Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #101
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The world is bigger than your field of view.
The point is I feel I'm of the same opinions and views as most farmers and pay attention to the same things. Why do you think there's a sudden uproar? Unless the government has made sure they've let the cities know but not rural areas?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #102
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormageddon View Post
The point is I feel I'm of the same opinions and views as most farmers and pay attention to the same things. Why do you think there's a sudden uproar? Unless the government has made sure they've let the cities know but not rural areas?
Via City TV?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #103
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormageddon View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #104
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm posting this solely because there was a few posters on here claiming that the Royalty Review, was only a review and there was nothing to worry about.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...-expect-change

Quote:
Energy economist Peter Tertzakian of ARC Financial Corp. told reporters at a business conference in Lake Louise on Friday that industry members who called for zero change to the royalty regime in Alberta will be disappointed when the results are turned over to Energy Minister Marg McCuaig-Boyd before the end of the year.

“I am confident that ‘segments’ of the industry will remain competitive,” he said, when asked if the industry will be able to compete on costs with burgeoning new shale plays in the United States under the recommended new rules.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Should be interesting, if they don't do it right, then the rest of the NDP term is going to be an extended countdown to destruction.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #106
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch. That's... not optimistic language.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #107
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we quit cherry picking quotes. His presentation is that the current system is flawed and doesn't incentivize the right behaviours.

Quote:
During his speech, Tertzakian said retaining the existing royalty regime — designed to resolve “unintended consequences” from the system brought in under premier Ed Stelmach eight years ago — isn’t an option.

“It’s way too complicated. It’s got what I call distortions. It doesn’t give the right incentives to go after the highest value products,” he listed.

“It’s not transparent. It’s ephemeral, the programs expire. How is that supposed to be something that breeds any sort of certainty in what we’re supposed to be doing going forward?”

He said the royalty rate on a well in Alberta can vary between 10 and 40 per cent depending upon what mix of oil, gas and natural gas liquids it produces, something that isn’t known before drilling begins.

“There are people out there who are scared to drill a well because they don’t know what their rate is going to be.”
The article overall is quite positive
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #108
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/8666500

Not surprising but another out of Province chief of staff hire by the NDP, this one is a former communist and was in Jack Layton's inner circle. Sounds like a great representative of the residents of the province , awesome!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #109
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How does one leave the communist party? Do you need something notarized? Do you just let your membership run out and avoid the calls and junk mail about signing back up? Is it for life, like being a rider fan?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #110
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
How does one leave the communist party? Do you need something notarized? Do you just let your membership run out and avoid the calls and junk mail about signing back up? Is it for life, like being a rider fan?
there is a secret handshake
Old 11-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #111
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 1984 one would suspect edgelords like her would be Communist Party fodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #112
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Tertzakian is one of industry's most respected. I'm pretty well versed in how royalties work, and quite frankly he's absolutely right. Some changes would actually be welcomed by industry for increased certainty from what we have now. That said you just hope it doesn't render everything uneconomic.

Without giving too much away, currently, our company is in some of Albertas best plays, and if you layer in G&A and taxes and the full cycle costs, nothing we do is economic. We might as well go buy TBills.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
usually you serve a prison term in a camp of moderate re-education, of course under Comrade Stalin you'd get a bullet behind the ear.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #114
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/SUNMattDykstra/s...93095284494336

Quote:
Wildrose has introduced Bill 206: The Recall Act to allow MLA recall if 20% of electors sign. $5000 fee. #ableg https://t.co/52FO08UTEA
Hella salty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #115
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

On the surface level, it seems like they're trying to give themselves more power in the legislature. I doubt they would table this if they were the governing party.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #116
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

A few Calgary NDP MLAs might be in jeopardy if this bill passes. The NPD won't allow it.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
On the surface level, it seems like they're trying to give themselves more power in the legislature. I doubt they would table this if they were the governing party.
Wasn't this one of the election planks when Smith was running the party? I seem to remember Wildrose talking about recall rights.

It doesn't much matter, the NDP will kill it in its grave giving the Wildrose more fodder to use.

"Whats the matter bra, scared of little old democracy"

Then they do the Hulk flex.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #118
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wasn't this one of the election planks when Smith was running the party? I seem to remember Wildrose talking about recall rights.

It doesn't much matter, the NDP will kill it in its grave giving the Wildrose more fodder to use.

The wildrose are dead, even if their supporters don't know it yet. Any "fodder" will be used by the PCs.

PC's will govern or be the official opposition next election, and the wildrose will be reduced to shambles.

Unite the right can't exist under the wildrose banner, and so, goodbye the interesting experiment that we called the Wildrose.

Last edited by Kavvy; 11-30-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #119
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

The main element of democracy was the general election.

Hulk flex? More like poor losers.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #120
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
The wildrose are dead, even if their supporters don't know it yet.

PC's will govern or be the official opposition next election, and the wildrose will be reduced to shambles.

Unite the right can't exist under the wildrose banner, and so, go-bye the interesting experiment that we called the wildrose.
Sorry for double post, maybe I should of edited this in my previous one.

But.. if I am right in my quote, the largest thing the Wildrose accomplished prior to their move to obscurity was to get the NDP elected.

Create a party angry at the establishment - campaign on no tax increase - split the right - create an NDP majority -> AB has a climate change plan, bracketed tax and increased corporate tax.

Because they existed, many things they strongly disagree with were implemented.

Thanks Wildrose!
Closed Thread