Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #1201
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The MLS is coming along nicely as a league, and I'd love to see a team here. The problem is, Calgary is a graveyard for professional soccer, and even the talk last year of a NASL team starting up here (an important first step) is doomed from the start because of inadequate venues. Playing at McMahon would kill it before it begins.
I'd support an MLS team much more than an NASL team...if I'm going to pay money for something, I want the quality to be has high as possible, and the MLS is as good as its gets in North America. With NASL...might as well just go to a local park and watch some of the pickup games, or go watch community/school soccer.

The lack of even a half-decent soccer stadium is definitely an issue.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #1202
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very cool roof, I suppose they lower the roof for hitmen and rougneck games too?

However, the arena bowls are a little too cookie cutter for me in that rendering.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #1203
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It's probably just a conceptual rendering of what things could be, not the actual design. Who knows who put it together.
Most likely the creator placed the Flames branding as a marketing piece for his company.

It in no secret that one of the few and next potential arenas to be built in North America is in Calgary. It keeps them on the Flames radar.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #1204
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't take what you saw in that video of what actually is getting built. From what I understand, that was a very, very high level conceptual idea created a while ago. You could have slapped any logo on centre ice in that arena; the point was an arena with moveable ceilings.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #1205
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'd support an MLS team much more than an NASL team...if I'm going to pay money for something, I want the quality to be has high as possible, and the MLS is as good as its gets in North America. With NASL...might as well just go to a local park and watch some of the pickup games, or go watch community/school soccer.

The lack of even a half-decent soccer stadium is definitely an issue.
Oh I agree. Most people would rather watch the best that is available on the continent. But the reality is, no A-level professional league is going to enter a market where B and even C level franchises can't even last more than a year or two.

But would I rather sit and watch an MLS game over an NASL game? Absolutely, yes. It's just a chicken and egg thing.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #1206
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, no new update?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #1207
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I wouldn't take what you saw in that video of what actually is getting built. From what I understand, that was a very, very high level conceptual idea created a while ago. You could have slapped any logo on centre ice in that arena; the point was an arena with moveable ceilings.
But but it had Flames into on the jumbotron as well.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #1208
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm almost more excited for the stadium than the arena. Going to be a beaut
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #1209
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
I want an NFL team in Calgary
This is probably the closest you'll get
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #1210
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
So, no new update?

No. Did you miss the post this thread was bumped with?
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #1211
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
The information I posted is exactly how it was presented to my source. Was just a quick mention, but from a VERY reliable person.
Was this before or after he bought his Julius Original and hotdog?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #1212
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This makes me think the rumor the Flames are looking at a dual purpose stadium is true.

Moveable ceilings is the key for that. Ceiling comes down for a 20k hockey stadium and then transforms for a 40k capacity football stadium.

Not sure how the lower bowl would have to collapse to make room for a football field, and hopefully whatever they do doesn't impact the sightlines for a hockey game (Flames rink should be priority #1 IMO) but I would be shocked if that is not something the Flames are looking at.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #1213
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This makes me think the rumor the Flames are looking at a dual purpose stadium is true.

Moveable ceilings is the key for that. Ceiling comes down for a 20k hockey stadium and then transforms for a 40k capacity football stadium.

Not sure how the lower bowl would have to collapse to make room for a football field, and hopefully whatever they do doesn't impact the sightlines for a hockey game (Flames rink should be priority #1 IMO) but I would be shocked if that is not something the Flames are looking at.
I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket, but that's just me.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #1214
MikkaVernon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

So does our '89 and '18 Stanley cup banner move with the ceiling? What about brad Moran????
MikkaVernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #1215
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket, but that's just me.
I can't see how you could design a building to expand/contract enough for CFL and hockey, and still provide a good experience for both events.

And if you could, I can't see how it would be even close to being cheaper than just building separate facilities.

If you watch that Discovery video, there is a short clip that shows something like that.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #1216
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still see us going with something similar to the VTB Arena in Moscow, but on a modified scale (bigger arena, smaller football stadium)

Benefits

- One primary location (re: sporting/entertainment district)
- Year round use of overall facility (hockey, football, concerts, etc)
- One location for Calgary Transit (SunAlta Station)
- One main parkade
- Major concerts and sporting events can operate simultaneously (hockey and big concert, football and small concert, etc).

Here's where it COULD go:

thanks technomad on SSP for the above image

Last edited by Tyler; 01-28-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #1217
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that's pretty cool.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #1218
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:

I would think that it a changable stadium was the way they were going, it would be more for concerts and shows than football. Both reference by the video it self, but also because it's been something they've been lamenting about the design of the current Saddledome. Also changing from 20-12 seems a lot more doable than 40-20.

I know the Flames own the Stamps, and I know that McMahon needs serious renos, but I don't think that's on the horizon for them right now, and I'm not sure what they'd get out of having their own football arena anyway.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #1219
DT77
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
If you watch that Discovery video, there is a short clip that shows something like that.
Yeah, at 5:19 you can see a short clip of how the stadium seating might transform. I'd originally thought it was simply something like Olympic/NHL ice, but the clip appears to show a change from near football size right down to a boxing style lay-out.

Either way, I'm quite interested to see what happens. Just so long as we don't all get our hopes up for some revolutionary and/or awesome design then get slapped with some cookie-cutter monstrocity (aka - third jersey).
DT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #1220
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I know the Flames own the Stamps, and I know that McMahon needs serious renos, but I don't think that's on the horizon for them right now, and I'm not sure what they'd get out of having their own football arena anyway.
Parking revenue, for one. If I'm not mistaken, the Stampede gets all of the parking revenue at the Dome, and the University gets all of the parking revenue at McMahon.

The large, 20,000+ concert potential also exists, which is hampered at McMahon because of the complaints of nearby residents.

Not to mention the increased opportunities to simply sell more stuff - corporate boxes, better/more concessions, etc. I certainly think that McMahon is adequate (some would say "barely") for the 10 CFL games it hosts every year, but a new facility would open up a lot more revenue streams. Particularly if it is fully enclosed.

I'm certainly in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it", but I do think that there are a lot of reasons they'd want to build a new football stadium as well.

Not to mention, and it shouldn't be understated, that building a multi-sport, multi-use facility that can benefit more Calgarians might attract more investors, or more likely, it could be a better pitch for some for tax dollars.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote