117
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks Ramos is tremendously overrated?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #118
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he might be a bit overrated, but in my opinion he's easily one of the 5 best center backs worldwide, with Thiago Silva, Jerome Boateng, Diego Godin and Mats Hummels the other 4 ... no idea in what order, but to me, those are a tier above the rest (Kompany, Pique, Varane, Miranda, Chiellini etc). I don't like Ramos at all when it comes to his antics, but he's an excellent center back.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #119
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN and Sportsnet have released their broadcast schedules for August and September:

Link to TSN

Link to Sportsnet
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #120
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

sportsnet confirmed, this is great

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/germa...bayenr-munich/

Quote:
Sportsnet announced today that it has secured a five-year, multiplatform rights agreement with Fox Sports 1 to become the exclusive Canadian broadcaster of the Bundesliga through to the 2019-20 season.

Sportsnet’s Bundesliga agreement includes broadcast rights to the German Supercup, coverage of all 306 league matches (as well as the Bundesliga relegation playoffs) and highlight shows throughout the season, including the weekly Bundesliga Matchday.
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post: