Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Kipper, I don;t really care much about his GAA. If the team wins and his GAA is bad, nobody cares. But if the team loses because the defense sucks, everyone looks at his GAA and points the finger directly at him. Maybe the finger should be pointed at Butler for the last 3 season or even Sutter for putting him with JBo for that span in time.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #42
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Iginla should be a high-level complimentary player now, rather than the go-to guy.
Exactly. But that is never going to happen as long as he is a Calgary Flame because clearly this organization is hell bent on strapping the organization to Iggy's back damn the torpedoes or the standings. I'm confused as to why Iginla wants to be a Flame anymore, it makes me question his burning desire to win a Stanley Cup. Doesn't he want to go to a team where his blood, sweat and tears will be possibly rewarded with a ring? Even if Iginla had a career year, that would still not be even close to enough to win a Cup in Calgary, we don't have the supporting cast.

....and for Iggy's sake I just want to see him win a Cup he deserves it. I don't think I have ever seen a more loyal player, he is too loyal to this club.

Last edited by zamler; 02-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #43
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
That sounds like a typical Iggy, nice guy response to your Oiler fan friend. He's too classy to say " No way f### the Oilers"
Actually, He is not an oilers fan, they are both Flames Fans.

Also, I had a feeling most of you would be unhappy about him retiring as an Oiler. That is one of the reason's why I kept this a secret for so long and didn't bother posting it on CP because I knew what the response would be like.

I know this won't happen but in case Iginla does decide to do what I just heard, I hope he doesn't get boo'ed.... rofl.

Last edited by hkstylez; 02-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #44
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a few issues at play,

1.) Age. 35/36... it may be this year, if not it could be next year. But there will come a day when both decline due to age, and you can't blame them for that. Iginla has to look at this team, and the absence of impact core players in their prime years... otherwise he will end his career like how it started, missing the playoffs for 7 straight years. We're on 3/7 so far... this year could be 4.

2.) Bob Hartley... our defensive system is atrociousness. Yes, we're seeing more of a 2-way game, but there is no structure. Maybe its early in the season and Bob Hartley pulls a Jaques Lamaire on this team... but Kiprusoff is being hung out to dry.

3.) Physically soft team. Like pillow soft. You can't expect the 35, going on 36, guy to be your bull in a china shop.

4.) Where is Cammalleri? He is being paid (pro-rated) $7M.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #45
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
Actually, He is not an oilers fan, they are both Flames Fans.
Oh, well then you're trolling.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #46
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes and no. No because they are only two people on a team of 18.

Yes because with these two still with the team , management will not allow themselves to do the scorched earth rebuild so many would like to see. With Iggy here they will continue to build around him instead of actually building a team built to win regardless of what their name is.

Kipper is a weird situation because his performance the last few years covered up so many glaring holes in this team that they were blinded by the promise of playoffs yet falling short each time, which is understandable because having a hot kipper in the playoffs could certainly get you on a good run. Without him we would likely have seen a total rebuild and a very oilers esque team this year and the next couple.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yes and no. No because they are only two people on a team of 18.

Yes because with these two still with the team , management will not allow themselves to do the scorched earth rebuild so many would like to see. With Iggy here they will continue to build around him instead of actually building a team built to win regardless of what their name is.

Kipper is a weird situation because his performance the last few years covered up so many glaring holes in this team that they were blinded by the promise of playoffs yet falling short each time, which is understandable because having a hot kipper in the playoffs could certainly get you on a good run. Without him we would likely have seen a total rebuild and a very oilers esque team this year and the next couple.
Barring a massive turnaround, it looks like we'll see this soon enough.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Oh, well then you're trolling.
Trolling? really? are you frigging kidding me?
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #49
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would not be even slightly surprised if Kipper is simply burnt out, especially mentally. You can only go so many years playing in front of a questionable (or worse) defense before you just throw in the towel.

I'm amazing Kiprusoff has kept his game at such a high level for this long honestly. But knowing Miikka, he still has some god like performances left in him.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
With Kipper, I don;t really care much about his GAA. If the team wins and his GAA is bad, nobody cares. But if the team loses because the defense sucks, everyone looks at his GAA and points the finger directly at him. Maybe the finger should be pointed at Butler for the last 3 season or even Sutter for putting him with JBo for that span in time.
Nope.

Kipper has been consistently letting in stinkers.

Chris Buttler has averaged 16:00 minutes a game, which makes him 5th on the team. I'm not sure how you can blame a bottom pairing defenceman for the fact our team is tied with Winnipeg for dead last in the league for goals against.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #51
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A bit off topic here, I'm probably gonna get an earful from this, but I am just quoting what I heard from a buddy of mine.

How would most of you casual/hardcore fans feel about Iginla retiring as an Edmonton Oiler instead of a Calgary Flames? I am saying this because my buddy is friends with a friend who's wife hangs out with Iginla's wife regularly. The two couples went out to dinner one night and chatted up.

My buddies friend decided to ask Iggy to see if there was gonna be hockey this season (This dinner happened before the Lockout.). Iggy responded back by saying that he hopes there will be hockey and that maybe one day before he retire's, he would like to play for the Oilers for 1 season and retire there.

Since Iginla is from Edmonton, I guess it does make sense that he wants to play for the Oilers for a season and retire, he did not mention anything about trying to a win a cup there, just wanted to retire as an Oilers.

And since Iggy is a UFA this season, does he peace out and sign with Edmonton?

Remember, This is not coming from me, I am just quoting what my buddy has told me.
Not a friggin chance..this is all hearsay
skcli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #52
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Nope.

Kipper has been consistently letting in stinkers.

Chris Buttler has averaged 16:00 minutes a game, which makes him 5th on the team. I'm not sure how you can blame a bottom pairing defenceman for the fact our team is tied with Winnipeg for dead last in the league for goals against.
Did those 16 minutes result in a goals against in any of those loses?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #53
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think they're a problem. I just don't think they're a solution...anymore..
Dx54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #54
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trolling? really? are you frigging kidding me?
Not your friend, but the person asking - was that person a Oilers fan?

Even if Iginla wanted to retire with the Oilers, he is way too savvy to say something like wanting to retire with the Oilers to a Flames fan. Iginla is a company man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #55
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The OP's argument seems to be that Kipper and Iggy aren't the problem because they tend to get better later in the season.

That's dumb. Right now, they are the problem. Mostly, it's Kipper who is killing the Flames - it's far easier to overcome the approximately 2 goals that Iginla should've scored than it is the approximately 9 goals that Kipper should've prevented). In virtually every team stat there is that is not closely tied to Kipper's save percentage, the Flames are good enough to be in playoff position.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #56
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcli View Post
Not a friggin chance..this is all hearsay
The guy has a friend who has a friend whose wife hangs out with Iginla's wife. The wives are friends, not the husbands so much.

Jarome had the misfortune of having his wife's friends's husband over at his house. I know how much I love most of my spouse's girlfriends significant others, I imagine Iginla was equally enthralled with this guy's conversation points while the wives talked about the Real Housewives of Vancouver and ruminated on when the series might come to Calgary.....
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Did those 16 minutes result in a goals against in any of those loses?
I'm sure he was on the ice for goals against. How many of those goals against you can say "resulted" from Butler specifically is another matter.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #58
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

haha we make this thread and Iginla pots one right away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #59
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Better start posting one about him every game.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #60
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody noticed that he switched to a CCM stick rather than his usual Easton twigs?

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renny For This Useful Post: