Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #481
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Actually it's pretty close to what he was projected to get. He was a 3WAR pitcher last year... if he can be that again then it's a bargain.
he had never been higher than 1.9 before, and he gained most of his WAR in the NL

Quote:
The batters Happ faced as a Mariner have averaged a .329 wOBA against lefties over the past three years. The batters Happ has faced as a Pirate have averaged a .304 wOBA against lefties over the past three years. That split is even bigger. Happ, in short, has faced worse hitters. Significantly worse hitters. He’s faced more lefties, but he’s also just faced worse righties. It’s not at all like every opponent since joining the Pirates has been bad — Happ has had to deal with, say, Paul Goldschmidt — but there’s no getting around this point. When opponents are worse, performance is better. That’s always true, given enough time.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #482
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually dont mind them not going big on Price or another SP, because they will have Stroman as an Ace and in general I think a rotation like they have set up now isnt terrible

1 Ace, and the 3 guys behind him have proven to be innings eaters

But I hope this means they are adding at least 2-3 more Bullpen pieces
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #483
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
So it's safe to say the rotation will be Stroman, Estrada, Dickey, Happ, Chavez?

Yeah, that's not going to cut it.
Sanchez or Osuna could be in the mix and I still think that the Jays will move a big bat for an arm.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skaloper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #484
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
Sanchez or Osuna could be in the mix and I still think that the Jays will move a big bat for an arm.
Having just acquired Happ and Chavez, I would be very surprised if they do anything else. I'm pretty sure what you see is what you get. I would wager that Sanchez and Osuna are going to be bullpen guys again, at least to start. I could see them picking up another lefty for the pen, but that's about it.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #485
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The problem with that is none of Estrada, Happ or Chavez have a track record of eating innings, much less being successful prior to last season. This could easily be a disaster, we're basically relying on older guys to prove that last season was the new norm despite years of evidence to the contrary. Pretty much a series of half measures any way you slice it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I actually dont mind them not going big on Price or another SP, because they will have Stroman as an Ace and in general I think a rotation like they have set up now isnt terrible

1 Ace, and the 3 guys behind him have proven to be innings eaters

But I hope this means they are adding at least 2-3 more Bullpen pieces
Old 11-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #486
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a few thoughts on this. Firstly, I don't mind this signing at all. It's an expensive #4-5 starter, but on a championship team, they need to do it. Whether Happ can bring it in the AL is another question, but he put up some amazing numbers the second half.

That brings us to what the next move will be. I can't see this starting rotation being the starting rotation day one. There MUST be a major signing or trade to get a legit #1. Stroman under no circumstances is that guy - yet. I still think Edwin or Jose get dealt in order to shore up the bullpen/starting rotation, but I think that only happens if Price can't be signed. If Price signs, the pen has to be developed, and that'll have to be done through minor deals here and there ie: moving Saunders, Colabello, etc.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #487
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty frightening rotation. Could go either way, if this is the final product. Of course, Happ could easily be a long man out of the pen if a younger guy forces his way into the rotation.

1. Stroman
2. Estrada
3. Dickey
4. Chavez
5. Happ / Hutchison / Sanchez / Osuna?

Yikes.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #488
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with that is none of Estrada, Happ or Chavez have a track record of eating innings, much less being successful prior to last season. This could easily be a disaster, we're basically relying on older guys to prove that last season was the new norm despite years of evidence to the contrary. Pretty much a series of half measures any way you slice it.
Yeah, that was a classic AA move when he first became GM. Sign/trade for a bunch of guys who are injury prone or projects, and when it doesn't work out for those same reasons, it's was an excuse at seasons end. It drove me crazy when every year we heard, if x player wasn't injured it could have been different. Well, you knew they were an injury concern coming in, don't say that wasn't foreseeable here. With Chavez I'm pretty concerned if he's on the opening day roster. I'd deal him to get better long guns in the bullpen.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #489
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Pretty frightening rotation. Could go either way, if this is the final product. Of course, Happ could easily be a long man out of the pen if a younger guy forces his way into the rotation.

1. Stroman
2. Estrada
3. Dickey
4. Chavez
5. Happ / Hutchison / Sanchez / Osuna?

Yikes.
You think that's good? Personally I don't as it's missing the Ace. I've all but given up on Hutchison, and I think Sanchez and Osuna fit in well where they are.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #490
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

That there is one of the worst rotations in the entire MLB.

Everything would have to go perfectly for it to be just okay.

Another year of 75-80 wins coming up.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #491
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Yeah, that was a classic AA move when he first became GM. Sign/trade for a bunch of guys who are injury prone or projects, and when it doesn't work out for those same reasons, it's was an excuse at seasons end. It drove me crazy when every year we heard, if x player wasn't injured it could have been different. Well, you knew they were an injury concern coming in, don't say that wasn't foreseeable here. With Chavez I'm pretty concerned if he's on the opening day roster. I'd deal him to get better long guns in the bullpen.
Yep, pretty frustrating. I guess we could see Chavez in the pen, he's been there most of his career. Happ will be in the rotation IMO. I suppose a bat could be moved for an arm but I doubt it. I think Happ is Price's replacement essentially and they're just hoping for the best with the rest of them. Stroman is the only one I have tons of confidence in even though Estrada was really impressive last year. The worry with him is that he starts to get figured out. A guy like him has such a thin margin of error, he could go either way. We need him to replicate his 2015 season except we need 190-200 innings this time. I'm not sure if that's too much too expect, it kind of seems like it is.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #492
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
You think that's good? Personally I don't as it's missing the Ace. I've all but given up on Hutchison, and I think Sanchez and Osuna fit in well where they are.
Good? No. In fact, I said it was pretty frightening.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #493
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Did Happ get better after he left the Jays? Seems a weird pickup.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #494
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Happ was great down the stretch last season wasn't he, IIRC? But I guess that was the N.L., so take it with a grain of salt, hope he can continue doing something similar next season.

Not a huge fan of the signing, especially if that's it for the starters. Need to bolster the pen or something, anything. Can't see it being the last move of the off-season.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #495
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If this is the starting rotation in April, this an absolute slap in tbe face to every Jays fan across this country.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #496
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an ok signing, overpay but if he pitches to potential it works fine. I would guess Price is out now but you never know. If that's it for starters then you obviously need to upgrade the pen.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #497
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually like the signing of Happ. I was disappointed when they traded him last time. That said, if this is their answer to not signing Price, that is complete BS. I'd like to give them the benefit of a doubt and say this is simply a depth signing, but I've seen this show for too many years.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #498
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Happ has 4 of his last 5 seasons over 144, and in that 144 season he was a reliever partially

Estrada has 150/182 the last 2 years, and 130/140 the 2 years before that

Ill take 150 innings out of the 3/4 pitchers, when Dickey is going to give close to 200+ and hopefully Stroman gets near it as well
Old 11-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #499
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I actually like the signing of Happ. I was disappointed when they traded him last time. That said, if this is their answer to not signing Price, that is complete BS. I'd like to give them the benefit of a doubt and say this is simply a depth signing, but I've seen this show for too many years.
I think they're already at 140m with the addition of Happ. I doubt anything else of significance happens, barring a trade.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #500
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The signing isolated in itself isn't bad in terms of value/years.

The problem mainly has to do with the fact the Jays have a #2 and 4 #4/5 guys now. Estrada likely will regress, and Happ is more likely to be the Seattle/Toronto version not the Pittsburgh version.

If things go perfectly (no regression) then they will be fine.

As the Flames have shown, regression can bite you hard in the ass though.

If they do struggle, the Flames will only have Stroman as a quality guy. The team will have to rely largely on generating a ton of offense to win games.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote