Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
According to Bild, Bastian Schweinsteiger to United is a done deal. Honestly, I can't get excited about this at all. Almost 31 years old, often injured, clearly not as good as a couple years ago. If United sign Schweinsteiger instead of Schneiderlin, van Gaal is one big idiot.
I see.

Quote:
Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has rubbished talk of a swap deal involving Bastian Schweinsteiger and Manchester United's Angel Di Maria.

But Rummenigge has moved to dispel the idea of a potential swap deal between the two clubs, insisting it "has never been discussed".

"For once I can completely deny that,” he said. "It has never been discussed and was never part of anyone's thinking, neither here in Munich nor in Manchester.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...aria-rubbished

So it looks like no Shaqiri to Stoke, but they've added Shay Given, Van Ginkel and are close to Glen Johnson.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bastian Schweinsteiger is poised to sign for Manchester United from Bayern Munich, with German newspaper Bild claiming the switch is imminent.

The fee is believed to be around 20m euros and the midfielder will sign a three-year deal worth 10m euros per annum.
http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #63
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, that's horrible overpayment in every aspect. And here I thought United were doing sensible and smart business this summer (Memphis, Darmian and probably Schneiderlin) and then they go out and completely lose it like that. Reminder to myself: never praise Woodward too early, he'll surely find a way to completely eff it up.

devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
wow, that's horrible overpayment in every aspect. And here I thought United were doing sensible and smart business this summer (Memphis, Darmian and probably Schneiderlin) and then they go out and completely lose it like that. Reminder to myself: never praise Woodward too early, he'll surely find a way to completely eff it up.

Its just money and you're getting a really good (when healthy) player.

Its not great, but it isnt the end of the world either.

What'll really chafe your ass is when hes injured for weeks on end but then suddenly becomes healthy and goes on to excel for Germany.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #65
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

to be fair, my scorn for Bayern Munich probably clouds my judgement over this. I know he's still a pretty good player, but this doesn't address any of Uniteds biggest needs right now. United really need a defensive midfielder to replace Carrick and I highly doubt that Schweinsteiger is the guy to do that. It's basically van Gaals expensive luxury signing that isn't needed at all and that's what irks me with several huge holes in the squad to be filled (centre back, holding midfielder, striker).

Plus, like I said before: 31 years old, injury-prone, "post apex".
Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
to be fair, my scorn for Bayern Munich probably clouds my judgement over this. I know he's still a pretty good player, but this doesn't address any of Uniteds biggest needs right now. United really need a defensive midfielder to replace Carrick and I highly doubt that Schweinsteiger is the guy to do that. It's basically van Gaals expensive luxury signing that isn't needed at all and that's what irks me with several huge holes in the squad to be filled (centre back, holding midfielder, striker).

Plus, like I said before: 31 years old, injury-prone, "post apex".
Definitely, hes a guy that supposed to put them over the top and hes probably not it. I wonder what he did during LvG's Bayern tenure to earn himself an easy €30M.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #67
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

United is getting the best CM (when healthy) in the world. He'll have a couple solid years left in him. Van Gaal is the manager who flipped Schweinsteiger to CM from RM and really made him who he is.

I admit to being pretty disappointed, Schweinsteiger and Muller wre the two guys I hoped would never leave, but I'll for sure be following the Premiership a lot more this year (go United?). This transfer was 6 years in the making, pretty sure he's been rumoured to United since 2009ish
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #68
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sounds like the Shaqiri to Stoke deal is dead?
yep, he doesn't want to go there. He'll now join Schalke apparently.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
United is getting the best CM (when healthy) in the world. He'll have a couple solid years left in him. Van Gaal is the manager who flipped Schweinsteiger to CM from RM and really made him who he is.

I admit to being pretty disappointed, Schweinsteiger and Muller wre the two guys I hoped would never leave, but I'll for sure be following the Premiership a lot more this year (go United?). This transfer was 6 years in the making, pretty sure he's been rumoured to United since 2009ish
You're dead to me. But I agree, hes still an excellent player and he isnt costing a fortune.

If United were to make a huge push in the Champion's League I could see him being a difference-maker. Hes the definition of a big-game player but I dont know how relevant that is because hes been really inconsistent over the last year or so.

Quote:
yep, he doesn't want to go there. He'll now join Schalke apparently.
Probably a wise decision.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #70
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Probably a wise decision.
HA! No bias there or anything
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #71
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
HA! No bias there or anything
Possibility of bias or not, Schalke is a far more prestigious destination than Stoke.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #72
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Possibility of bias or not, Schalke is a far more prestigious destination than Stoke.
not sure about that. It used to be like that, but Schalke has been a coaches graveyard lately and their manager Horst Heldt is an absolute joke. Stoke, on the other hand, has been on the rise.

Rummenigge has just confirmed that Schweinsteiger to United is a done deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #73
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best of luck Fussballgott. As much as it sucks to see you leave the team is always bigger than the players and it is nice to see that they respected your decision to take on a new challenge
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #74
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
not sure about that. It used to be like that, but Schalke has been a coaches graveyard lately and their manager Horst Heldt is an absolute joke. Stoke, on the other hand, has been on the rise.

Rummenigge has just confirmed that Schweinsteiger to United is a done deal.
Hah! Because they placed 6th last year? 14th 4 years ago? They're almost always in the top 6. I'm not a Schalke fan at all, but to say that Stoke is more prestigious is ridiculous.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:19 AM   #75
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Hah! Because they placed 6th last year? 14th 4 years ago? They're almost always in the top 6. I'm not a Schalke fan at all, but to say that Stoke is more prestigious is ridiculous.
I'm not saying that Stoke is more prestigious. I'm just saying that Stoke is on the rise while Schalke has been a three-ring circus in recent years. It was shameful how they got rid of Jens Keller only to get Roberto di Matteo in ... which of course didn't end well and now they have changed coaches again (Breitenreiter). Plus there's constant unrest behind the scenes (with Boateng, for example). Not exactly a stable club in recent times despite an okay 6th place finish last season. Just one of those clubs which have potential but always fail to make the best of it.

And don't sell Stoke short ... they have done a good job in recent years and finished 9th in the Premier League, which (in my mind at least) is comparable to finish 6th in the Bundesliga.

Last edited by devo22; 07-12-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #76
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool have sold Raheem Sterling to Manchester City for £49m (~ €68m). Congrats Liverpool, that's an unbelievable deal!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...y-for-49m.html
Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #77
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

QPR get 20%!
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #78
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

so now they take that money, minus what goes to Rangers, and spend it on Bentekkers?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #79
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a huge price IMO
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #80
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent. They moved a player that didnt want to be there and was a distraction and got top dollar for him.

Couldnt be happier.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: