Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Ask An Educator
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:
Default Do you think gym class should be a (manditory) part of school?

There are many recent studies in neuroscience that report movement and exercise are imperative for brain functions and for learning in general.

Traditionally, schools have provided opportunities for kids to get some exercise through participation in gym class. However, with new visions of what 21st Century schools might look like, some people are asking if a traditional gym class still needs to be part of a regular school day. The argument is that schools should concentrate on academic skills and leave things like gym class out because kids can get enough exercise outside of school by playing with friends, participating in organized sports, and doing things like skateboarding, skiing or dancing.

Personally, I always loved gym class and enjoyed playing various school sports so I would be sad to see it go.

What are your thoughts... Should gym class stay in schools? If so, should all kids take it or should it be a choice?

Last edited by DataDoxy; 09-25-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any reduction further than we already have in physical activity will turn a large portion of the population into tech-savvy slug-people.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it should be mandatory, but I've always thought it shouldn't be part of the grade average.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a teacher, absolutely!!

I see a HUGE difference in my students ability to work immediately after phys ed or lunch recess.

Also, exercise outside of school is also on the decline. So if they don't do it in school, many kids wont at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Gym class should be manditory every day school is in session. Students should be taught the health benefits of exercise and how it will improve the other parts of their lives. More importantly, encourage them to find activities they will enjoy and will keep on doing.

Back in my HS years (late 70's) intramural sports activities were always going on during the lunch hour. Anything from basketball, floor hockey, etc was open to any student who wanted to play.

The biggest hinderance to attaining the above is computers, social media etc. Having grown up in an age where computers weren't around we spent most of our time outdoors doing some sort of physcal activity.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely mandatory until HS. Gym class provided exposure to a ton of different activities that I ended up loving that I NEVER would have experienced otherwise.

People worried about kids not learning enough / focusing on academics at school should target the four day weeks that have become the norm (no firsthand experience, just what I hear).
Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Yes, it should be mandatory, but I've always thought it shouldn't be part of the grade average.
I'd say the issue is with how it is graded, not that it is part of the average. It should be about effort, not results. I was never quite as good as many other kids in sports, and struggled to even get a bronze in the Participaction challenge. (Flexed arm hang ring a bell with anybody?)

I would say that I pretty much gave up trying by the middle of elementary, and then didn't play much sports in junior high and high school. However if students were rewarded based upon their effort, maybe I would have tried harder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'd say the issue is with how it is graded, not that it is part of the average.
That would likely be a better solution. The only issue I'd see with that is that grading on effort is somewhat objective, but I think that's better than the way it stands now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
Definitely mandatory until HS. Gym class provided exposure to a ton of different activities that I ended up loving that I NEVER would have experienced otherwise.

People worried about kids not learning enough / focusing on academics at school should target the four day weeks that have become the norm (no firsthand experience, just what I hear).

I would suggest that HS is as good a time as any for gym to be mandatory.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'd say the issue is with how it is graded, not that it is part of the average. It should be about effort, not results.

That's pretty much what the grades are being based on. Those students "failing" gym are the students who refuse to participate and sit on the side with a negative attitude.

I'd say 90% of phys ed teachers grade based purely on attitude and effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Absolutely.

But, forcing kids to work on technique 80% of the class, and allowing them to actually play the sport the other 20% isn't exactly a good way of getting them moving either.

Best gym class I remember being part of was an all boys class in grade 11 where for 2 weeks we played lacrosse. Got pretty intense, but we spent 90 min running our asses off.

The other problem is lack of weight lifting training. There is no reason the basic movements can't be taught. Deadlift, squat, bench press. These 3 movements can be staples for any workout program the rest of someone's life. And face it, 90% of us won't have time to be involved in sports, and the only time we have is the 30 min training session 5x per week. We should be building that foundation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #12
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Exactly what Azure said, please and thank you.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Guest1

I think it's beneficial that my daughter will get a chance to try sports that I sure as heck won't be playing with her... basketball, volleyball, lacrosse. Any dryland sport is beyond my knowledge. But I think she will grow up to have the body for sports like that. And if she can get a scholarship? Less money I have to fork out for her edjumacation.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely.. and Highschool as well... This was my favourite class of highschool. Keeps you fit, builds leadership and teamwork skills, a stress releiver and our camping trip of my last year was the highlight of my 3 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Absolutely.

But, forcing kids to work on technique 80% of the class, and allowing them to actually play the sport the other 20% isn't exactly a good way of getting them moving either.

Best gym class I remember being part of was an all boys class in grade 11 where for 2 weeks we played lacrosse. Got pretty intense, but we spent 90 min running our asses off.

The other problem is lack of weight lifting training. There is no reason the basic movements can't be taught. Deadlift, squat, bench press. These 3 movements can be staples for any workout program the rest of someone's life. And face it, 90% of us won't have time to be involved in sports, and the only time we have is the 30 min training session 5x per week. We should be building that foundation.

There were some PE teachers at Beaverbrook that clearly had no idea what a weightroom was.......

Also, i agree with you.

PE should be about learning lifelong activities/sports/movements.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love sports and being active and I think it is should be a very important aspects of everyone's lives.

That being said some things certainly need to go away and some things need to be added to the program. Dance needs to go away. More racquet sports need to be added (tennis, squash, racquetball, etc.)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Absolutely.

Agreed. If I could give 15 year old me advice, I'd tell him that Deadlift, Squat and Press are the holy trinity of weight lifting and are keys to the promised land.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #18
stormwolf
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Definitely.. and Highschool as well... This was my favourite class of highschool. Keeps you fit, builds leadership and teamwork skills, a stress releiver and our camping trip of my last year was the highlight of my 3 years.
I went to Western Canada HS, and the majority of the IB population stopped taking gym after the mandatory grade 10 one. Unhealthiest bunch I've ever seen (pretty sure not exercising makes the academic stress that much worse)

Physical education needs to be mandatory all the way until first year uni
Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 AM   #19
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Gym class should be manditory every day school is in session. Students should be taught the health benefits of exercise and how it will improve the other parts of their lives. More importantly, encourage them to find activities they will enjoy and will keep on doing.

Back in my HS years (late 70's) intramural sports activities were always going on during the lunch hour. Anything from basketball, floor hockey, etc was open to any student who wanted to play.

The biggest hinderance to attaining the above is computers, social media etc. Having grown up in an age where computers weren't around we spent most of our time outdoors doing some sort of physcal activity.
I support gym class being taught and having as much importance being put on it as English. Both could benefit from a greater importance being placed on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
V
Old 01-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #20
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gym should be removed and replaced with an hour of a competitive sport, with a full league, division and stats. Your grade will be based on how well you and your team does.